• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Job Title & Duties

cartoad

After returning from a sales call a few weeks ago and finding the graphic artist on the floor recovering from a nap, we no longer have a graphic artist again. Over the years with a limited gene pool to draw from for this position(GA) I am at my wits end. Luckily between my wife and myself we can design whatever we need to do.

So rather than attempt to hire another GA, I plan to hire someone to help with marketing, production, front counter sales and lastly to learn to design. I am going to write a detailed position description for this and wondering if anyone else is/has this position in their organization. And if so if they would be willing to share the position description, and how it has worked or is working out for them.

We have hired for production, but most seem to be focused on just that, salesmen-what more do I need to say. We have tried to have the GA perform other duties, but have limited success hence the change in direction.

What to call this person, Customer Service Rep? Production sales designer?
Any and all responses are welcome, thanks for your time and suggestions.

Craig Sjoquist

trainee...
surprised ya can not find a reliable GA here in Orlando there is so many they are a dime a dozen.... of course the other problem do they really know how to design

I see the ads all the time looking for work or looking for workers with a list of qualifications and ya get 100s of applications

ndemond

In our office she is the Production Coordinator. Sales, marketing, order materials and keeping the guys informed of dead lines and daily work orders. Her other duties include, proposals & simple quotes. She has been with us for 8 years and can pretty much handle anything thrown at her. A life saver. She does not do the design work. (thats me).

Maybe sub out the design work for a while, lots of great designers here looking for freelance work.

Nancy

Bigdawg

Just Me
I do all of that - we are a small shop (3 people and a couple "as needed") Officially I am the Design and Production Manager (or at least that's what my BCs say)... in reality I do whatever needs to be done including customer meetings, quotes, production and I do ALL of the graphic design.

I do see a time (and it is very close) that there will be no way to design and do the rest of it too... just keep that in mind.

imagep

We have always had problems with employees. A few years ago, after being swamped with applications from total loosers, I printed up a stack of info sheets about our employee expectations, one for our "up front" jobs, the other for production jobs. When people would come in, I would hand them an application and one of these sheets and ask them to return the application after fully reading our expectation sheet. It seems a little harsh, but it is what I expect of our employees, and I want them to know up front that our work is serious and fairly difficult. I also wanted to weed out the people with physical issues. Our shop is just way to small to have people with limitations. There is nothing more frustrating than to have an employee call me at 7 in the morning needing a ride to work because they don't have access to a car (or lost their licence or whatever), or everytime a customer comes in to pick up a heavy order, for my csr to have to page me to come put it in the customers car (because the csr has back issues).

It reduced the number of completed applications by at least 90% and weeded out many of the loosers.

Office/Art Manager Trainee:

This not a job - it is a career position training to be a highly skilled graphic arts management professional.

This position involves becoming highly proficient with operations of a wide variety of graphic production equipment/skills/techniques, troubleshooting, equipment maintenance, and eventually training/managing an office/art team.

Qualifications:
We would prefer someone with recent full time experience in art or customer service in an offset printing shop, a screen printing shop, or a sign shop. However, we would consider training that perfect person. Full training will take a minimum of six months and up to two years.

People who are successful at this type of work have these traits:
• tend to be do-it-yourselfers at home
• have a high level of computer skills
• are artistic
• are multi-taskers
• can work with the public in a professional manner
• are organized and neat
• enjoy problem solving
• are well grounded and down to earth
• are attentive to detail and rarely make careless errors
• are physically coordinated and have good use and control of all limbs and fingers
• have a history of excellent attendance at work and school
• get excited about learning new skills
• are motivated and have the ability to motivate others
• have a high energy level
• accept constructive criticism well
• enjoy doing a large variety of tasks
• work well under pressure
• have good social skills
• develops and implements original ideas

People with these traits tend to NOT be successful in this position:
• Heavy drinkers or drug users (prescription or nonprescription)
• Color blindness or poor vision
• An unstable home life
• If you have any physical, mental, or emotional disabilities or challenges (ie ADD, ADHD, etc.)

