• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need resolution advice on wall wrap

phototec

Keep your HIGH QUALITY!

Artbot I have seen your work, and know you do HIGH QUALITY work, and although many here say you can reduce your dpi to 72-75 dpi, I would not do that for this type of project. The lower resolution has it's place on signage and items that are viewed at from a distance, however, this wall mural will be such that people will view it very close, the hallway looks about 6-7 feet wide. I would stay at 100dpi or better, for good close up quality.

Your computer must be having problems (blue screen as you mentioned), I too work with very large PSB file sizes, many from 6-9 gigs (I work in many layers), without any problems. I use a Dell Vostro Quad Core, 4 gigs RAM, running Vista Ultimate 64 bit, Adobe CS5, Photoshop runs best on the core drive with the OS, however the scratch disk should be set to a separate high speed drive, I use a 2 TB 10,000 RPM RAID drive.

artbot

thanks! and thanks for the advice. i do think the 100dpi will be best for how close and constantly the piece will be scrutinized.

as for the raid. is it 2tb because that was just the drives you purchased (i'm assuming they are dedicated/no saving files, etc), or does photoshop need that much space to store scratch for very large files? i had a 30 gig ssd which would fill too quickly. changed that to a 60gig ssd which doesn't fill up (i think it's limited by the history states which i keep around 15).

RobbyMac

Is it flattened? seems a bit large file size.
We routinely run wraps at 12' x 53' for transporters that come in around 1gig .tiff (with no compression). usually 72 or 100 dpi.
might want to flatten it if it isn't already.

artbot

it will be flattened with it's finished. until then, the artwork will be on as many/few layers as needed. it's a 4gigs right now and working fine. it was a corrupted file. my computer really doesn't bog down until i get above 6gigs.

phototec

as for the raid. is it 2tb because that was just the drives you purchased (i'm assuming they are dedicated/no saving files, etc), or does photoshop need that much space to store scratch for very large files?

The 2 TB RAID is actually mirrored 1 TB of space, it's used as both the scratch disk and working file saves, Photoshop is constantly saving the working file with almost every alteration you make to the image. Using the RAID for saves keeps Photoshop from accessing the "C" drive where the applications is running, allowing Photoshop to work faster.

When working on and building a design, I don't want to take a chance of ever again loosing a job due to a drive crash, one time is way to many, so using a RAID (mirror) drive, every time Photoshop saves the working file (for the history files), I have the artwork on two 1 TB drives, if one were to fail, I could recover the file from the other RAID mirror drive.

You mentioned a corrupted file, sometimes Photoshop files get corrupted while Photoshop is trying to make a save on the same drive the application is running or their is not sufficient memory allocation space for the save.

Main thing to remember is Photoshop works better, faster when using a scratch disc that is different drive for the system drive and different from the program drive.

Here is some info from Adobe:

Setting scratch disks
The Photoshop scratch disk is similar to virtual memory. For the best performance, you should set the scratch disk to a defragmented hard disk that has plenty of unused space and fast read/write speeds (rather than a network drive or removable media). Photoshop requires at least 2 GB of free hard-disk space, but more is recommended. If you have more than one hard disk volume, you should specify additional scratch disks. Photoshop CS5 and CS4 support up to 64 Exabytes (EB) of scratch disk space on a total of four volumes. (An EB is equal to 1 billion gigabytes.)
Fast RAID 0 arrays are the best option for scratch disks, especially if the array is used exclusively for your scratch disk, is defragmented regularly, and is not your boot volume, especially if your efficiency goes much below 90%. Photoshop CS4 supports up to 64 Exabytes (EB) of scratch disk space on a total of four volumes. (An EB is equal to 1 billion gigabytes.)

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404439.html#main_Setting_scratch_disks