• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New monitor, Any Recommendations?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
That's such a broad question.

Size? 24" 26" 32" ?
Aspect ratio? 16:9, ultra wide, etc.
Budget???
Resolution? (1080p, 1440p, 4k,...)
Colour accuracy? (100% sRGB? 100% Adobe RGB ?)

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The next time I buy a monitor for a desktop PC I'm going to get one with a high refresh rate, like 120Hz or better. I have a new Alienware notebook with a 17" UHD 120Hz panel; the high refresh rate is really nice for applications like Adobe Illustrator. Animated zoom and hand-panning across the view of the artwork goes far smoother than a typical 60hz panel. I've become pretty spoiled to it. Some monitors, ones that are specifically meant for gaming may not be the best for color accuracy however. Color accuracy should be a bigger priority than refresh rate. There are monitors that deliver on both, but they're not cheap.

rjssigns

Spend the coin and get a good IPS panel. If you want to know how good look at an iMac with a 5K display then judge your purchase against that.

If you're like me you spend a lot of time in front of a screen. This isn't the time to skimp. Your eyes will thank you.

I walk in both the PC and Mac worlds so not a stranger to displays.

My PC RIP server has a Dell IPS display. Not a top drawer unit, but does the job nicely.
When I upgrade that rig I'm going to get a much better monitor too.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Depends whether you are running in a colour managed environment (or plan to be). I've been a long time user of Eizo coloredge screens. About as good as you can get without going into silly money. Allows me to see with reasonable certainty what print output will look like, but even these fall down on certain colours, such as deep cyan.
A step down, but still good would be the Benq Photovue range or the Asus Art Pro.

rjssigns

Depends whether you are running in a colour managed environment (or plan to be). I've been a long time user of Eizo coloredge screens. About as good as you can get without going into silly money. Allows me to see with reasonable certainty what print output will look like, but even these fall down on certain colours, such as deep cyan.
A step down, but still good would be the Benq Photovue range or the Asus Art Pro.
Eizo. Baller right there. Not gonna lie they're a nice bit of kit.

karst41

SamSung 27" Curved Screen. I like it better than all of the Apple Displays.
I have Used it with my MACs for the Etension Monitor and leaving palets on the main.

I love it on the HP Elite SFF running Flexi Pro.
I guess I could get a color munkie but why? 'ish rolls off printer is going outside
for the color matching final anyway.

Ive been o computers for 40 years now. By far and large my favorite.
Bought it 3 years ago for $257 New in Box at Walmart or MicroCenter

victor bogdanov

I've been using a 32" Samsung 2560 x 1440 since 2014. Recently looked at newer 4k models and decided to stick with the 2560 x 1440 as 4k makes text way too small. Monitors smaller than 32" look so small no idea how people can use smaller monitors

IsItFasst

I have dual 28" Samsung 4K monitors and love it. So much screen space. No problem reading text at all....but when I remote in on my 4K laptop (with second monitor) that is a little tough to read. I make it work though as it's better than scrolling all over the the place using non-4K laptop/monitor when remoting in.

JamesLam

Wow, this is great.

We're not a colour focused enterprise, important of course but not so critical for the market that we sell to.

Size is certainly an issue these days, who doesn't have a 19" monitor or two (and a few old iMacs and PCs) sitting on a shelf somewhere at their shop? I am thinking that my solution is the benefit of dual monitors.

Never thought of refresh rate, I suppose I've been used to specs somewhat keeping up with currwnt trends. But a good refeence to consider.

Thanks gang for the insights, perspectives and suggestions.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I had dual monitors for a while but the "seam" right in the center was annoying plus I was always short on screen space. I moved to three 27" monitors but would still be short on screen space (I often have detailed floor/site plans, email(s), art, and a quote all open at once for one specific task (ie: compiling a quote). I finally got an Asus ROG 49" curved monitor and two 27" monitors and it's perfect.

Not sure what your exact needs are, but the abundance of screen space is a life saver.

IMG_20211125_170229332.jpg

Last edited:

Christian @ 2CT Media

I had dual monitors for a while but the "seam" right in the center was annoying plus I was always short on screen space. I moved to three 27" monitors but would still be short on screen space (I often have detailed floor/site plans, email(s), art, and a quote all open at once for one specific task (ie: compiling a quote). I finally got an Asus ROG 49" curved monitor and two 27" monitors and it's perfect.

Not sure what your exact needs are, but the abundance of screen space is a life saver.

View attachment 156676
This industry has really driven you to drink!

visual800

Just get a viewsonic, no sense in spending hundreds of bucks for the overpriced top of the line stuff, always had the best luck with them