Other thing you need to know about this position:
• drivers license is required
• daily access to a vehicle for use travel to work and from work is required
• This is a drug free workplace - we reserve the right to drug test
• We will check references and conduct a criminal background check
• We have a strict attendance policy
• Your work will be evaluated and measured for both quality and quantity
• You are required and expected to clean and maintain the facility
• Training will take a minimum of six months and up to two years
• Employee is considered on probationary status for first six months
• Cell phones are not permitted
• Dress is casual/professional
• May require daily lifting up to 60 lb.
• requires occasional squating, stooping, bending, stretching and reaching
• This position requires the ability to concentrate intensely for long periods of time
• This position requires the ability to learn a very large number of different skills
• This position requires organizational skills
• This position requires a positive "can do" attitude
• This position requires the ability to work as a team player and eventually manage a team
• This is an active "hands on" position
• This is a fast paced environment that requires meeting deadlines and maintaining high service quality.
• We strive to ensure a safe and comfortable climate controlled working environment

You will need to be skilled with:
Standard office procedures and equipment
Telephone etiquette
Corel Draw/Illustrator/Photoshop/Pagemaker/Quark/Word
Mac and Windows operating systems
Graphic arts standards
Spelling and grammar
One on one customer service

Job duties will include, but not be limited to:
• Quoting jobs to customers
• Negotiating with customers and venders
• Preparing artwork to customer and company standards
• Filing and organizing
• Other tasks that need to be performed, including equipment and facilities maintenance, shipping and receiving related duties, material ordering, etc.

Compensation
• Salary Range: $12-$14/hr for trainee, $15-$18/hr once fully trained
• 5 major paid holidays offered after six months, 1 week paid vacation after one year
• No health insurance is offered but you may purchase a health insurance policy that fits your individual needs

Work Schedule
• Working hours are 8:30 am - 5:30 pm M-F with one hour for lunch "off the clock".
• Occasional overtime may be permitted or required.
• Perfect or near perfect attendance is required. Please schedule your doctor visits and personal errands before or after working hours.

WE ARE LOOKING FOR A SUPERSTAR!!!
IF YOU DONT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A SUPERSTAR - PLEASE DONT APPLY

i think it is important in small business to let any prospective employee know that it is necessary for everyone to wear many if not every 'hat'.

i have had repeated problems with 'educated' graphic artists, thinking that they will only be designing and do not need to leave their design station or do anything other than design...when i had multiple employees.

everyone including front counter help may have to lend a hand to hold the other end of a large graphic for installation (even though your title is not production/installation/whatever) when needed...just an example.

i expected everyone to be capable of answering the phones politely and professionally, the rule was if it rings more than 2 times you better be making an attempt to answer it even though that is not your primary duty.

everyone (including myself) was on a rotating schedule to clean one of the bathrooms...we set up a calendar and identified what restroom, what day and who was to do it and it rotated through everyone...until we grew to a level where we could afford and justify the luxury of a janitorial crew.

i believe it is important to put all of these cards on the table when interviewing a potential new 'team member'. that their job is not going to be limited to their job title simply because of the realities of small business..everyone must be willing to help each other and help out beyond the description of their primary position.

i have yet to have a prospective employee ever express displeasure with these expectaction during the interview process but after a month or two i have heard more than one designer say 'that's not my job' or something to that effect (most of the time they didnt have the audacity to say it to me directly but to other employees)..because of this i feel it is important to put this expectation into writing and their agreement and acknowledgement of said matter so that when (not if) it arises it is not a 'surprise' to them...but at that point in my opinion most of the time it is time to be on the hunt for a new employee. when they exhibit that attitude things are only going to get worse in my experience and the 'honeymoon' period with that employee is over and they are going to show their true colors.

it is very hard to find team players that are really willing to participate in the successful operation of a business and not simply 'show up'...when you find these people that really get it make certain you let them know how much you appreciate them (this does not necessarily mean more money, but that is usually appreciated) but a thank you goes a long way and everyone likes to know they are appreciated and recognized.

cartoad

Wow! Thank you all for your time and great replies. I am going to get this written up what I intend to use and will post it here for review. We always tell potential employees during the interview process that they will wear all the hats, but have never had them sign list of duties during the job offer. Having them sign a job description like this should bring it home that we will hold them accountable.
Hal

CheapVehicleWrap

Some GREAT posts. Employees suck in general and EXTREMELY hard to find what/who you want/need. You should always have a couch/pull out bed thought so they needn't sleep on the floor though IMO. When they're in a deep sleep it's always fun to close the couch while they're in it.

