• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Need help finding jobs to bid

Orlando

Where can I find jobs to bid? I live in the Bay area California. I recently started my own sign business. But how do I go about bidding large jobs. Where do people find leads.

Orlando

I was a installer now I am a contractor. I was wondering if there were any platforms, app, or sites being used.

teampix

Founder, President, Janitor
Imagine a time not so long ago when there were no "apps" or "sites" and a "platform" was just a horizontal surface raised above the level of the adjacent area. Many a successful business started in this very environment doing just what Gino stated. Identify your potential customers, present your services to them and hopefully don't screw it up.

pro-up

Your first step is calling all large GCs, no matter the state they are based in, so long as they work in your preferred areas. You can search for the largest GCs (like AECOM & Skanska in CA). Ask if they have any active projects and let them know you would like to be added to their bid list. If they do not have projects, still ask to be added to their bid list for future projects. The emails will start coming in pretty quickly.

The next thing is register with every county and city bid board. These are usually free, and this is how you are notified about new projects. If you are interested in bidding on government specific projects, you will need to register with SAM.GOV (if you have not already done so). This is a slow process and does take a few months for approval.

I have found the easiest way to find projects is reaching out to the GCs first. If you are considered a small business, you can also register with the DOT and be notified of upcoming transportation projects. Another resource are airports and schools (primary and colleges). They sometimes have project boards that you can sign up with to be notified of projects. There are a lot of free ways to start this process. Search for local government websites. They will sometimes allow you to sign up for bid notifications.

Another resource are large architectural firms. They will sometimes keep a posting of new and upcoming projects. Mosley Architects does this (off the top of my head). I have seen others as well, but this is more of a time-consuming search than the others I mentioned.

After you have done these, then I would consider a project bid site. The cheapest one I am aware of is FindRFP (https://findrfp.com/). One thing to think about, this is the end of year and salespeople will give major discounts for people to sign up on other bid boards. I did that with one and got the price knocked down to $300 for the year from $1500. It's worth a call / email to some of the big project bid sites.

If you have more questions, you can email me directly and we can chat - rlm@pro-up.net. Good luck and happy hunting!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If you have tools and a bucket truck, call your local sign companies and offer sub-contract work. I had more than I could handle doing that. I ran with no decals on my truck and did work for all of them. Big sign companies have too much work and pass along the overflow. Smaller companies (like Fast Signs) probably don't have their own bucket trucks and will sub their bigger installs out to you.

Orlando

Your first step is calling all large GCs, no matter the state they are based in, so long as they work in your preferred areas. You can search for the largest GCs (like AECOM & Skanska in CA). Ask if they have any active projects and let them know you would like to be added to their bid list. If they do not have projects, still ask to be added to their bid list for future projects. The emails will start coming in pretty quickly.

The next thing is register with every county and city bid board. These are usually free, and this is how you are notified about new projects. If you are interested in bidding on government specific projects, you will need to register with SAM.GOV (if you have not already done so). This is a slow process and does take a few months for approval.

I have found the easiest way to find projects is reaching out to the GCs first. If you are considered a small business, you can also register with the DOT and be notified of upcoming transportation projects. Another resource are airports and schools (primary and colleges). They sometimes have project boards that you can sign up with to be notified of projects. There are a lot of free ways to start this process. Search for local government websites. They will sometimes allow you to sign up for bid notifications.

Another resource are large architectural firms. They will sometimes keep a posting of new and upcoming projects. Mosley Architects does this (off the top of my head). I have seen others as well, but this is more of a time-consuming search than the others I mentioned.

After you have done these, then I would consider a project bid site. The cheapest one I am aware of is FindRFP (https://findrfp.com/). One thing to think about, this is the end of year and salespeople will give major discounts for people to sign up on other bid boards. I did that with one and got the price knocked down to $300 for the year from $1500. It's worth a call / email to some of the big project bid sites.

If you have more questions, you can email me directly and we can chat - rlm@pro-up.net. Good luck and happy hunting!
Wow this is the best reply by far! Thank you very much

Orlando

Thank you. I'm going to get started with what you suggested and I hope to get a bid going. How would you write your bids would you use a template or create your own from scratch?

pro-up

Thank you. I'm going to get started with what you suggested and I hope to get a bid going. How would you write your bids would you use a template or create your own from scratch?
That really depends on the GC you bid with. They will sometimes have forms that are required to be used. Those are provided to you. However, if they do not require anything then you are free to provide them pricing in whatever format you would normally use. There are a lot of things to not forget to include. Taxes - is the project tax exempt? Install - are you self-installing or outsourcing? Pricing is very competitive and so are lead times on projects. Start researching who you plan to use if you are not making the signs yourself. Exemptions - are there certain things you do not want to include? Make sure it is clearly noted that whatever you do not want to include is excluded from your bid. Don't forget to include a line item for samples. Almost every project will require material samples and actual mockups of the signs (sometimes used in the projects, but do not count on this being the case).

When you bid on projects you will want to find out if the GC is the prime already awarded the project. If not, call the architect and ask if there is a bid list. Then, contact every GC on the list to see if they are interested in receiving bids (I do not recommend waiting until the day of bid to do this, try to do this as soon in the process as possible to give you time). This increases your chances of winning. Projects can have anywhere from 3 to nearly 20 GCs bidding. So, why not use the same bid for each one? Take this time to also ask the GC receptionist to add you to the bid list on future projects. This way, even if you do not win, you will be made aware of future opportunities.

visual800

One of the best things I have found is installing for other sign companies and find out who is building or renovating new locations.

If I see a building has sold or is under new lease I get on it, find out whose moving in and contact them, if I see developments going on I do the same.

City county bids have become bureacratic BS in my area. My city makes you sign up for some 3rd party that you have to pay for to view city bids and of course with city county bids they always go for the lowest bidder. Not my cup of tea.

Do not waste your time or money with small business workshops or those stupid chamber meetings, where everyone likes to stroke each other and show off, they neever have any good contacts unless you like shmoozing. I dont shmooze.

GC are good as someone else mentioned but dont expect them to be loyal for a long time which is fine it can open the door for another one

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I hope it does help. I have a lot of experience bidding on projects, so feel free to message with any questions. : )
Do you spend all your time bidding or actually win the project?

When someone wants me to bid, I'm usually turned off. Not a way to get Tex in bed when I have to compete with others... I want to be the only one they want.

netsol

Do you spend all your time bidding or actually win the project?

When someone wants me to bid, I'm usually turned off. Not a way to get Tex in bed when I have to compete with others... I want to be the only one they want.
nothing personal, but, there are other sign shops.
the only way for you to be the only one bidding would be to have a signs101 reunion and poison the dinner

i am sure you have a successful business, but, you can't have that big a following

netsol

many clients have guidelines to follow, where 3 bids are mandatory before approving the project.

i can't tell you how many times a client has accidently" left a folder with the other bids on the conference table, though

netsol

SORRY, I KNOW I AM GOING ON...

the last time you had your bucket truck fixed, didn't you have a better understanding of the need for competitive bidding?