• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help finding copyright owner on a design

Gino

Premium Subscriber
your analogy makes sense...however. What about if that liquor store was on the side of the road and the bottles at some point were stolen themselves?

What in the h*ll does that mean ?? Now you wanna change the parameters to make it alright to steal ??

Look, if you want the art, the bottles or whatever, go for it. No one's stopping you. But to come here and purposely tell people falsehoods, is just irresponsible and wrong. So, do as you feel good doing and stop looking back, cause it ain't purrty.

PhilaWraps

What in the h*ll does that mean ?? Now you wanna change the parameters to make it alright to steal ??

Look, if you want the art, the bottles or whatever, go for it. No one's stopping you. But to come here and purposely tell people falsehoods, is just irresponsible and wrong. So, do as you feel good doing and stop looking back, cause it ain't purrty.

ummmm maybe in your old age you forgot that I'm not the OP. I could care less what happens "here". I was just weighing in with my .02.

Johnny Best

I think stealing from your boss a couple pencils and some tape is three Hail Marys, about 10 minutes.
Robbing the Liquor store is 5 to 10.
Sit down and create your own gooffy Calvin peeing or stick figure humping some letters Dr. Decal.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
ummmm maybe in your old age you forgot that I'm not the OP. I could care less what happens "here". I was just weighing in with my .02.

.02? That's an overinflated estimate...

I admire the OP for being a stand-up person and at least asking. There was legislation called "Orphan Works" This would have fallen into that category, that bill died so you are stuck with looking for the designer.
Even thought it's most likely the OP will not get into any trouble, these "stickers" are not worth the risk... go find good paying work instead of churning out this cr@p or design your own clever sticker...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
jeez - just change it a bit and make it your own!

Ummmm..... maybe you can't read or comprehend your own writing, but this is what you wrote buttnoid. I might be old, but I don't forget what I wrote just hours ago. You oughta have that checked.

You're still the one who came here and told 'em to do the dishonest thing.

PhilaWraps

not looking to continue down this path with you guys... I run a straight up business and don't need to defend myself at all. You guys have fun debating bumper sticker creative.

equippaint

With these cheesy types of decals all over the place, Id be surprised if the original "designer" even knows that they were the first to come up with it. Probably some dude working out of his bedroom on a cricut, sold them on ebay and 500 other cricut guys started doing them too.

I must ask, what is your grand plan with these things?

Personally I hate them, the dumb little family people stickers, the now dead pissing calvin, AR silhouettes, fish, soccer balls, whatever. There almost as bad as political crap plastered all over your back window but to each their own. Its a car, not a refrigerator.

Sadie Prosser

BGR Signs
Im trying to find out who the owner copyright holder is for the decal that says F*it with the stick figure on the letters i and t.. Im trying to see if i can buy a license for it ,I cant seem to find anything on it except everyone that sells it.. Hopefully someone can help..Ive tried everything i could think of to look online and im getting nothing.. Thank you .
You could also have someone change it at least 30% and make it your own design. I can help www.kabinfeverdesign.com, I love logo remakes as I can make them better ;)

sardocs

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, I don't think a 30% change is enough to make it legal or ethical. You should increase that to 100% to be certain you are safe. If you only steal 30% of someone elses money you are still 100% a thief, not just a 30% thief.

Johnny Best

I agree with sardocs and this is what I think of you changing 30% of logos.
f u.jpg

Joe Diaz

You could also have someone change it at least 30% and make it your own design. I can help www.kabinfeverdesign.com, I love logo remakes as I can make them better ;)
Just curious. How does one actually measure 30% of a design? I mean I've heard something like this stated before. It's been different percentages each time. If there is some arbitrary percentage that one would have to change a design to make it okay to copy another design without permission, I'm curious as to how people quantify that. Maybe to better help some of us understand, use the Signs101 logo as an example. How would you change that by exactly 30%?

neato

Just curious. How does one actually measure 30% of a design? I mean I've heard something like this stated before. It's been different percentages each time. If there is some arbitrary percentage that one would have to change a design to make it okay to copy another design without permission, I'm curious as to how people quantify that. Maybe to better help some of us understand, use the Signs101 logo as an example. How would you change that by exactly 30%?

I think this is about 30% Joe...

Attachments

• s101.jpg
    s101.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 145