• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Need A New Heat Gun

My heat gun finally kicked the bucket, so I'm looking for a new one. What do you guys recommend or use? My previous was a corded Makita. Has anyone tried the cordless heat guns?

JamesLam

Been using the Porter Cable 1500W heat gun. Seems to last for us. Probably another item made by one company but with enough variation that they look proprietary

signheremd

We just buy Wagner Furno 300s from the local hardware store. They are less than $30 bucks, so if one gets dropped it is not that big a deal; nothing worse than spending big bucks on a deluxe heat gun and dropping it. Really like the way they are designed so that you can set them down pointed up and they are stable.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have a corded dewalt and a cordless. I don't like the cordless one, it doesn't work as well as the corded.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I have the cordless dewalt, and I really like it for on-site installs, but it is NOT a replacement for a corded model. As far as corded models go, I have had several of the wagners over the years, but all of them I have been buying lately are the Harbor Freight specials, and throw them away when they go out, which hasn't been too bad. I know they aren't cool like the professionals use, but safer than a torch for some of my employees anyway.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I really like our corded DeWalt heat gun. We were buying the Harbor Freight cheapies, but I was getting tired of constant replacement.

I'm not overly impressed with the cordless heat gun. It works okay for heat shrink on soldered wiring connections.

DaveD

61t8nUt2EuS._AC_SY879_.jpg
We buy these 6 at a time and always try to keep two on the shelf in the box. We get about 6 months of hard use out of them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have a wagner 3000 turbo for 20 some years and it's great. We also use old hair dryers for removing vinyl lettering from various substrates.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
We keep buying wagners corded ones. I really wanted a cordless but after seeing Stacey K 's review, i think I will have to investigate more for our offsite jobs.

gnubler

I use a cheap cordless Ryobi heat gun if I'm out in the field and there's no power available. It's fine for small applications and I always bring backup batteries.

Gary1

I used the Porter Cable and they didn’t last. Cheaper no brand guns lasted longer. Now I use a cordless Milwaukee which is great! And I bought two Steinel heat guns. With the digital readout and variable speed fan and heat. Also bought the temp reader that snaps on the top so I know what I’m post heating my wraps too. $$$ but I really like having well made tools.

brdesign

I use a cheap cordless Ryobi heat gun if I'm out in the field and there's no power available. It's fine for small applications and I always bring backup batteries.
I have a bunch of Ryobi batteries, do you think their cordless heat gun would be good enough for post-heating vinyl wrap? I mainly use a torch for installing vehicle wraps but prefer a heat gun for post-heating and I'm not always near an electrical outlet.

unmateria

My bosch has 15-16 years. Now the fan make some noise but that thing is unbreakable lol (was like 200€ about 2007). I have a portable milwaki too since 3-4 years... Works great for little vynil jobs (about 400€ with 2 batteries) but for anything else.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We just buy Wagner Furno 300s from the local hardware store. They are less than $30 bucks, so if one gets dropped it is not that big a deal; nothing worse than spending big bucks on a deluxe heat gun and dropping it. Really like the way they are designed so that you can set them down pointed up and they are stable.
Thanks bought 2, they stand on end which should be handy. Was buying the cheaper Wagner's which also work good but there's no good way to set them down. We get about a week out of them and then an employee lays them on top of the cord.

SignosaurusRex

I skipped the corded and cordless guns years ago. My Bernzomatic® BZ4500HS is my "Go-To" for all jobs and I'll never go back. Easy to throw in my install bag, no cords, no batteries works anywhere and anytime. Just use Propane. Rated for vinyl and wrapping. Also highly useful for other tasks that cannot be handled by any heat gun. One can switch the fuel to MapGas and weld thin walled aluminum (sign frames etc.) with the proper rod. I keep one in each shop, one in my installation go-bag and one in my truck box.
While it may seem a bit intimidating, one can master the technique of using a torch with little effort.