• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New one for me.......................................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Got a request in for magnetic ADA signs for a medical facility. I've searched and can't really find anything. The only thing I can think of is to get regular ADA signs and adhere magnetic to the backs. I suggested that and the guy said no, not really, we want the magnetic sign to have the ADA in it. No reason as to anything, so I'm not sure how far I'm gonna take this.

ANyone ever hear of such an animal ??

:thankyou: Gino

Jason Thomas

Not an expert here... just a thought. Shouldn't ADA always be mounted with double sided tape as they are permanent signs? Using a magnetic back would somewhat render them as temporary signs. Doesn't seem like a good idea that you could move an ADA sign easily if it is only held by a magnet.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good point. You got me to thinking. I don't know of any metal walls in any medical place, either. Usually the doors are metal and you aren't allowed to put them on doors. I think this guys specs are all wrong.

FASTSIGNS

Does he want the ADA sign to be magnetic receptive? Meaning you can place magnets of it? For a prototype for a client hospital we added a steel area so that their mags would stick (they said things like "clean", 'no solid food", "wear PPE"). The order never materialized. Or does he want the sign to come off and on like a magnet. The we use tin/ steel on a backer then put magnet on the back of the whole sign.

• OMG / WOW
Reactions: 2B

Gino

Premium Subscriber
But doesn't that make the sign prone to being tampered with ?? I can just see a blind person moving their hand around on this thing to read it, then dropping it to the floor. Now, the seeing eye dog hasta pick it up in his mouth and the blind person hasta figure out where it goes.

Just futsing with ya, those examples really look nice, I just don't understand how they can be considered ADA by their own rulings ??

visual800

sounds like one of "those" people that call and the only option you have is to get rid of them and pawn them off to the internet where they can continue to live their signage fantasy. I sear some people smoke a big ole joint and then ask for the most "off the wall" BS Ive ever heard

Stacey K

I like making signs
Could you ask him what the reasoning is behind the request?

I find it odd they would switch the conference room out for the operating room just to "change things up". Could it be for name plates of offices? Or maybe they just want to add magnets FastSigns said.

Seems like this guy needs to give you a more of an explaination.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
His explanation was, if a room gets moved to another location, the sign can easily travel along with it. I believe what's gonna happen is, there are quite a few exam rooms and they might change the numbering system according to the day's load or triage needs. There are quite a few other signs, which also don't make sense. I'm waiting til I get more input to make my final quote..... or just walk away from a dumb setup.

Stacey K

I like making signs
His explanation was, if a room gets moved to another location, the sign can easily travel along with it. I believe what's gonna happen is, there are quite a few exam rooms and they might change the numbering system according to the day's load or triage needs. There are quite a few other signs, which also don't make sense. I'm waiting til I get more input to make my final quote..... or just walk away from a dumb setup.
OK- that makes sense! Still maybe a dry erase board would be better lol

Scotchbrite

No comment
Good point. You got me to thinking. I don't know of any metal walls in any medical place, either. Usually the doors are metal and you aren't allowed to put them on doors. I think this guys specs are all wrong.
It always amazes me how many people don't realize magnets only stick to certain metals. They think if its metal, it will work.

FASTSIGNS

Ok, sounds like he wants the function to be changeable and the room # to be permanent. That makes sense. So a 2 part sign (within a frame is best). Easy.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yeah he's probably talking about a frame that gets taped to the wall. The frame has a thin metal ferrous sheet in the face side and the faceplate has magnetic sheeting on the back (or vice versa). The frame stays in place, the faces can easily be removed/relocated.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure how you can make that assessment ?? If room #4 moves over to room #7, it's a whole room is moved to a new location. Number and function are both moving. I don't build these rooms, but I still can't figure out how a magnet will work ?? They said they'd get back to me, once the architect explains his needs/wants. These idiots are nothing more than a grade C level pencil pusher who happen to know how to read a drawing. However, they don't know the fundamentals of what they are asking. Therefore, the silly notions these things will work.

It's almost like putting magnetic signs on a building for your main sign. Instal this big a$$ sign on a metal substrate. Next morning come in....... and it's gone. :omg: Duh, that wasn't supposed to happen.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A lot better than the frickin' architects........................ boys & girls alike. I guess all those other 57 varieties don't help, either. So many things to keep their minds off their work.

Yeah he's probably talking about a frame that gets taped to the wall. The frame has a thin metal ferrous sheet in the face side and the faceplate has magnetic sheeting on the back (or vice versa). The frame stays in place, the faces can easily be removed/relocated.
Weird that you guys brought this up, but our shop got an order for something similar this week.
Ours will be two parts:
The backing panel is acrylic (backed by mounting tape) with painted galvaneal sheet mounted flush over it.
The 'sign' is painted acrylic, with magnetic mounting tape, and Tactile text, braille, and laser cut accents. We are printing the text and braille, but mounting the cut accent strips.

They are a group of office suite ID signs. I'm guessing the magnet mounting means the building has some turnover and they will want these to change/move often.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
These are exam rooms, not house numbers. They can be any in order they want and on any given day they can change for whatever reason. I just don't see what ADA rulings have to do with this, let alone being magnetic with braille.

BigNate

I am not sure how it is in your neck of the woods... but here in the Republic of California, we have to register room numbers somehow (a different department than 'printing', so I know of it, but not familiar) - the fire department must have a map that has room numbers on it, and if they change, the change has to be filed first - one cannot (well, not legally) arbitrarily change room numbers on a commercial building. I seem to recall a similar situation both in Colorado and also in Hawaii - room numbers are basically static.

Now, what the room is called and what it is used for can change - but whatever room numbers are in the plan the Fire Department has on file when the make their surprise visit better match what is displayed on the rooms.