• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New monitor!!!

ucmj22

Aaaaaand its broken.... So I bite on this smoking deal for a 23.6" LED widescreen with HDMI for $139 made by some new company called V7, very lacking in reviews.

I get the monitor, and hook it up and I notice it has 3 dead pixels. I figure I'll let the manufacturer try and handle it so I send them an email about the issue, and they email me back the next day asking for more info. I send it and the next day they call me and want me to describe the issue for the ticket and I tell them that there is 2 dead pixels in the upper left and one lower center. a couple of hours later I receive and email with an RMA number and instructions on returning the monitor.
Then I realize that they want me to pay for return shipping. this is when it starts to get harry. I give them a call that evening when I get off work to try and see how long i should expect to be without a monitor, and if they could send the replacement with a return shipping label for me to send back the defective unit. I presume their systems aren't all hooked together because he didn't know what the issue was even after giving him the RMA# so when I told him that it had 3 pixels DOA, he told me "that is within specs", and they are allowed 5 dead pixels so it probably wont be covered under warranty. I basically laughed at him and hung up. then I sent an email to the support email I had been dealing with to verify that they were going to make me pay to send it back then when it arrived tell me that I was going to have to pay for repairs....
Yep, that was the plan... so I told them that I will just return it to the retailer for a full refund and purchase a new monitor from a different manufacturer then review their product everywhere it is sold online.

really... "We are allowed 5 dead pixels" who the hell sells a defective product then wants you to pay to send it back and have it fixed at your expense so that 2 weeks down the road you can have a monitor twice the original price for what is essentially a refurbished product!!

SignBurst PCs

Yes, you definitely get what you pay for. That being said, it still sux.

Honestly, most monitors do have a 5 dead pixel clause in the warranty, even the major manufacturers carry this clause. Crazy huh? You just end up seeing it more in the "lesser" brands.

rjssigns

Monitor rot. Once pixels start goin' it don't take long for the rest.
When I set up the wife with a new PC I may just get a 32" 1080p flatscreen. Plenty of res for what she needs/does, and they are cheap as chips now.

ucmj22

Yeah I am being cheap but I kinda have to be so the wife doesn't give me schnit since this monitor goes to the computer that I bought on accident a couple weeks ago. Maybe I'll just have to go a bit smaller.
I think i'll institute a 5 bubble/wrinkle rule on my signs too.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Apple has the same standard. My parents bought their first computer (an IMac) about 5 years ago, they were all excited, opened the box, turned the computer on... and 3 dead pixels smack dab in the middle of the screen. I called up support and they informed me of the same thing. I told them it was my parents first computer and I did not think it was a good first experience with their product... they immediately took care of it, sent me a new computer, with free shipping, no restock fee. I read that this is usually their policy to replace one time. If they didn't, I would have blown my top!

ucmj22

So I guess they didnt like the idea of me bad mouthing them all over tarnation, cuz they just called, and told me that management has approved an advance replacement of the unit with return shipping included. I just have to give a credit card that they can charge if they dont receive the defective unit in 15 days.

choucove

We have been lucky so far and not had any monitors come in with dead pixels. We order almost exclusively all high-end Dell, LG, and Samsung monitors though.

I have had this happen, though, with another company. Most all of the computers we build use ASUS motherboards and thankfully we have had almost no trouble with their hardware (hence why we use it!) Unfortunately, when we were building a test system for our office using a Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 motherboard, we received a defective unit that just refused to boot. This is a pretty expensive motherboard, so I contacted them about the issue immediately. After getting my information they issues a RMA for me, but I was required to pay for the shipping to them (they would pay for the return next-day shipping after it was repaired.)

Anyways, after a week, I received the board back and had been told by the original tech assigned to our account that I would be getting a whole new board. I didn't. It was the exact same board. In fact, when I got it reassembled again the exact same thing happened! I called them to ask what had happened, and he informed me that they had received the board and it seemed to work fine for them. They likewise had charged me for the return shipping!!!

So now I had a motherboard that was still dead (confirmed with several other processors and mixture of hardware) and he said there was nothing else he could do for us, we would have to purchase a whole new board. It was at this point that I went to several major retailers (and contacted my main distributor) and informed them of the issue I had with claims and refusal to fix my motherboard that was less than 40 days old! Somehow, word got back to ASUS and I was contacted by another representative who offered to ship me a replacement board. However, they had to charge my credit card again for the new board until the old defective one was received by them.

After that, everything went smoothly.

