• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help JV3-250sp Overspray and Nozzles Missaligned, Droplets..

bigboiient

Hi, I just got a JV3-250SP,

I saw the machine working 100% before i purchased with none of these issues present, Took a little while almost 2 months for me to pick it up and install it at my shop.
Once i installed the machine, the nozzles were fully clogged. Did multiple cleans soaks, manually flushing the heads and have now got them how the image is attached,

Once i started test prints i noticed the over-spray which i see on multiple colors...

I'm also getting some slight yellow droplets on the prints.....

Also i Have OnyX and Wasatch SoftRip which do you guys prefer.......

I have new Head cables coming in to see if maybe that whats causing my over-spray problem...
IMG_00000348.jpg IMG_00000342.jpg
Please Guys help me get this machine back up to par.....

What did i do to get the machine to this point..

Several nozzle Wash
Changed a Damper
Ran flush trough cyan line to open up the line.....
Clean clogged caps and pump lines......
with Syringe flushed out each head......
Multiple Overnight Soaks,
I did everything possible im very tech savy...

Very Familiar to the JV33 as it was my previous machine.

In New Jersey....

Thanks Ahead Guys i love this Forum it always has helped me alot...

MikePro

did you check the encoder strip & remove the encoder sensor to inspect the lenses?
dust&debris could have been knocked loose in transit.

is that overspray in the test print? yikes

i assume you gave the machine a full cleaning-over? printer sits for that long, some gunked-up ink could be generating those ink droplets from the capping station, wiper blade, wiper blade cover(even the foam pad inside the wiper cover), f/r/&sides of printhead and for the nozzles of the printhead i'll even drench a foam swab in cleaning solution and wipe gently in the same fashion as the wiper mechanism (only 1 wipe per side of the foam swab. double-wiping is bad)

also doesn't hurt to rule-out loose connections by powering-down the machine, discharging it like you would a computer, and disconnect/reconnect ribbon cables and inspect for bends/cracks while you're at it.

:Welcome::signs101:

genericname

If you've flushed the cyan lines and soaked it that well, there's a good chance that head is borked. As for the overspray, it could be a voltage issue (doubt it, as it was working before), or the encoder scale/sensor is dirty.

It could be other things, but those are the best places to start.

bigboiient

Update Same Issue

Ok Guys so i took the encoder sensor out and with lint free cloth wiped it down was very dirty, took all the gunk and ink off of it.....

Tadaaaaa :help

Same Issue,

same over spray problem....

i have a 2 pairs of head cables im about to changes those now to see if i get a difference...

another think got this Y Current Error during a test print and it stopped printing.... any ideas hopefully the motor is not dieing on me now....

Wish me luck.....

bigboiient

I need Serious Helpp

So i managed to finish messing up the head cables on the black head so now i have new cables on black and magenta......

here are some images to show the current prints....

Test Draw is now almost 99% a couple of nozzles shooting a little off but they look mostly all firing...

Still have a bad over-spray problem....

Also seems like i have to calibrate the banding.... but ima let you guys tell me what you think...

I really need to get this machine going got all my money in this and have not produced the first print yet.....

IMG_00000357.jpg IMG_00000352.jpg IMG_00000349.jpg IMG_00000363.jpg IMG_00000358.jpg IMG_00000361.jpg

genericname

You might need to open up your media comp juuuuust a little, but that banding patttern is consistent with the deflected nozzles you're getting in the test pattern. You'll either have to live with it, or switch out/recover your heads.

As for the overspray, have you tried printing at a different resolution? If it goes away, it's either your #adjust2 alignment, or the board. One of our JV3s has a brutal yellow overspray on 720x1440var, and alignment is perfect, but if I drop it to any other resolution, the problem disappears.

bigboiient

im printing at 720x720 uni directional.... for some reason if i do bi-directional it goes all wacky..... let me try 720x1440

bigboiient

Update

Ok guys i ran the machine at 720x720 bi-directional fixed dot not variable dot and it printed slow... to much ink being put on the vinyl but no over spray.....

same thing when i tired the print adjust 2 when i was adjusting the variable dot the lines were not straight the dots where all overthe place the line was more like a wave.. but when any other dot option it printed fine.....

bigboiient

Wow this is a nightmare.......

so now im getting firewire board errors might have to send it to macmedia.......

but i changed a head to a previously good but clogged head i had in a ultrasonic cleaner.... and running cleaning and soaks now to see if i can get it back to 100percent.... right now maybe 50%
To see if the magenta overspray was being caused by a faulty head....

What causes firewire boards to go i know that the capacitors blow out but where is this surge in voltage generated from...
Computer Connections or Surges in electricity from the wall outlet ?

cleaning now to see what i get from this head wish me luck....

MikePro

What causes firewire boards to go i know that the capacitors blow out but where is this surge in voltage generated from...

static shock from not discharging the machine/yourself before working on it?
...how do you know it's a board issue? what's it doing? what did you do?

you're all-over the place here. keep calm, and diagnose/service carefully. can o' worms, if you don't work extremely carefully.

bigboiient

CHanged head

so i changed the head and its still over-spraying but now that i changed the head its now more clearly visable that its not only over-spraying magenta its also yellow and cyan...

