• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Net Profit Estimate

lacarrye

Hi! I will appreciate any expert advice on this. Few people charge $10/sf, others $ 85/hr, (Vinyl Cutting) and so on. My question is; For a Start up business with a 1 Roland GX-24 has anyone calculated the Net Profits after all costs?? I mean let say If I charge $10/sf.

Ok! Graphic Design = $ 30 ? (Basic Lettering / 1 color)
Materials= $ 0.5
Sales cost= ? (Time to find a close the lead)
Marketing Costs= Let say ($200 / month in brochures, Business Cards)
Transportation (gas)= $70 /month
Operation Costs (Maintenance, depreciation of machine..)= ????
Utilities = $ 150 / month
Administrative costs= ?
Signs Application = $ 50/hr ??
Non -Billable Time (network marketing?)

Big Big Question: When you started, how much NET money you made? Let say after 1 month, 6 months, a year? I'd like to build this topic and do a benchmark for all the users. Just tell a brief of your story, let say, I started in 2005, with this equipment, I worked 12 hs / day and I put in my pocket $$$ after this xxxx time, then I grow this xxxx.

Any advise will be appreciated. John

lacarrye

I'd like to see an estimate. I'm sure that is not easy, may be we can find someone with an real example. But anyways all the posts are valid and I appreciate your participation.

Regards, John

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'd like to see an estimate. I'm sure that is not easy, may be we can find someone with an real example. But anyways all the posts are valid and I appreciate your participation.

Regards, John

John ... Signs 101 has two sides, our open forums and our premium forums. You are currently unable to see the premium side just as any other non subscribing member cannot. This provides a level of privacy that is desirable for the kind of information you're looking for. There is a pricing forum on the premium side where you will find a fair amount of more candid threads and more members willing to share the kind of information you are seeking.

Perhaps you should consider a subscription.

lacarrye

For sure I will subscribe. This forum is great! even the free side, you can find valuable technical information. Thanks!

FatCat

So your business plan consists of;

1. Buy vinyl cutter.

2. Figure out what to do with all the gobs of money that gets hurled at you like a stripper at a bachelor party.

Intriguing, tell us more...

mark in tx

1. Buy vinyl cutter.

2. Figure out what to do with all the gobs of money that gets hurled at you like a stripper at a bachelor party.

I thought that was the car window tinting business plan.

For the sign shop business plan you have to add the following,

3. Drink a six pack of beer at lunch, smoke a joint and tell the customer everything will be ready by Thursday.

4. Don't go to work on Thursday.

5. Get mad at the customer for not knowing you meant "next" Thursday.

J Hill Designs

I thought that was the car window tinting business plan.

For the sign shop business plan you have to add the following,

3. Drink a six pack of beer at lunch, smoke a joint and tell the customer everything will be ready by Thursday.

4. Don't go to work on Thursday.

5. Get mad at the customer for not knowing you meant "next" Thursday.

That's awesome

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I started professionally in this business in 1972 with a few Red Sable flats and RichArt tempera paint along with some quills and some cans of 1-shot. I worked 16 hour days…. 7 days a week. 40 at my regular job and the rest wherever I could pick up work and take home. I started at 6am till 7:30am and was at my regular job from 8 til 5. Stopped off at home to eat and then off to my own work til about midnight. I made piece-rate and then went to $6 an hour at my day gig and about $15 an hour on my own. I pocketed and made more money when I was by myself then now…. that we have employees and lots of equipment.

You want advice ??

• What do you know about this industry ??
  • What is your HONEST level of software knowledge ??
  • What is your level of design and layout ??
  • What products or types of signs can you make ??
  • Do you have a real understanding of the mechanics of signmaking or are you just looking to see what might work for you or not ??

John…. there’s no easy button or gimmick in any business to make great money without understanding it completely and doing an honest days work and getting paid a fair price. If you can exist on what you make, then go to the next level and see if you and an employee can exist on what you turn out and keep that up until you have an army of sign people at your finger tips. Look for a place to house this group and go to town until you’re making so much money….. you can go on a vacation and never worry about the little things. Learn to delegate and you’ll go places.

lacarrye

FatCat, when I read your "About me" I can see that your highest education grade was pre-K. I know that you're the king of the sign industry, for that reason, you should answer a better constructive "answer". YOUR business plan should be 1) finish your High school. 2) stop drinking beer. 3) Answer a productive "ansewer"

UFB Fabrication

First off good look in the sign Biz. I bet if you asked 10 different shops and the gave you a honest answer you would get 10 answers. One thing I know for sure is when I have worked at the country club I did not see a bunch of pick up trucks owned by sign shops. I dont know what the avg is compared to other small business would be but I bet the failure rate is up there pretty high. I think as with most small business expect to work you azz off and be happy to order delivered pizza and a 12 pack at the end of the week. I have been at it since the 70's and would not change a thing or may be to dumb to quit. If ya get the formula thing worked out let the rest of us know or sell the software for it.