• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Networking question #2

Bogie

Right - Post 31... It will work.

Do you have the SEH gizmo that they sold me with my Falcon? I've got a manual. Somewhere...

Flame

Thanks for the confidence Techman.... lol.

Actually, thanks for that info. Looks like I need a couple more cables, and I'll give it a shot.

javila

Nah you don't need more cables. Assuming your router is one made in the last two years:

Comp 1 => router
Comp 2 => router
Printer => router

More than likely your printer is set with a fixed IP through your Rip. The crossover cable doesn't matter since the router will auto switch it (again assuming it's a recent router). But put it on of the computers to routers.

Everything should be set up on DHCP so you don't have to assing IPs to your computers. Make sure they're in the same workgroup, and you should be done.

Pro Image

Justin you've got all you need..........

From the 5 port run 3 cables from each of your 2 computer and your printer into the switch...........

Follow Techman's post at the top and your ready to go.............

Now for your internet you need to run you modem(cable or DSL) into the internet port on the switch and you can have it on both your computers..............

chopper

I dont mean to cause a stir but the USB from computer to computer works, and the only reason I mentioned it was Flammy was having a real hard time(at least it seemed) I hesitated on replying but that was my fault for replying and trying to help, and techman no it isnt just monkey shines it works and works well and he wouldnt need to buy any thing to make the network no switch, no cables no bullshit, I have installed computer networks from design to installation since 1990 when I was doing networking for the University of Minnesota, I have installed designed and repaired networks in all the buildings on campus (which is well over 440) not to mention the off prem locations, from the placement buffing and testing of the fiber optic cables, to installing and programming the routers and switches, installing cabling, locating cables, replacing phone switches and maintenance on the above,(I also installed one of the first DSL networks used in the country at the U of M) so you see I have a background in what I am talking about, would the switch be better? maybe, is it needed ? no

if USB didnt work why dose your external hard drive use USB not ethernet? humm...
sorry Flammy for trying to help//chopper

chopper

Flammy I must eat crow here I was trying to set up a network here to mimic what you wanted to do, and the ends are not correct to do so..it would require one type of end on one computer and the other end on the 2nd computer I was looking at my external hard drive and it had both on them and that is where I went wrong sorry I am checking into it but looks like the router is the way to go I do not know what is involved with setting up your printer on a router I apologize again //chopper

chopper

here is a link for you check out I guess I dont need to eat crow you can get these for about 16 bucks depending on how long you need them also check out the speed on the usb 2 and if you read the article it gives you step by step set up you can also google USB bridge cable //chopper www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/248

iSign

eating crow sucks... but even if it's only for a half hour... gotta give a man credit who's willing to eat a little crow now and then... I know I've had to... and If aced it too... but like I said, eating crow sucks!

iSign

Attachments

• grilledbird.jpg
    grilledbird.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 101

Techman

The use of a special cable is why I said What I did. Because use of a special USB was not mentioned.
Standard USB will not work. It is monkeyshines. Yes?

Chopper.. don't worry about eating crow. It teaches us to look a little further each time so we don't have to gag on a second helping.

Flame

Alright, finally have a chance to work on this again.

Techman, I followed your instructions to a "T", but here's my problem now.

In the TCP/IP section, there is no place to put in a second PC's IP address. It just shows the option for ONE IP address?

What did I do wrong?