• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Generation Epsons

HulkSmash

We have a bunch of HP latex machines, and looking to add an Epson S80600 for more gamut.

Anyone have experience with these machines?

CanuckSigns

We've had an s80600 for 11 months now, what do you want to know, the machine is amazing, only complaint is the ink smell is quite strong, it's been a complete workhorse for us.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
We have a bunch of HP latex machines, and looking to add an Epson S80600 for more gamut.

Anyone have experience with these machines?

They are really nice machines and great color output. The dry times are very minimal also. I too have heard about issues with the smell of the inks.

HulkSmash

We've had an s80600 for 11 months now, what do you want to know, the machine is amazing, only complaint is the ink smell is quite strong, it's been a complete workhorse for us.

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if you actually ever find yourself using the red/greys/silver.. or if its just better to get the dual CMYK, and still accomplish better colors than the HPs
thanks

CanuckSigns

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if you actually ever find yourself using the red/greys/silver.. or if its just better to get the dual CMYK, and still accomplish better colors than the HPs
thanks
We don;t use the white or silver, but we find the orange/red and light black ink help the gamut a ton, we have only ever run Roland machines before and the quality on the epson running 6 pass blows the roland running 18 pass out of the water.

I have some photos showing how bright the orange ink is and how vibrant the colours are, but I would need to email them to you as the mural hasn't been unveiled to the public so I don't want to post them.

CanuckSigns

Actually I found this picture from the mural while it was printing showing the orange, the pic doesn;t do it justice, the orange is almost neon in person

Attachments

• 20180809_123558.jpg
    20180809_123558.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 466

Bly

We got a 60600 and it's great.
Much faster than the Hp latex & better colours.
Colour repeatability is good, also consistent lengths.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
thanks
Since you mentioned you have a bunch of HPs, why not get at least one each of the Epsons? You should know if you have customer demand for the extra color inks.

CanuckSigns

My understanding is that the 60600 is the dual CMYK model and is blazing fast with really good colour and quality, the s80600 is slower but the red and orange inks make the gamut really jump, it claims you can hit over 98% of the Pantone book and I believe it

unclebun

We have an S70670, which we got when they were first introduced. It's good enough that when it wears out or starts having problems I am likely to continue with Epson. I used Mimakis before (and Summa and Roland before that). Unless the new inks are a lot different from what I am using, I don't understand the complaints about the ink smell. There is virtually none. If you want ink smell, try one of the old full solvent printers!

ProColorGraphics

We have an S70670, which we got when they were first introduced. It's good enough that when it wears out or starts having problems I am likely to continue with Epson. I used Mimakis before (and Summa and Roland before that). Unless the new inks are a lot different from what I am using, I don't understand the complaints about the ink smell. There is virtually none. If you want ink smell, try one of the old full solvent printers!

I have an S70 and an S80. They are definitely different smells, although I don't think they smell that bad.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Everything everyone has said so far is true. We've had our S80600 for 12 months this week.
Cannot fault the machine at all. Self maintains very well (only a manual clean around once a month).
Gamut is out of this world. Able to hit Pantone 021C was a requirement for a couple of our clients, and this can do it in 6 pass mode all day long.
We never print over 8 pass as there is just no discernible difference. I'd say we're split 50/50 with 6 and 8 pass jobs.
My only vague "complaint" is that it prints too quickly (!) depending on the design/coverage, and a small bit of ink can get stuck to the backing paper when rolling up onto the take up unit. We've got a small floor fan in front for those jobs, but it's not often needed. It only happens at 6 passes or less.
There is an optional dryer unit available which we'll think about in the future.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Get the 606000. Dual CMYK heads that'll print incredibly fast. Great color gamut, smooth solids and repeatable colors.
We print a LOT of vinyl and have yet to need or use the silver ink after 3+ years of owning the 70675 printer and rarely use the white ink.
A word of advice to all those out there recommending they get the 80600 or those of you using the 70670/70675 with orange and other specialty inks - Epson DOES NOT WARRANTY any inks from color fading and the non-CMYK inks fade within a year or so outdoors.

jon vital

Yeah that is the one we looked at, someone has an ex demo 40600 available for a cheap price though so just wondered how much quicker it would be than our JV33..

jfiscus

Rap Master
Epson ink fading? I have heard a lot of that. Any real world experience out there.
Yes, we had a horrible experience with it and Epson. We changed our RIP profiles to not use the orange ink after that and have not had any problems since. Still decided to continue using their printers, but went with the MCS inks on the newer 60600 printer to guarantee the ink/prints.

Yeah that is the one we looked at, someone has an ex demo 40600 available for a cheap price though so just wondered how much quicker it would be than our JV33..
I have the 60600 so I know it is around 2-3x as fast as a JV33, but the 40600 would only be around 50% faster I would think depending on your profile/passes.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We have different profiles depending on where the job is installed.
Indoors? Use the full set. Outdoors? No orange or red in those profiles.
No issues so far.