• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My Very First 3D Sign w/ the Shaper Origin

This is probably going to make a lot of yall cringe!

But I am posting here in hopes to get some constructive criticism and learn more about the sign making ways. I am hobbyist woodworker and have acquired a new tool that has lead me down the path of making a sign for my wife's company to hang on the front of their building.

First off I am starting with cheap materials to cut down on cost as I struggle through some of the newbie mistakes. So I know the finished product will not be near as professional as most of the signs on here. But I am hoping it comes out well enough to simply work...

Finished sign will be 72"x41" and will hang 15ft off the ground on front of a metal building.

Materials and Tools (so far):

EPS Foam form Home Depot

Router Bit

Handheld CNC router

Sign Logo:
color logo-01.png

color%20logo-01.png

First Step: Test cuts and experimenting with glues

The foam cut well!

I have tested 3m Super 77 and Gorilla Glue. The Gorilla glue is the winner here. I can pull hard enough to separate two pieces with the 77. There is no way the one that was glued withe gorilla will come apart.

I just need to be careful on the amount of Gorilla I put down because I dont want all the foamy squeeze out.
Photo Feb 14, 9 12 53 PM.jpg

Photo Feb 14, 9 30 56 PM.jpg
Photo Feb 15, 7 27 00 AM.jpg

color%20logo-01.png

color%20logo-01.png

Last edited:

henryz

Well it looks pretty good being they are cut by hand, are they 3in. deep. They don't have 3" at HD. I think it might be a bit faster and cleaner if you cut them on a band saw? but it's all good please show us the finish product.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Can run a 1/8" deep channel on the backs for the glue line. helps prevent leaks.

Well it looks pretty good being they are cut by hand, are they 3in. deep. They don't have 3" at HD. I think it might be a bit faster and cleaner if you cut them on a band saw? but it's all good please show us the finish product.

The router can only cut 1.5 deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

henryz

Maybe with a longer bit, I found a few Onsrud that can cut up to 3" on Amazon, but for foam I'm sure any will work.

henryz

Yes but, but you'll need to do it in 2 passes and I'm not sure how easy that would be with your router. We use a CNC so we can program it to do 2 pass it to cut thick materials.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
Looking good. I got my Shaper in the first batch release. I bought some of that foam to practice, but ended up practicing in Sign Foam. I have done several jobs with mine and currently have two 4' x 8' x 1.5'' Sign foam panels waiting. Cutting a glue channel is a good idea when stacking materials like you have done.

ikarasu

How do you guys like your shaper? I heard other than being slow, and the consumable tape for registration, it actually works pretty good and accurately. I was thinking of building my own CNC For home for fun.. but the shaper might be good enough for my needs!

Yes but, but you'll need to do it in 2 passes and I'm not sure how easy that would be with your router. We use a CNC so we can program it to do 2 pass it to cut thick materials.

NO NO NO. You can't cut deeper then the depth of the cutter. Just NO. If I have to explain this... you should be studying. Doesn't matter how many passes you do the cutting depth is still only 1.25". Even worse this bit that you bought off of amazon only has a .5" cutting depth. So you wouldn't even be able to cut the 1.5" foam you are working on right now.

NO NO NO. You can't cut deeper then the depth of the cutter. Just NO. If I have to explain this... you should be studying. Doesn't matter how many passes you do the cutting depth is still only 1.25". Even worse this bit that you bought off of amazon only has a .5" cutting depth. So you wouldn't even be able to cut the 1.5" foam you are working on right now.

The bit I got has a 1” cutting length. You have to change the options in amazon. I am going to try it. I will let you know if it turns out to a big NO NO...

How do you guys like your shaper? I heard other than being slow, and the consumable tape for registration, it actually works pretty good and accurately. I was thinking of building my own CNC For home for fun.. but the shaper might be good enough for my needs!

I really like it. Super accurate. There are jigs you can make that will hold the tape permanently. Will help cut the cost. But on big panels there is no way around using a roll of tape.

ikarasu

I really like it. Super accurate. There are jigs you can make that will hold the tape permanently. Will help cut the cost. But on big panels there is no way around using a roll of tape.

Have you tried printing your own tape? I'm not sure how cheap / expensive it is... But I'm sure shipping it to Canada and ordering it wouldnt be very cost effective. However printing 10-20ft on a cheap roll of vinyl, then cutting it out on.the graphtec would be very cost effective. Not sure if it's a pattern that could be copied though... One of the main reasons holding.me back from buying one though.