• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New guy...Hi I'am Sober from central c.a

SOBER

hello everyone my name is Ruben, but my friends call me sober
and i'am 29 years old married with 2 great kids.Well i got into
screenprinting in 2004 , trying to start a clothing line with some
buddies which then turned into a passion and addiction i could
not ignore. i spend countless hours reading, expeirmenting new
and old techniques,after about a year i landed a job with a sign
shop that did screenprinting , and there i watched in amazement
the creations of many signs.....and was hooked
It was there i read my first copy of signcraft and it has really
changed my path in life.i would see all the great signs being
made and me being a graffiti artist fell for signmaking.
The shop i worked at made very simple real estate and contruction
signs it was easy and repetively boring, but it was there i seen a
vinyl cutter for the first time and it looked fairly easy to operate
as long as i could learn the software!!
So i quit and bought me a cutter to add to my arsenal i had set- up
in my homeshop.and i've been on a roll since i also bought me a scroll
saw and a scrolling jigsaw so i can start to learn how to make dimens-
ional signs. I want to get into sandblasting signs also!!
I'am fairly busy with the screenprinting , so i dont have work a fulltime
job, thus have time to learn the sign game.......so thats about it
thank%20you.gif

Bulldog1929

:Welcome: Sober. from SE Ohio. Sounds like you're doing pretty good there with your passion. My odds tell me that you're to become very, very successful.
Mike

cOrKinSA

Welcome from South Texas!!!
So Ruben, why did you leave the sign shop?
You aren't the type of person that learns a little here and there and then runs off to try and conquer are you?

fastcut

Welcome from South Texas!!!
So Ruben, why did you leave the sign shop?
You aren't the type of person that learns a little here and there and then runs off to try and conquer are you?
Isn't that what we're bred to do? I mean only someone with real passion can actually accomplish it, the rest just stay in their dead end jobs. Right?

HI SOBER, FastCut from the pit of Central California!

cOrKinSA

Well there isn't a course for learning this, but I am set in my own ways of learning all there is from an apprentice or a mentor.
There are also people that think all you need is a room, a $300 cutter, and a bootleg of flexi to call themselves a Sign/Graphics expert.
I know he said he learned the screen printing business for about a year before he started to work with someone, so all I am asking is how long he worked with them before he went on his own.

SOBER

learn and leave

Well actually i was at the job for a year before i quit, and the reason i quit was the job is an hour away from my house and i was spending 20-25
dollars a day to get there, plus the 2 hours a day driving. plus the fact i was making $7.50 an hour did'nt help!! but i wont lie to you and say i didnt know what i was getting into before i applied for the job.
I applied to job specificly to learn and thats the truth!! So after a year
of learning and "BEING BROKE".....I decided i learned how to do everything we did in the shop and i was no longer learning new things, dont get me wrong i said "i learned how to" i didnt say i mastered.Now its time for trial and error.
Besides i could make at home in one week or sometimes in a day what the signshop paid me for 2 weeks of work. and i could use the spare time to learn signage.
Just to let you know i'am still great friends with the shop owner and still
do all his printing.he just lets it build up all week and i handle it on the weekends or weekdays.So we both win!! he dont have to hire a new guy
and no workmans comp or benifits or payroll paperwork!!And all the work gets done!!
But to answer your question it's like yes .....becuase i do have dreams
of running my own successful signshop and that wont happen if i go to work at a signshop learn everything and stay there for the rest of my life
becuase i dont want someone like CORKINSA to think i just came to steal your knowledge and conquer the signworld........So instead i should stay there
and be loyal to my boss that rakes in 4 to $6,000 a day and watch him live out my dream!!! and be happy with 75 dollars a day he gives me...
ya' right.........

cOrKinSA

Well actually i was at the job for a year before i quit, and the reason i quit was the job is an hour away from my house and...
Hey I know where you a coming from now. I came from the same environment in which you explained but my boss was a little different.
I worked many a long years learning all while my boss was buying Land, boats, motorcycles, houses, etc... and I was making change with no raise down the horizon. Heck a person in my boss's shop would get fired eventually if they developed the courage to ask him.
After I came back from Iraq and started a family I knew I had to do something and fast. I say welcome to Signs101 and feel free to pick our brains when you need to.
:beerCheers!!!

SOBER

thanx........yeah that sounds like my old boss!!
he went on vacation or special events monthly
but i guess when you can do it ...do it'
but yes i appreciate the welcome and i hope to
learn alot from all you guy's and if any one here
ever needs a "real graffiti" type font or art let me
know, i've been doing graffiti art for 17 year's.
l'll be more than happy to help you!!:thumb:

jason77

Welcome to a great site...
Iam new here also and ill tell ya it has more info here than u can shake a stick at...lol
So welcome from tennessee... enjoy your stay...:thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA....................

:thread Don't worry about what the 'Bossman' is making or doing with his/her money..... First of all, it's none of your business and second of all, they are in business to make money and live their dream. However they see fit to run their business is their business. Should you care to learn from them.... you are most likely learning a lot from someone that is either sharing themselves, having another employee show you the ropes or just allowing you to be there and pick up on your own. I would presume they shared quite a bit if you were capable of learning it all in a year.

Good Luck.............. and remember, pay your employees super well, give them anything they want as you expressed because you don't want to lose a learning employee on his way up the ladder earning his/her dues.