• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

NEED HELP DECIDING. UV PRINTER OR INKJET

User#1

Hello ALL!

Currently new here and have couple questions.
1. Currently have a Roland Eco-Solvent Wide Format Printer. Looking to uprade.
Not sure wheter to go head towards UV printing or Inkjet Printing.

What I Do Mainly
-Lots of Banners
-Large Stickers for window Install
-Small Decals here and there
-Partial Car Wraps
-Mesh Stickers
etc

Please let me know which route to go and if you HAVE ANY PRINTERS YOU RECOMMNED I TRULY THANK YOU
DRYING TIME is a +

Thank You ALL!!

ToTo

Professional Support
If you’d like to print for indoor usage check out non smelling inks. Latex would fit. Outdoor non laminated go for UV. Small stickers with text go for eco-solvent. There is no machine that can do all at same time.

ToTo

Professional Support
UV is a thick layer of ink which can’t be laminated without shadows. Latex can be laminated immediately. Solvent based inks needs time to evaporate all components and might affect stickiness of laminate.

Dale D

My TR2 Roland ink doesnt really have much of any smell and dries ready for laminate in 4 hrs as per 3M and Roland

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
If you print wraps with a solvent printer and use a BBC infrared dryer in front of it, it can go right onto the laminator like a latex does.
Something I've developed for customers starting back in the days with the HP9000.
Bruce

karst41

Hello ALL!

What I Do Mainly
-Lots of Banners
-Partial Car Wraps
-Mesh Stickers
etc

Please let me know which route to go and if you HAVE ANY PRINTERS YOU RECOMMNED I TRULY THANK YOU
DRYING TIME is a +

Thank You ALL!!
Get the HP Latex 365.
These are reliable and you do not see complaints with them.
I have a 560 and the 560 is horrible for the quick One Off jobs, But when my production ramps
up I ink 2 rolls per day. I could get 3 rolls, but after inking 2 full rolls, I want it to cool down.
The 3rd roll would be an overnight rip. That is what the 560/570 series does best.

Colorfast note:
On the big jobs I am loading 1J 180 cv3, the inks are the 831A, and then I move to Laminate with 8519.
after 12 years in the west sun we see a 3-5% color wash out...
Removals are doable.
The 7 year removals are a breeze.

Solvents Eco Solvents I would just Avoid Period.

Solvents require an 24 hour off gas minimum and I will not move to cut
in less than 30 hours.

Latex has no wait.
No Fumes, Low Heat, Low consumable cost.
Print heads are recycled and about $135 per head. Capping station wiper station are in 1 cartridge
that cost $145. these are user changeable and the printer does auto align.
No Solvents, but if you need to IPA alcohol does the job.

Do your homework. you will not find a better printer for the money. Its a very reasonable price.
I think Grimco has a Demo Room

For Now Avoid the White ink printers.. Join the HP Latex Group on Facebook.
It is honest group and if there is a complaint on any printer you will see it there.

I could continue,, but why?

Also, these pair up beautifully with Flexi, and running under color correctiion PMS Colors are
right on the money. There are a few PMS Colors that are iffy, but only a few and you can work your way around that.

Cheers!

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Hello ALL!

What I Do Mainly
-Lots of Banners
-Partial Car Wraps
-Mesh Stickers
etc

DRYING TIME is a +

Thank You ALL!!
I have an HP315. It's a great printer. FWIW I would add a takeup reel.

Inks

And regarding car-wrapping UV inks are (mostly) less stretchable than latex and solvent based inks.
Not true, there are UV inks that can be digital or screen printed and thermoformed (stretched more than 6")
EFI bought this technology for digital from Polymeric. EFI also has a flexible wrap ink with 3M warranty.
The EFI flexible wrap inks can be laminated without shadows or silvering. However the printers are costly.

FastStickers

Some solvent printers need less off gassing time. For example we use Epson S80600 printers which Epson advertises as a 6hr wait time before laminating.

For your purposes I would go with either latex or solvent. There are pros and cons to each. I am partial to solvent such as the Epson printers simply because the color accuracy and gamut is noticeably better than latex.

ToTo

Professional Support
Some solvent printers need less off gassing time. For example we use Epson S80600 printers which Epson advertises as a 6hr wait time before laminating.

For your purposes I would go with either latex or solvent. There are pros and cons to each. I am partial to solvent such as the Epson printers simply because the color accuracy and gamut is noticeably better than latex.
Offgassingtime unrolled.
Regarding gamut I would not say so. But, halftone printers have bigger range to control colors. Contone printers like HP doesn‘t offer this functionality, but it’s easier to control colors in future. For halftone printers you need extra equipment and knowledge on color workflow / transitions ect

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Which is kind of a downside if you only have one machine but wanted to use it for both purposes mixed.
Why,
Flatbed = rigid ink
R2R = flex ink

But most "rigid" inks are quite flexible anyway, from what i've tested in the last few years.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Why,
Flatbed = rigid ink
R2R = flex ink

But most "rigid" inks are quite flexible anyway, from what i've tested in the last few years.
Well I did just say one machine, not two. And sure yeah if you have a flatbed you probably also have a roll machine but that's not the point.
They wouldn't make different ink sets for same machine if there wasn't any demand for it. Some platforms have what, 4 different options of ink?

I don't want to make this latex vs uv argument but still, only one ink to do both is pretty good.

Example: UCJV-300 (something that OP is probably considering), you have option for LUS-170 and LUS-200. There is clearly major difference to have two options for flexible printing.
If it's your only printer, you must choose what will be best for you.

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Well I did just say one machine, not two. And sure yeah if you have a flatbed you probably also have a roll machine but that's not the point.
They wouldn't make different ink sets for same machine if there wasn't any demand for it. Some platforms have what, 4 different options of ink?

I don't want to make this latex vs uv argument but still, only one ink to do both is pretty good.

Example: UCJV-300 (something that OP is probably considering), you have option for LUS-170 and LUS-200. There is clearly major difference to have two options for flexible printing.
If it's your only printer, you must choose what will be best for you.

There isn't many flatbed + R2R machines out there. it's either one or the other.
And if it was a dual use machine, you'd opt for the more flexible ink.

For example, we have samples from the swissqprint nyala 3.
one was a 100gsm poster paper. scrunched it up with minimal cracking.