• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Never come across this before....................

Jester

Slow is Fast
If the individual ADA braille contractions aren't really letters, but are instead shortcuts for objects, thoughts or concepts, then wouldn't they be independent of the reader's native language?
For example, a symbol for "male" would be interpreted as man by an english speaker and hombre by a spanish speaker; one for "sanitary facilities" would be variously bathroom or baño.

netsol

the ADA was a gift from ted kennedy. in this case i will admit that he truly meant well
.he was not, however, known for thinking through the "nuts& bolts" of the things he mandated. (or the tremendous costs)

in our old location, a neighbor was required, under ADA to put in a $27,000 ADA (wheelchair accessable) bathroom, this took away a substantialamount of floor space from the functional layout of the building.

this is why we will often see braille sigs in the damnedest places, where a blind person would have a hell of a time gettng to