• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Name that in 4, 3, 2, 1...................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Someone has another thread going about the name of a particular tool they needed. Quite understandable, not knowing everything in the business, but someone mentioned something about unknown names or what other people call any type of part or component

Therefore, I thought it would be neat to play a guessing game by calling out something and see who can answer it and then offer up the next what is it ?? Don't offer up the next item, until the last one has been answered. I'll start.

A term I learned about 40 years ago was "a Keepaway". So, what is it ??

sardocs

Are you referring to painting a shadow on a letter that doesn't quite touch? We used to call that an "Away-shade" when I was first apprenticing hand lettering.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you referring to painting a shadow on a letter that doesn't quite touch? We used to call that an "Away-shade" when I was first apprenticing hand lettering.

Ding.... ding.......ding........ ding............

Yep, that's it. There were all kinds things to do to a letter after you painted it. Outlining and shadowing were among the most preferred ways, as they were the easiest. While you called it Away-Shade, our term was a Keepaway. Now, doing a shadow on a shaded letter was always fun and took a little more planning, but after awhile, one could do it, off-the-brush.

Okay, now you come up with one :thumb:

petepaz

Headliner.JPG

when i first started if our computer was down i had to use this to make text. shoot each letter one at a time on 35mm film and then go in the dark room and develop it.

Billct2

Again, yeah, but using what ?? Depends on the surface, right?
The first time I did it on a brick wall I didn't know about fitches...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is that Clay Alexander ?? He wore a white hat before ya really knew who it was. :thumb:

and I always thought this is what that referred to..................
cutting in.jpg