I guess unfortunately there will always be rough times dealing with customer service, but hopefully things get worked out in the end!

visual800

Im sorry this happened to you and IMO you should call and says its jacked up and right them they should swap it out, on their buck.

There is a remedy for situations like this. I would have went and bought another one got home and carefully opened box and then shoved the broke one back in and returned it. sealing box back up as no one could tell. Its dirty and it may not be right but Ive done it and Ill do it again.

No one stands behind their products anymore. no one cares. Everything is just about disposable and its all how about "how many can we make and how fast" they dont care if the machine last 1 year or 3 months. Warranties mean nothing.

They should statrt placing large decals on stuff where the warranty is that says WARRANTY ENDS WHEN YOU BUY IT!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yup..... pretty much all brand allow up to a certain number of stuck pixels. Sucks to get one though. I recently picked up a used NEX LCD2690WUXi on ebay dirt cheap for $200! Arrived in perfect shape. :p All I can say is wow, IPS panels are amazing. All of our other monitors are Samsungs ranging from 20" to 24". While not ISP they have served us really well and you can often find them as refurbs for well under $150. Wish it was easy to find IPS panels for cheap but that was pure luck to find a 26" one for as low as I did.

WildWestDesigns

I have had this happen, though, with another company. Most all of the computers we build use ASUS motherboards and thankfully we have had almost no trouble with their hardware (hence why we use it!) Unfortunately, when we were building a test system for our office using a Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 motherboard, we received a defective unit that just refused to boot. This is a pretty expensive motherboard, so I contacted them about the issue immediately. After getting my information they issues a RMA for me, but I was required to pay for the shipping to them (they would pay for the return next-day shipping after it was repaired.)

That's too bad. I run the Asus motherboards and my dad runs that very motherboard that you are talking about. He also has a Asus VX7 (boy I wish I had that one).

ucmj22

We have been lucky so far and not had any monitors come in with dead pixels. We order almost exclusively all high-end Dell, LG, and Samsung monitors though.

Anyways, after a week, I received the board back and had been told by the original tech assigned to our account that I would be getting a whole new board. I didn't. It was the exact same board. In fact, when I got it reassembled again the exact same thing happened! I called them to ask what had happened, and he informed me that they had received the board and it seemed to work fine for them. They likewise had charged me for the return shipping!!!

So now I had a motherboard that was still dead (confirmed with several other processors and mixture of hardware) and he said there was nothing else he could do for us, we would have to purchase a whole new board. It was at this point that I went to several major retailers (and contacted my main distributor) and informed them of the issue I had with claims and refusal to fix my motherboard that was less than 40 days old! Somehow, word got back to ASUS and I was contacted by another representative who offered to ship me a replacement board. However, they had to charge my credit card again for the new board until the old defective one was received by them.

After that, everything went smoothly.

I guess unfortunately there will always be rough times dealing with customer service, but hopefully things get worked out in the end!

I almost bought an asus 24" monitor, but about 8% of the reviews were one star with the same gray screen issue. unfortunately this model was brand new and had no reviews so I was guinea pigging myself.

Im sorry this happened to you and IMO you should call and says its jacked up and right them they should swap it out, on their buck.

There is a remedy for situations like this. I would have went and bought another one got home and carefully opened box and then shoved the broke one back in and returned it. sealing box back up as no one could tell. Its dirty and it may not be right but Ive done it and Ill do it again.

No one stands behind their products anymore. no one cares. Everything is just about disposable and its all how about "how many can we make and how fast" they dont care if the machine last 1 year or 3 months. Warranties mean nothing.

They should statrt placing large decals on stuff where the warranty is that says WARRANTY ENDS WHEN YOU BUY IT!

I just wanted to give the manufacturer a chance to make it right, since it always says in the manual not to return it to the store. but had they not gotten back with me as stated in post 9, I would have had no problem returning it to walmart for a refund.

David Wright

Yeah I am being cheap but I kinda have to be so the wife doesn't give me schnit since this monitor goes to the computer that I bought on accident a couple weeks ago. Maybe I'll just have to go a bit smaller.
I think i'll institute a 5 bubble/wrinkle rule on my signs too.

Out of tragedy comes inspiration! Yes, minimum bubble/wrinkle rule now going into effect. Sign installations guaranteed for 6 months also.

It's like food companies that manufacture all your boxed and frozen foods. There allowed to have certain numbers of spider and cockaroack legs in your food.

My new sign policy. 5 bubble/ wrinkles sounds good and I'll throw in the only way to get a replacement sign is if you can get NASA to say that a solar flare damaged the sign.