• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New rite media laminator

bruce

I purchased a sign shop and a rite media laminator was included.
For the life of me I can't get it to laminate without wrinkling the laminate.
Does anyone have experience with this type of laminator. I need suggestions and probably tension setting.
TIA

rjssigns

That's a rebranded Royal Sovereign. You need to make sure the laminate tension is set correctly. I also run bogus paper on mine so I don't have to worry about laminate sticking to the roller. Bogus paper tension also needs to be set correctly.

I've said it before I'll say it again. Laminating is an art, not science. You need to find out how the laminator likes to run and stay within those parameters.

bruce

That's a rebranded Royal Sovereign. You need to make sure the laminate tension is set correctly. I also run bogus paper on mine so I don't have to worry about laminate sticking to the roller. Bogus paper tension also needs to be set correctly.

I've said it before I'll say it again. Laminating is an art, not science. You need to find out how the laminator likes to run and stay within those parameters.
thanks for the reply. So should the laminate be tight or the print? i just dont know where to start to dial this in.

Stacey K

I like making signs
All I have is a 2 roll laminator with a hand crank. I ended up starting from scratch last night. I lifted the rollers so there was just a sliver of light, then put them together...then just a little crank. I feel like there's not much pressure but finally last night I got perfect lamination several times in a row with large prints. I had too much pressure and it was not even and I was going to fast. I sent Notarealsignguy a photo and he gave me some suggestions and they worked! Maybe start from scratch with little to no tension and pressure and make tiny adjustments? Less seems to be more for me. Not saying that's the answer but I spent 5 hours on it last night and I got much better lamination than I was getting.

rjssigns

thanks for the reply. So should the laminate be tight or the print? i just dont know where to start to dial this in.
You will need to figure out the tension. Knurled knobs on the shaft ends - CW for more tension - CCW for less. Mine are turned maybe a bit less than halfway tight.
I run mine with just enough tension that the laminate doesn't sag when unspooling. Too much tension and you introduce all kinds of issues.