• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My special offer to every Signs101 member. 10/14 thru 10/20/2020.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Being that I am a merchant member, the owner of this forum allows me to promote my special offer once a week.

As I see it, every member of Signs101 uses business conversational skills.

My favorite is the
art of listening. What’s more, powerful listening skills are the foundation for all other conversational skills.

Why improve your listening skills? I firmly believe that the business outcome is always positive.

Consider this:

1) In my opinion, if you do improve your listening skills, you will give yourself a significant opportunity to make more money.

2) You will be more productive and get more done faster.

3) Your Return On Investment (ROI), every effort to improve your listening skills pays off immediately,

Now, I want to make something very clear. I am here on Signs101 because I am passionate about the sign making industry and I am adamant about my desire to do whatever I can to help fellow members prosper.

Between you and me, I understand that your own listening skills are unique to you. That is why I first want to get acquainted with you and then team up with you to figure out what might be your best small step forward. Indeed, old habits are not easy to change. And then, my role is to be a part of your practice team. Sounds simple, but it is not easy.

Here is what I am asking you to do. Spend five minutes or less and let’s get acquainted. No obligation, no tricks, just a friendly conversation. After getting better acquainted, you will have the clear opportunity to continue or to stop.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Quality listening enhances sign business relationships.
One of the reasons I have so enjoyed being in the sign making industry is the bond that so often is formed with clients.
The quality of those client relationships affects client retention.
There are many Signs101 members who have "clients for life."
Quality listening adds so much to those important connections.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
We are in an industry that often requires cooperation between two or more people.
The fancy term is, “clusters of collaborative relationships.”
It is in these clusters that great listening skills can produce unexpected and creative results.
I like to call them surprises.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
In general, most people underestimate the importance of skilled listening.

In our sign making industry, poor listening can be costly.

Let me ask you to think back to the last time you had to cover some unexpected costs on a sign project.

If you are willing to discuss it with me, chances are very good that we will discover where skilled listening may have prevented the problem.

twmiller24

I appreciate Robert's persistence. His services may not be valuable to everybody here, but he may be able to help someone else. Plus, he's a merchant member, which means he's paying for the privilege. Thanks!
There are many different levels of expertise here. I'm a printer operator, not a business owner or salesperson. I'm a relative newbie to the business, since 2013 or so. I know a lot more than I used to about the production end, but not so much about the business end. Others are different.
I don't want to assume everyone on the forum is the same.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Here is a tip for those who just might be interested.

Consider reading this short book.

“Are you listening or just waiting to speak? The secret to propelling your business relationships.”
by Jane Adshead-Grant

Only 75 pages and it will get you started in the right direction.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
That's a loaded question. When my wife starts talking, I listen for a minute and then start thinking about what I am going to say when she is finally finished. This way it at least looks like I was listening, even though I was actually trying very hard to listen to the TV going in the background. The faster I can figure out what to say, the quicker I can get back to my show and not miss anything.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I've learned (learning) to keep it short, or he won't hear any of it, and I may as well have not said anything at all.
What kills me is his "selective listening".... I'll be sitting right next to him on the couch - he doesn't hear a word. I mumble something under my breath (that he's not supposed to hear) and he can hear it from the next room. :doh:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, it goes both ways, I'm sure. My listening skills have been getting better over the years. At night, I like the television on to loll me to sleep. My wife conks out rather easily and I hafta turn the volume wa-a-a-ay down, so it doesn't disturb her, so I really listen very intently. I can now practically read lips. However, we just switched carriers last week and the new one has blue-tooth available, so all I need to do is get a headset and she won't hear a thing and I can go to sleep quietly. Now, I hafta figure out how to stop the flashing of the television screen bouncing around on the dark walls at night. Now that bothers her. Always something, but I listen to her lists of dos and don'ts. I'm a real good listener. Been in training a long long time.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've learned (learning) to keep it short, or he won't hear any of it, and I may as well have not said anything at all.
What kills me is his "selective listening".... I'll be sitting right next to him on the couch - he doesn't hear a word. I mumble something under my breath (that he's not supposed to hear) and he can hear it from the next room. :doh:
LOL! I was told I get 20 seconds. If the story has no point or direction in 20 seconds, he's probably just looking at me to be nice and not listening to a word. Sometimes I say..."OK, this is a good one, but it's gonna be more than 20 seconds so LISTEN UP!" :D

Notarealsignguy

LOL! I was told I get 20 seconds. If the story has no point or direction in 20 seconds, he's probably just looking at me to be nice and not listening to a word. Sometimes I say..."OK, this is a good one, but it's gonna be more than 20 seconds so LISTEN UP!" :D
That's about the point I ask her if she's done yet, then the story will tighten up. Or if I want her to shutup, I pause the TV. Not sure why that works but it does every time.

Johnny Best

You pause the TV? Man I am not allowed to have or touch the remote. If I told her she had twenty seconds to tell me something, well, that would not go well.

Johnny Best

Well give her the remote tonight while you read a 75 page book on how to do better in your listening skills to help your business.

Notarealsignguy

but then she's gonna want to tell me all about the shows she's watching and I wont be able to read. It's a vicious cycle