• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New or used VersaCAMM?

royster13

No piece of equipment you buy will ever do everything you want and/or need it to do....Best thing to do is buy what shop space, money, motivation, etc. allows you too.....And then promote the heck out of what you can do with it......Some shops have so much equipment and overhead, they price themselves out of some jobs....So even with a lesser machine you can do okay....

Samy98

VS 54" vs 540 vs Mimaki JV33 130

Hello guys with experience please help

My mind is balancing between Roland VS 54" and Mimaki JV 33 130
I know that mimaki doesn't have a cutter on it, the price is about $17 000.00 and Roland is $22 000.00 with cutter.
as my budget is very limited i am looking to bus a used one arround 11 000.00
What are your suggestions .Any help will be great,

Thank you

Samy

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Samy......

I'm sure you'll get better help and input if you keep your requests and needs separate from the OP, Colin, by starting your own thread on the subject. That way it will remain Colin's and yours will become your own.

The Equipment Guy

Colin,

Whichever way you decide to go, we can probably help you out. We can offer used, refurb and new in the Rolands. I have a customer who is very close to getting rid of a SP300v we could sell you as well.

The 30" can be a struggle when you need materials quickly, most suppliers stock WAY more 54" material.

The main benefit of course is that we are a Canadian company and can work with you without crossing borders. If you decide to start with a 30" unit and then decide to move up, we can help you to get rid of the 30".

I know of a vp540 coming up for sale locally as well.

Craig

tomence

Colin you got only one option then, since you are limited to have a smaller printer i guess the only one you can get brand new is the Roland in the 30" size. Just pick which one you want to buy SP, VP or VS. I know Mimaki has the 24" printer/cutter but that is too small. For the same price you can get a 30".

Colin

Colin you got only one option then, since you are limited to have a smaller printer i guess the only one you can get brand new is the Roland in the 30" size. Just pick which one you want to buy SP, VP or VS. I know Mimaki has the 24" printer/cutter but that is too small. For the same price you can get a 30".

Thanks. I just posted this in another thread, but it applies here too:

I have my shop's floor plan all drawn up in my sign program, and I've been noodling with moving things around, and it looks like I could fit a 54" machine in.........just.

Those VS machines are pretty tempting, but boy, pricey! The 42 is also an option in between the 30 and the 54. Oy, it's like a candy store!

It appears that what you get with the VS over the SP is: Metallic, White, better print quality, and speed. Is that it, or am I missing any other features?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You do realize that the overall width of the Roland 30" is around 68"........ about 30" from front to back and about 45" off the floor.... ?? Then you need to maneuver around front and back for loading and unloading media and also filling cartridges.

I would imagine you’d need a space about 7.5’ x 5’ to fit this unit and still be manageable for use and maintenance.

tomence

You gonna get a lot better prints, faster printing speed, i mean the VS is a whole new printer and very different than the SP. Even the VP is better than than the SP in the print quality. I have been subbing out my printing to this store that is a Roland dealer and when i started with them they had my prints done on an SP demo model than they got a new VP and the same files that were done on the SP came out a lot better on the VP. Now they got a new VS demo and it prints better than the SP and the VP. So there is gonna be a big difference eventhou they are all 4 color or cmyk printers. Now you do realize that you can setup the VS to be 6 color or dual CMYK and or be able to print metallics so setup the printer to do metallic printing.

tomence

But i think the best way to find out which printer you gonna like is to visit some dealers and check out every single one of them. We can talk here as much as you want but still you are the one to decide which printer to buy and to do so you gonna have to check some printers out.

Colin

You do realize that the overall width of the Roland 30" is around 68"........ about 30" from front to back and about 45" off the floor.... ?? Then you need to maneuver around front and back for loading and unloading media and also filling cartridges.

Thanks Gino. Yes, I have all of the various printer sizes drawn to scale in my floor-plan on my computer, and can see exactly what will happen with each option.

Malkin

Metallic & white might give you some of the functionality that the thermal would have. I wonder if you can setup a run to spot print white on clear, then go back and print the colors like an edge would do...
I would probably go for that, or the 6 color option myself.

tomence

Getting the 6 color option is a good way to go, you get better printing quality but slower speeds but still good enough, so it depends how busy you are. If you don't have the market for the matallic and white then don't go for it.

Colin

You gonna get a lot better prints, faster printing speed, i mean the VS is a whole new printer and very different than the SP. Even the VP is better than than the SP in the print quality. I have been subbing out my printing to this store that is a Roland dealer and when i started with them they had my prints done on an SP demo model than they got a new VP and the same files that were done on the SP came out a lot better on the VP. Now they got a new VS demo and it prints better than the SP and the VP. So there is gonna be a big difference even though they are all 4 color or cmyk printers.

Hmmmm, tempting. Although, while we might notice differences, will my customers?

Now you do realize that you can setup the VS to be 6 color or dual CMYK......

As I am forest-green on digital printing, could you kindly explain what that means, and what other cartidge set-up options the VS offers, and their advantages/disadvantages?

tomence

You have 3 options to setup the VS printer.

1st option: 4 color (C M Y K) x 2

2nd option: 6 color C M Y K Lc Lm

3rd option: 8 color C M Y K Lc Lm Mt(Metallic) and W(White)

tomence

I don't know about your customers or my customers if they can make a difference but personally for me i like to sell better prints, but even if you go with the 4 color setup the VS will print a lot better than the SP. I am not saying the SP will not do the job right but it is an old technology and if i have to spend $10 000 to get the SP i would rather put that as a down payment and get me a new printer with 2 year warranty and on site repairs also free installation and training.

Colin

Why x2?

For richer, fuller colors?

Does the Mt and W require the Lc and Lm, or could you do CMYK + W, or CMYK + Mt?

tomence

Why x2? You can have two sets of cmyk because there are 8 ink cartridge slots on that printer and this way you get faster printing.

For richer, fuller colors? Yes.

Does the Mt and W require the Lc and Lm, or could you do CMYK + W, or CMYK + Mt?
Yes they do require the Lc and Lm, that way you can use all the metallic collors form the roland metallic color pallete.