• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new to Photoshop... any good books?

jeroen

After working for forever with Corel PhotoPaint, I'd like to give Photoshop a try
(yeah, I know, I should have made the switch ages ago...)

So, any of you have recommendations on good PS books?

oh... I got PS CS3 if that matters...

GK

there are a ton of good books but personally if I were you and you had the extra money to invest, i would either get a year subscription to lynda.com or buy the dvds you want there an then you can have the tutorials on dvd and all the project files to go with them.

fozzyber

Lynda.com. is your best bet, I love it , I used photoshop for 15 years, before I started lynda.com, and my knowledge has increased 10 fold, I can not say enough about online video training,
I you want you can get a few tips from youtube as well.
just do a search for "photoshop tips" or "photoshop tutorials"
some nice gems. also there is "nappa" goggle it. nice info there as well. but for structured you can not beat lynda.com or Total Training

GK

the only thing i dont like about lynda (and i do like it a lot)...is the fact that it is narrarated by people who have a 24/7 IV drip of Redbull and Starbucks w/ a hint of coke lol. They are wired off the wall in these videos.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
personally, I have a heap of books, all good at something, but the Photoshop Bible (D McLelland) explained a lot really well- not in tutorial mode, but in theory, which I wanted.

In your case, you may find if you were good at Photopaint, then it's only a matter of figuring out the differences & progressing from there.

ChicagoGraphics

I think I have every book on Photoshop & Illustrator thats out there, and still I'm crapy at Photoshop. I took a couple of classes at the local college and learned more from them classes then what I read it these books.

436HENRY

Photo shop is good and I like photo impact Pro also

I have had adobe photo shop for many years.

I bought photo impact pro at sams for around $80.00 I really like it

It is a nova product at 1-818-591-9600 It was easy to learn. Lots of features Henry Goines

If you like to mess with pictures photo pro is good I f you want to reduce the pictures for the forum and the web then photo shop is the one

mediaman

Join NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) for $100. For that 100 you get Photoshop magazine ~10 times a year, product discounts, free shipping from B & H, and a GREAT website with endless tutorials, tips, etc. Well worth the price. Last year the free shipping at B & H almost paid for my subscription.

GK

Join NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) for $100. For that 100 you get Photoshop magazine ~10 times a year, product discounts, free shipping from B & H, and a GREAT website with endless tutorials, tips, etc. Well worth the price. Last year the free shipping at B & H almost paid for my subscription.

not to mention a subscription to Layers magazine for $5 right now (new promo) The discounts we got when upgrading to CS3 paid for itself for the next decade...and the pen tablets...and the cintiq 21ux monitor...and the stock photo discounts....i can sit here all day and list the thousands of dollars that $100 a year membership has done for us.

mediaman

You said it George! Early renewal, once you are a member, is even less than $100. A no-brainer for certain.

jeroen

thanks for all the input

found what looks to be a decent book at the local bookstore, that has the basics covered

I'll dig into more specific stuff once I've figured out the basic differences between Adobe and Corel

slappy

the photoshop cs/cs2 wow! book, well worth the money, full color and a tutoring cd. (i'm new also but learned alot with this book so far)