Circleville Signs

I think that everyone has a differing way of doing things. I've spoken about how I hire and manage here before, but I think it was in the premium section - so I'll put it out here as well.

Imagep's list is a great place to start if that is your management style. It also accomplishes the intended purpose of weeding out the morons.

That being said, I'd be miserable if I tried to work in that type of an environment, so I don't make that kind of an environment for my employees. I'm HUGE on quality of life over amount of compensation.

I could make more money if I wanted to. All I would have to do is be a slave to my shop. Work 70-80 hrs/week. Knock on every door in my town and all the neighboring ones. Sweat and worry every day. And if I did all that, how would I possibly enjoy all the rewards of it? I wouldn't. So, I don't. I've worked in those shops and it's rough. Ran sales for a company. First year I was there I TRIPLED their revenue. My reward? Shafted on bonus and expected to DO IT AGAIN.

Nah...I'll pass.

So, my goal is to make a living for myself, my partner, and my employees, while providing a quality of life that they can't find anywhere else. How do I do that? In alot of little ways.

1. We have a 35 hour work week - M-F, 10-5. There are certain weeks of the year where we are all going to put in 100 hours. We know that in advance. But they are super rare.

2. Each person has a job to do. They know what that job is on a weekly basis, and then things that come in daily are divied up - So, what that boild down to is simple. I DO NOT CARE how long it take you to get your job done, as long as it is done up to the standards I expect. You have 35 hours of production scheduled this week and you get it done in 25, and take 1/2 day thursday and all day friday off? I truly, deep down, do not care.

3. Everyone STARTS with 2 weeks of paid vacation. After 1 year it goes to 3. After 3 years it goes to 4, and I have it scheduled that after 5 years it goes to 6.

Do I or my employees make $100k/year? Nope. Don't care to. I've done it. Wasn't happy.

I'm looking for people who are confident in their abilities and who do not need my constant hand holding to do their job. These same people need to value quality of life over quantity of cash.

These type of people DO exist. You have to look for them though.

Everyone I hire knows that I DO have one strict policy. You are expected to get your work done. If it takes you 50 hours in a week to do it, then you better get it done. That is all that I ask for and I think that my employer/employee value proposition works well.

Gary

cartoad

Here is what I came up with based on all your great help here. Thank you all for your input, should be fun to see if we get any responses!

Production/Art/Customer Service Coordinator

Position description:

This is a career position with training that leads to becoming a highly skilled graphic arts professional.

Training involves becoming highly proficient with operations of a wide variety of graphic production equipment/skills/techniques, troubleshooting, equipment maintenance, and eventually training/managing an production/art team.
Job duties will include, but not be limited to:
• Quoting jobs to customers/customer service duties
• Assembly of signs of all types
• Learning design/graphic editing skills
• Preparing artwork to customer and company standards
• Other tasks that need to be performed, including equipment and facilities maintenance, shipping and receiving related duties, material ordering, etc

You will need to become proficient and sharpen your skills with:
Standard office procedures and equipment
Telephone etiquette
Corel Draw/Illustrator/Photoshop/Flexi
Windows operating systems
Graphic arts standards
Spelling and grammar
One on one customer service

Full training will take a minimum of six months and up to four years.
Prior to being hired the individual offered the position must complete short home study course and demonstrate that they have completed it.

People who are successful at this type of work have these traits:
• tend to be do-it-yourselfers at home
• have a high level of computer skills
• are artistic
• are multi-taskers
• can work with the public in a professional manner
• are organized and neat
• enjoy problem solving
• are well grounded and down to earth
• are attentive to detail and rarely make careless errors
• are physically coordinated and have good use and control of all limbs and fingers
• have a history of excellent attendance at work and school
• get excited about learning new skills
• are motivated and have the ability to motivate others
• have a high energy level
• accept constructive criticism well
• enjoy doing a large variety of tasks
• work well under pressure
• have good social skills
• develops and implements original ideas

