• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New one for me.......................................................

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I am not sure how it is in your neck of the woods... but here in the Republic of California, we have to register room numbers somehow (a different department than 'printing', so I know of it, but not familiar) - the fire department must have a map that has room numbers on it, and if they change, the change has to be filed first - one cannot (well, not legally) arbitrarily change room numbers on a commercial building. I seem to recall a similar situation both in Colorado and also in Hawaii - room numbers are basically static.

Now, what the room is called and what it is used for can change - but whatever room numbers are in the plan the Fire Department has on file when the make their surprise visit better match what is displayed on the rooms.
Located in Ca, do you have to tag all the signs you install with a prop 65 warning decal? "Do not eat this sign - may cause cancer."

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
See, this kinda makes sense. Firefighters need to be able to locate room xxx as fast as possible.
I have never seen them move fast. It's just another big bureaucracy. By the time they got done digging out the map and figuring out a plan the place will already be burned down. Are they gonna read the signs on the doors in a burning building or do they all know how to read braille with gloves on? It's just more local government BS for businesses to deal with.

Notarealsignguy

Ideally you would pull a map up while still en route and decide whether you'd enter from north or south. Braille isn't for fire fighters don't ya know. Plus if they read my braille signs it'll just be a bunch of swears and puns based off room names. Soiled Storage? More like Boiled Porridge! I get bored pretty rapidly when doing braille...
They gonna carry around a file of thousands of places as they gear up heading to the call? I stand behind it being unnecessary nonsense. I could see it for a school, hospital or large church but not everyone.

The Hobbyist

See, this kinda makes sense. Firefighters need to be able to locate room xxx as fast as possible.
Here in AR, we are closing up a bid where the architect is dictating what gets a room number. Her argument for no office numbers or anything on the majority of the doors is that at any time they may vacate the office and turn it into storage... so they are all temporary. Then she turns around when conversing with the contractor and says the sign company said this. F*ck that, I'm not taking the heat for the delayed C.O., here contractor Dan, here is where she said that office might turn into a storage room.
Get everything IN WRITING., with a SIGNATURE.

Joe

Notarealsignguy

A car drove into a canal here the other day, in one closeup picture I counted 12 of them and that isn't including the dive team that showed up in their 40' bus plus the other side of the canal plus the ones standing on the bridge.
dead.gif

BigNate

They gonna carry around a file of thousands of places as they gear up heading to the call? I stand behind it being unnecessary nonsense. I could see it for a school, hospital or large church but not everyone.
... well, YES! at least the Fireman at my last inspection in Colorado 15 years ago did... I used to hate and dread when the FD would make their surprise visit... However, that last time in CO, a newer Firefighter and I got talking and I was able to see it from his side - (this was not from what was legislated, or whatnot, just one person trying to do his job the best he can)... well, the long story short, he said they get city map of the buildings, all digital and only a few minutes - basically when he runs into a burning building trying to save someone, he wants to know exactly where things are in the shop - makes a lot of sense to me.

Talk to any firefighter and ask what was on their test... they have to study a map for something like 10-30 seconds, then accurately answer questions about the layout - how many rooms, where are they, can you draw a rough layout from memory, etc. This is because they get the maps.... Now, how much use the actual room number signs are in an actual emergency is up for debate - but having a relatively static layout with common room numbers they can refer to probably makes their job much safer overall.

Imagine a fire chief asking where people may still be in the building: "... they were in room 135.... no wait, 112, no it was room 7,... dang! no we made it a closet now and there is no number.... oh, no its conference room 2 now..."

Notarealsignguy

basically when he runs into a burning building trying to save someone, he wants to know exactly where things are in the shop - makes a lot of sense to me.
I understand but honestly, how often does this happen? It's like a solution in search of a problem. A hazmat layout for industrial places I could see but room layouts that can't be changed without going to the municipality? There have been some large warehouse fires over the past year and from what I recall, none of them had anyone get hurt let alone die. House fires are a different animal
This was the latest one that I can think of: https://fox59.com/indiana-news/crews-leave-scene-of-walmart-warehouse-fire-what-we-know-so-far/

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like when the fire people came through our shop. Ya need an extinguisher here, one there, one over there, one down there, another one over there. Ya need some more out here and ya need this kind here and that kind there. I finally said to the guy..... wait a minute. Do you think I'm gonna try to put a fire out in this frickin' fire trap ?? If I see or smell smoke, I'm not heading towards it to find these fire extinguishers, I'm heading out the closest door and Y O U guys are gonna come and put it out, not me.

Oh yeah..... suck on toad's what ?? You're gross, even for a Friday afternoon.

Notarealsignguy

Like when the fire people came through our shop. Ya need an extinguisher here, one there, one over there, one down there, another one over there. Ya need some more out here and ya need this kind here and that kind there. I finally said to the guy..... wait a minute. Do you think I'm gonna try to put a fire out in this frickin' fire trap ?? If I see or smell smoke, I'm not heading towards it to find these fire extinguishers, I'm heading out the closest door and Y O U guys are gonna come and put it out, not me.

Oh yeah..... suck on toad's what ?? You're gross, even for a Friday afternoon.
Exactly! We're spending about $2500/year on fire equipment inspections at my shop which isn't even big. I have to put another suppression system in now, another $5000. Like you said, one whiff of smoke and I'm outta here. I'll grab a lawn chair and some marshmallows on the way out the door.