• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need advice quickly... Re: One Shot and Clear Coating with Mathews Clear

tebond

I sprayed a two panel sign with Mathews Brilliant Gold Metallic with catalyst and reducer, then I clear coated with Mathews (catalyst and reducer), I let the Clear cure 36 hours and then masked and lettered the sign panels. Evidently the clear had not cured completely and the mask dulled the finish some but more noticeable are tape marks in the clear where I taped up large areas to be painted with the One Shot. The One Shot Enamel is a mixed blue with a little One Shot Hardener. I have had the panels after lettering curing up in the sun for two days now in the hopes I may be able to Re-spray Mathews clear to remedy this situation. It is now Friday night and I have to deliver the signs Tuesday. Is there a way I can spray Mathews Clear to conceal the tape marks. Or any suggestions how to conceal these marks easily.

visual800

I would mist the next clear and then a heavier coat. Put it on too thick and it might be too hot and jack everything up. The clear should conceal all issues

SuncitySigns

Why don't you just coat n push the clear we're it's dulled. Same theory as cutting n polishing a car when the clear coat has dulled over the years.

tebond

Another question before I do this

What about sanding first so the clear would hold. Would a very light wet sand with 1500 grit be sufficient, like just a quick wipe as to not to damage the lettering. The clear and push, what's that.

Craig Sjoquist

Tebo .. You mentioned added harder .. So just like PHD said mist 1st coat clear heavier 2nd & yes a light wet sand is even better.

You will be fine adding harder helps prevents other paints & clears of harming 1 Shot.
Wet sanding will give the clear some tooth to bite & smoother surface.
Clears will camouflage surface strangeness.

tebond

Thanks for the input, am headed to the shop to light wet sand, mist and then I'll wait about 20-30 minutes and put the wet coat on, sure hope it will cure up by Tuesday early afternoon. I'll check for any more info in about an hour.

Jillbeans

Just be careful, I have had 1Shot crinkle like crazy after spraying it with clear (even their own aerosol clear)
Love....Jill