• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to me permitting issue - foot-candles

Johnny Best

they are for seeing where you are walking at night

Attachments

• foot candles.jpg
    foot candles.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Medina Signs

Old Member
Just to let you know - Principal LED makes a 3 channel dimmer for their leds - Not sure if it dims all the way to zero but you would be able to dial in a much lower intensity - have the building dept. come out with their light meter to prove you wrong (or make adjustments).

I've had 2 similar situations - on the first one - replacing a face from an existing cabinet running T-12's - They required a lighting spec on the application - I just made guess to fulfil the permit app requirements, they never checked. Total waste of time trying to figure out the fc's. On another job that used all white faces on a channel letter sign, it was also brought up, so I told them that a dimmer would be installed and that they could be there when i adjusted the intensity to their liking. I never heard any more about it and the LEDS were left at full brightness. I should go back and pull the dimmer for future use on another job.

all in all I understand the need, but until the industry and the building departments tighten up their game with some standards that are understandable, I'll continue to play my game.

Good luck - hope that helped.

Scotchbrite

No comment
After I responded with an explanation of how the Carl's Jr and trees lining the street will obscure the sign from the only residence that could possibly see the sign, they approved my permit.

I did learn enough thru this thread that I can come up with a response next time; thanks all for the input. Medina Signs, the dimmer is an interesting idea. As you experienced, I'm sure the planners would never come check it. The rub would be if someone complained.