Ink Or Static.....

This is driving me crazy....

MikePro

alignment?
you're replacing printheads, so i'm assuming you know how to properly align them?

go through all your procedures, reset your values to zero, and start from scratch.
I've gotten some crazy results when I thought I had to keep repeating the procedures and adding values over and over again until the lines matched-up. Extreme values will make the printer very unhappy. (noted that some of the values are 1.0, and others wind up being only 0.1, know your alignment procedures and values for input... not such a big deal, until you think you should be inputting 30.0 for a 0.3 value )

a true-test of this theory, would be to reset all alignment values to zero, and then print seperate blocks of 100%C, M, Y, K, in uni-directional, and see if the overspray continues.

bigboiient

@MikePro.....

never beed any good at the alignment procedure and all of the supplied reading material is garbage.... can really understand.... it seem like it was written by a 12 year old Japanese kid that speaks english...

any input on where to start what not to do with the alignments and with which alignment procedure to start with....

bigboiient

ok i went trough all the printalign2 options and did the alignments....

this is how the machine is printing....

the over-spray seemed to get better....

still their tough ...

i didnt do any of the fine alignments because i didnt have a loupe....
all i had was a magnifying glass which didnt do any good on the fine tuning.....

do you guys think the fine alignment will do it for me...

got 2 additional if board errors today seems like the board is going bad on me for sure....
or do you guys think it could be the 15ft cable im using.... or it might be 20 ft not too sure...

IMG_00000383.jpg IMG_00000385.jpg IMG_00000388.jpg IMG_00000390.jpg

genericname

Fine alignment is a must. If you have 20/20 vision, or even just a magnifying glass, it shouldn't be a problem. Just trial and error until the overlapped lines look good.

A few things:

1. You said you tested at a higher resolution, but did you try at a lower rez?

2. Uni is a good mode for troubleshooting (ESPECIALLY if you're not doing fine alignment). Don't confuse things by switching between it and bidi.

3. Stick with Var. Your clients will thank you, which is to say, they won't complain that their prints look like garbage.

4. Cable length could be an issue, but shouldn't be a concern if you're using good quality cables, and a good Firewire card. Our printers are both connected to over 40ft each, and haven't given us any data errors.

5. If you're concerned about capacitors, they're the easiest board problem to diagnose. Bulging caps, melted plastic housing, or a resin like depot at the base? That's a dead cap. Probably not your overspray issue though.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you're getting crooked lines, but a straight line doesn't skew over a certain length, you need to do a slant adjust. If you don't like doing fine adjustments, you're going to hate the slant adjust. Get a tech in.

Last edited:

MikePro

my bad for snoozin' on this thread, I sent you the link via PM to the collection of jv3 manuals but I get what you're sayin'.... its hard to understand.

i've gotta dig through my notes to organize if I want to make a post on alignment procedures, as it's been quite a while.
Honestly, however, if you're throwing board errors on top of all these other issues... its worth bringing a tech in to at least diagnose your issues and take it from there.

bigboiient

@genericname

Thanks for you help.....

i did try 360x 360 the overspray only went away or barley visible when fixed dot was set.

i will do the fine tuning just that all i had was a plastic 2x magnifying glass and that was of no help...
will get a better one tomorrow to finish the fine tuning and also re do my slant adjust with the better magnifying glass

yes i will be printing variable....

it could be the old version of wasatch rip im using thats causing errors
I have to get around to taking out that board to take a look for blown caps.
im good at soldering so if the board needs caps replace i will do it...

Fine alignment is a must. If you have 20/20 vision, or even just a magnifying glass, it shouldn't be a problem. Just trial and error until the overlapped lines look good.

A few things:

1. You said you tested at a higher resolution, but did you try at a lower rez?

2. Uni is a good mode for troubleshooting (ESPECIALLY if you're not doing fine alignment). Don't confuse things by switching between it and bidi.

3. Stick with Var. Your clients will thank you, which is to say, they won't complain that their prints look like garbage.

4. Cable length could be an issue, but shouldn't be a concern if you're using good quality cables, and a good Firewire card. Our printers are both connected to over 40ft each, and haven't given us any data errors.

5. If you're concerned about capacitors, they're the easiest board problem to diagnose. Bulging caps, melted plastic housing, or a resin like depot at the base? That's a dead cap. Probably not your overspray issue though.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you're getting crooked lines, but a straight line doesn't skew over a certain length, you need to do a slant adjust. If you don't like doing fine adjustments, you're going to hate the slant adjust. Get a tech in.

bigboiient

my bad for snoozin' on this thread, I sent you the link via PM to the collection of jv3 manuals but I get what you're sayin'.... its hard to understand.

i've gotta dig through my notes to organize if I want to make a post on alignment procedures, as it's been quite a while.
Honestly, however, if you're throwing board errors on top of all these other issues... its worth bringing a tech in to at least diagnose your issues and take it from there.

Mike thanks for that link that definitely as a lot of pdfs that will come in handy and that alignment pdf is exactly what i needed....

will adjust the fine settings on my machine and see it that rids of the problem.....

and hopefully my board is good and its just the rip acting up or that cheap firewire cable i have....