• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Networking question #2

signage

Flame do you know what the printers IP address is?
Also did you find the computers IP addresses?
What do you have as an internet connection DSL or Cable?

Cadmn

flamey routers do exactly that route they will normally set IPs for each comp. you might have to use router & switch as routers over 5 ports start to get waaay expensive. but definately hook your printer into the hub/router/switch & then all computers should be able to see the printer right now if the computer that printer plugs into is off noone can use the printer as is has no connection to your network.

Flame

Guys.... I DO NOT want internet on these computers. I have DSL, and I'm running a wireless setup, but had someone help me set it up.

The two computers I want to link.... do NOT, and never will have internet.

All I want to do, is to be able to send files directly beween computer #1 and computer #2.

chopper

Hi, I know that you are stressed out, and may not understand, but some more info may be required, to my understanding you want to network two computers for file sharing, and you are going to print from just the one computer that is connected to the printer now....is this correct?
//chopper

Flame

Alright........ starting over. And hopefully being more clear and specifc.:thumb:

I have one old PC, just bought a newer, faster one. I would like to use the new one to design graphics on, and then the old one as a RIP only station.

So....

I would like to be able to design with the new one (Systemax PC running XP), and then send a file over to the old one (E Machines running XP), so that the old computer can run my printer (RIP and print).

No internet will ever touch either of these computers.

So....

I have one 5 port switch, 2 ethernet Cat 5 cables, and one Cat 5 crossover cable (for my printer). Is this enough to get me networked together?

If not, what do I need to get?

If so, how do I hook them together?

Thanks guys. Sorry for being so stressed.

chopper

you can connect the two machines with usb cable and the printer with a cat 5 (the one you are using ) then set up file sharing on your computers and you are done//chopper

Bogie

Or... Just get the info for all the devices after you plug 'em all into the box.

Campers, I've actually had to call D-Link's tech support. They're pretty good about things. It's a new gizmo, right?

Call them. They'll fix it.

chopper

you need to have both computers in the same work group start-right click on my computer-properties-computer name click on change if they are not in the same work group you will need to change them to the same group, give the work group the same name on both computers, then give them names as you see fit, then right click on start-explore- right click on c drive click on sharing and security click on if you understand blah blah ( it will be under lined) then click on network set up wizard and follow the instructions hope this will help you//chopper

Flame

Wait a minute.... so can I just run a USB cable from one computer, to the next computer, and it works?

I guess it'd make sense....

Is that true though? Can I just ditch the whole switch thing and run one USB cable to connect my two PCs??????

Techman

connect two computers directly by plugging a "crossover" network cable between their ethernet ports. OR using a hub/switch you connect both with "straight-wired" network cables to your ethernet hub, but there is no need to use a hub/switch unless you want to network three or more computers.

Having connected them they communicate so each network adapter needs to have an IP address. How this is done depends on whether or not you are going to use "Internet Connection Sharing" or only run File & Printer sharing over the network.

Without "Internet Connection Sharing"
Go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. In the Properties sheet that opens, select "Use the following IP address" and enter:

1st PC - IP address 192.168.0.1
2nd PC - IP address 192.168.0.2
Both - Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

As there is no internet involvement, the Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses can be left blank.

this is simple..
using USB in monkeyshines..

Flame

Here's a trick though, only one ethernet port, but I have a Mutoh printer that needs plugged in too. So... I have to use that as well.

Bogie

Yeah, that sounds right...

What kinda printer are you using? There may be docs for it that'll tell folks where to start...

Really, the _easy_ way to do it is with the hub/switch dealie...

Bogie

I've got my Falcon JR plugged into a parallel port. Got tired of screwing with the ethernet stuff one day, and never went back to it, even after I got the router stuff fixed. If you've got a parallel port, all you need is the cable...

mondo

Actually yes if both of your PC have network card installed. But you said you have a cat 5 cable use that instead of usb. Then,

-go to My Computer
-my Network Places or Set up a home or small office network then window will pop up
-just click next and select No, let me choose blah blah, and next
-type in whatever you want to call that computer, next
-then turn on file sharing then wait it'll going to ask for a cd. If you have the XP CD or a network CD setup disk insert it. You will need that to setup the other computer you have.

Try that if it doesnt work I have a rope here I can send it to you. LOL just kidding

Your switch will work jsut maybe the configuration on the computer part.

And if you want to print from both of the pc to your printer might as well get a router. But try your switch first. if your printer uses cat 5 cable or cat 6

My set up right now is a couple of PC and a Mac. One is for gaming and the other PC is for editing and other stuff. my mac is for paying bills and online other stuff and i tunes. I have a router, a workgroup switch and I have a printserver for HP 5500ps which i dont use anymore.

Hope this help.

Service Sign Co

:beer Start over in the morning when everyone is sober, Ill check the thread at noon. Everything here is networked, I'm sure you have a simple problem that is easily fixable.

Idea Design

Follow exactly the instructions Tech gives in post 31. Step by step.

That is, and is exactly how, my network is set up. You can set up a static IP port for the Mutoh after you assign it an IP address internally. Just look at the manual, it'll give you simple instructions on how to do that.

Once it's assigned, create a new TCP/IP port with the printers IP address. That'll likely be answered here (signs101) after you get the computers talking.

Then everything should see everything on the network.

Take it easy, follow post 31 to the letter, and it'll work. I promise.