Other things you need to know about this position:
• Drivers license with good driving record is required.
• Occasional work at remote locations for extended periods without sanitary facilities. ``
• This is a drug free workplace - we reserve the right to drug test
• We will check references and conduct a criminal background check
• We have a strict attendance policy
• Your work will be evaluated and measured for both quality and quantity
• You are required and expected to clean and maintain the facility
• Training will take a minimum of six months and up to four years
• Employment is considered "at will"
• Cell phones and personal radios are not permitted
• Dress is casual/professional
• May require daily lifting up to 80 lb.
• Requires squatting, stooping, bending, stretching and reaching
• This position requires the ability to concentrate intensely for long periods of time
• This position requires the ability to learn a very large number of different skills
• This position requires organizational and excellent spelling skills
• This position requires a positive "can do" attitude
• This position requires the ability to work as a team player and eventually manage a team
• This is an active "hands on" position
• This is a fast paced environment that requires meeting deadlines and maintaining high service quality.
• We strive to ensure a safe working environment

Compensation
• Salary Range: $10 + DOQ /hr for trainee,
• 6 major paid holidays offered after 90 days

Work Schedule
• Working hours are 8:30 am - 5:00 pm M-F with 30 minutes for lunch "off the clock".
• Occasional overtime may required.
• Perfect or near perfect attendance is required.

To apply send your cover letter, with resume and salary history to
XXXXXXXXXXXX.com
applications without cover letter including salary history, and resume will not be considered.

WE ARE LOOKING FOR A SUPERSTAR!!!
IF YOU DONT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A SUPERSTAR - PLEASE DONT APPLY

Deaton Design

Please dont take offense to this, but 10 bucks an hour for all you listed. Is this the norm?
Seems like with all those qualifications, they pay rate should be higher.

agreed in my opinion if you are hunting for a superstar you need to be prepared to compensate said superstar or they will be on the hunt for other employment...and superstars can find it.

if you post that listing one of my questions to anyone i interviewed would be related to something within the listing...there is a lot of information there and unfortunately it is my opinion that many ppl will glance over it and few will really process it (especially at the payscale you are looking in, if you were hiring a 100K a year executive i would expect them to study the job posting but at this level of employment i would be surprised.) this would be a very good test in my opinion, if someone read it and retained some of the details it will be more than most of the applicants you get (in my experience).

good luck finding those ppl that are really looking to do more than show up is a task. when you find them let them know how much you value them and reward them appropriately. it costs a lot of money to replace key employees.

Farmboy

I know I hit the jackpot with the 2 people I have. They have been with me for 6 years. Out of all that time they have called in sick maybe 6 times. They are there everyday and stay late if need be. One guy handles the sign end and he's good and quick at what he does. He also handles 75% of the graphic work. All of us can do anything in the shop. I feel good about them helping a customer if I'm on the phone or printing shirts. They are also good friends. Some of you prob think thats a bad idea...good for you. I wouldn't have it any other way. I have never had a boss attutude, even when I was in the service and in charge of a squad of men. I have had the good luck of always being surrounded by GOOD people. You get back what you give out.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If your going to offer 10 bucks an hour for all that, in your location, you better offer them unpaid nap time, since they will have to work another job at night to make a living.

Most of the list, and the above list is a joke, all you need is someone that is "broken in", has a brain stem, drive and common sense. You want to take drive out of someone fast, have it take 4 years to reach career nirvana as a front desk person at a sign shop with that list you describe. Then when they find out you can't offer "a career position with training that leads to becoming a highly skilled graphic arts professional" then hopefully you have a back-up person, or is that code for, "we will start you and you will have to go somewhere else to becoming a highly skilled graphic arts professional"

10 bucks is for a floor sweeper/weeder/simple vinyl installer and kid who washes the shop truck and takes out the trash.

cartoad

Thanks for the responses, we are looking for someone to train, in all areas. 10-12 per hour seems to be the norm here for entry level GA's, we have always paid more and will for the right person. Top end here seems to be 15-16 hr. I will remove the starting pay, and leave it at DOQ. As a small shop we need someone who can do everything. In the past when we hired someone as a GA they felt that that is all they should do, so we are trying to have it up front that the position is a multi-tasking.