• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new crate style

artbot

for those of you that have to crate occasionally. it's a drag. and it usually looks like an industrial orwellian widget is inside.

i took to figuring out a super quick, light, strong crating system over the last several shipments and i think this is maybe a beta of the final design.

it consists of:

-hard bottom (3/4" pine board with 1/8" grooves @1/2" all the way around) ...could also be plywood, grooved to save last layer of wood.

-luan sides that glue into the grooves

-a similar hard lid (as bottom) with grooves that screws down onto the luan sides for easy removal.

-small notched out fingers to secure the sides. one could do this the length of the corner. but this crate is only 28lb and just needs a secure corner. urethane wood glue is a must for this connection. i
stapled mine on until the glue expanded/cured.

in shipment the corners take a lot of abuse. drywall screws split the strength of the wood and get all frayed up. also, keeping a "perimeter" around the piece means that the base and bottom, and fingers
at the corners protect the sides from being compressed over the long drive to the shipment. the edge surrounding also allows for the shipping to have "something to grab" when picking up the crate.

Attachments

• new crate system.jpg
    new crate system.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 51

Typestries

Thats a slick crate setup. Love the tension fabric structure. Great for the warmer climes! That would be tough in a northeast winter

artbot

it's a 35 x 40 weatherport (wind load 120 mph!)

http://www.weatherport.com/fabric_model/heavy-gable-building/

got it used on ebay for $1000! they cost about $8k new. crazy heavy duty. the flooring is interlocked OSB (2 layers of 5/8" got it used from a pallette company, on top of flattened top soil). the floor hasn't given me a peep. i was warned that it would be eaten by termites, ant would take over and it would rot form beneath. but years later it's flat dry wood.

i'm planning on putting up a 40x40 building but will miss the translucent ceiling. it's really beautiful to work in.