• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with static cling

Sticky Signs

I'm using Rite-media white static cling to print "dash-cards". they're about 3x4" and get mounted to the inside of your car windshield for identification purposes. Here's the problem. Ink residue sticks to the glass when you remove the cling. Not good. especially when you have a few hundred out there. I've tested this on different types of glass as well as plexi with varying results - mostly negative. i've even let the stuff dry for days before applying.

I'm using a Roland XC540 with eco sol max ink and the profile created by my supplier specifically for this material.

Any one have any experience with this? I know there's other options available however I want to use up this roll of material. Any suggestions appreciated.
D

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
can't help with the problem, but if you continue to have the problem, you could sub them out in the future....either to someone with an edge (reverse print on clear with a white backer)...or i know stouse does these types of clings...

sjm

Print on a clear cling, mirror image the print and back it up with a white vinyl.

gabagoo

Print on a clear cling, mirror image the print and back it up with a white vinyl.

not sure if this will work as in the past I found that the vinyl shrunk faster than the static cling creating chaos.

Malkin

Definitely need to rev. print on clear with a white backup.
If you backup with white vinyl and it shrinks, then you could consider using a cast vinyl.
A better method would be a white ink backup (digital or screened) or a foil (Gerber Edge).

dbenec

as a test i reverse cut a logo out of oracal 651, applied it to a contour cut static cling. it's been on the inside of my windshield for 2 years - direct sunlight, no garage. hasn't shrunk at all. i figured it would since it's the adhesive that keeps the calendered in place vs. the stability of cast. it's worth testing yourself. good luck.