• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a new Desktop computer soon, any recommendations?

BSL Graphix

I'm currently running my operation off of a Walmart store bought Dell Inspiron 560 With Windows 7 (please don't laugh at me ha ha). Specs are Pentium R Dual-core CPU, 64 bit Operating System, and 4 GB Ram,

I use this computer for design, rip/print, and cutting, etc.

Any help and advice on where to look for new computer and also what parts/pieces are recommended for my tasks.

Chasez

Personally I would build my own and would recommend it (if you know how to assemble a pc and install all the necessary programs etc.). I do that for all pc's in our office depending on it's purpose. Also buying a prebuilt (maybe not sign burst pc's) like dell or hp etc all have unnecessary programs install that just slow down the pc.

anyhow that's my 2 cents for what its worth ahah

Chaz

rossmosh

I'd recommend going on Slickdeals.net and putting up an alert for computers. It will email/text you whenever a deal comes up that meets your parameters. Evaluate the deal and buy based on budget & specs.

You don't need to build your own PC to get a good system. You can get a good quality system off the shelf. I would also recommend maxing out the ram and adding a SSD if it doesn't have one already. It's also recommended to reformat and reinstall Windows so that you get as fresh of a start as possible. None of this is all that difficult and can be done in an afternoon while watching TV on your couch.

player

Things I think are important:
-fastest i7 chip you can afford (Check Tom's Hardware Page for test ratings)
-higher quality motherboard
-32 gigs of RAM
-Solid State Hardrive for C drive (programs and windows)
-72 RPM hard drive for data
-big power supply (850 Watts or more)
-larger case for adding components and ease of access
-I use fanless graphics cards because when the little fans stop the card burns up...

Places like Tiger Direct will assemble your components for a reasonable fee.

WildWestDesigns

Custom builds are a good way to go. I would also suggest talking to Casey and see what he recommends for you.

As far as RAM goes, not all RAM is the same (same thing with processors etc).

Dealing mainly with embroidery digitizing programs (CAD type with 3D rendering), Blender and your typical Adobe products, 16 GBs of your typical DDR 3 (although I think we are up to DDR 4 now) is not the same as 16 GBs of ECC RAM (this just runs much faster). Same thing with video cards.

Off the shelf (and my main design computer), I suggest the Lenovo Thinkstations, but I also run 2 OSs at the same time as well, so for some, it might be overkill.

kheebl

I custom built mine, I was going to assemble mine myself but Micro Center did it for a very reasonable fee and that included a warranty so I went that route.

AF

I build all our PCs and would do that as a first choice. Lacking the expertise to build one, I would suggest Casey at SignBurst. Last resort would be to buy a clone (are they still called clones?).