• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New tunes from Nickelback

iSign

It's the Pearl Jam Mike was speaking of (who I've been a big fan of and seen twice, along withTemple of the dogs...)

From a pure music standpoint, lost of bands like this hit it big and then never grow or expand as musicians because they're afraid of losing that paycheck...

...It doesn't have to be this way though. Look at Pearl Jam.

...Every one of their albums sounds different. They show growth. They show experimentation and talent. They don't sound like they're written following a recipe for record sales...

Letterbox Mike

What is this "Pearl Jam" you speak of?

gasp!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDqIj8cetPc&feature=related

My favorite PJ song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NmOfsruZGE&feature=related

Better Man... I've seen them a half-dozen times live, every time I see this song live sends chills down my spine. Sold out arenas, they'll stop singing (sometimes playing altogether) and the ENTIRE arena sings the song perfectly, it's really amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odCnNpq-n5w&feature=related

Here's Eddie Vedder's recent foray into ukulele music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=857m8CBhxmg

They've been around for 20 years now, one of the most diverse and influential rock bands in history. They're also huge activists and raise and donate staggering amounts of money for various charities. Pearl Jam is a perfect example of a huge mega band (many many times more successful than 99.9% of other bands, think on the scale of the Rolling Stones or U2) that is successful exactly because they do not follow that formula, they write meaningful songs that resonate with the listener, and they're not afraid to experiment and reinvent their sound.

iSign

Great post, all of it... from one musician to another, and one Doug to another....Bravo!!!

:rock-n-roll:

cool... guess us uninhibited real men will have to throw a hot tub party to celebrate the new releases...

...maybe we can get gg to show up & invite some more Nickleback chick groupies :thumb:

CheapVehicleWrap

LOL, someone just came into my site googling "Best vehicle wraps shops in America".

Just googled it and CHEAP is # 3 (below 2 ads) LOL.

Border

This is all too funny. The passion & stance people take about music & bands...almost like politics in a way.
I have only written a very small number of tunes but never recorded any of my own professionally. Just some self-done mixing.

Here's one called "Those Days Are Over" which I have stored online in my comcast storage box. The girl singing was a former girlfriend & bandmate. I wrote recorded and arranged most this long before I met her. It was my happy divorce song. Go ahead, Let the hatin' begin! LOL

iSign

Nice job Doug!
sounds Great...

how the hell'd you do that? it sounds just like all of Pearl Jam's songs!!

(except with a "Sweet home Alabama" feel)

iSign

ok, in the interest of the old "money where your mouth is" saying... I'll post a link to an improve jam I put on youtube a year ago...

(we sped up dramatically in the first minute, to find somewhere we wanted to hang... but then we locked into more than most will want to hear before meandering around looking for how to stop)

Circleville Signs

Yeah - i didn't think you were referring to me as a "hater", Doug. I just wanted to try to articulate my earlier POV a litter better - and I think i did.

Here's the thing (to the OP). Those guys are your friends - i get it. But let's call a spade a spade. Nickleback is regurgitated pop-rock that is written with radio in mind.

That's fine. They do that well. But that doesn't make it art. Just like there is a difference between Wal-Mart and Tiffany's. Is there a market for NB's music? You betcha there is. But I would argue wholeheartedly that the vast majority of people who enjoy them have no musical experience of their own, and wouldn't know quality, introspective lyrics if someone punched them in the face with the chord charts.

Here's an example

(Lyrics to one of NB's biggest hits in recent years)

We all just wanna be big rockstars
Live in hilltop mansions driving 15 cars
The girls come easy and the drugs come cheap
We'll all stay skinny 'cause we just won't eat
We'll all hang out in the coolest bars
In the VIp with the movie stars
Every good gold digger's gonna wind up there
Every playboy bunny with the bleach blonde hair

(yes, really. Those are lyrics that went #1. It makes me sick that this happened. Validates my point that most music listeners are morons...lol)

(Lyrics to a Trent Reznor song)

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole - the old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away, but I remember everything

What have I become, my sweetest friend
Everything I know goes away in the end
But you could have it all, my empire of dirt
I will tear you down, i will make you hurt

(Lyrics to a random song of mine, cut by a label band)

Never wondered where I'm going
Just concered with where I've been
The answers never find me
I've learned to hide from them
Pain can't touch what I don't open up
Empty words won't fill my broken cup

I can't push you out
I won't let you in
Where were you when life broke down?
Promises don't mean much now
I just can't believe
It makes no sense to me

Am I the ONLY person who sees the massive differences in the lryical content here? One song is vapid and has no emotional content whatsoever. One is a masterpiece that gives me chills just to read it. One explores the rawness of unresolved faith.

I would consider two of them artistic. The other I would classify as commercialized crap.

But that's just me.

And unrelated note - Doug, watched your YouTude vid. Very cool man. The 2:28 mark where the drummer and bassist started really playing off each other was very sweet :)

Flame

Um it's feel good/party rock Circleville. Just because it's not deep and depressing doesn't mean it's not good. Sometimes I want deep, emotional lyrics, sometimes I just want a feel good song to jam to on a friday night on my way to go watch a fight with the guys and some cute blonde.

Border

Um it's feel good/party rock Circleville. Just because it's not deep and depressing doesn't mean it's not good. Sometimes I want deep, emotional lyrics, sometimes I just want a feel good song to jam to on a friday night on my way to go watch a fight with the guys and some cute blonde.

THIS! I am one of the shallow ones I guess. Most of the time I never even realize what most of the lyrics are, unless I really like the song a bunch and then I will start trying to listen to what it's really about. Most of the time, if the groove is catchy, I just crank it up.

One of my greatest past time pleasures is making up my own words to bastardize popular songs. It's a sickness. I can't help it. My mind is twisted like a candy cane.

-Yours Shallowly,

The Doug

LOL

Flame

Each to their own I guess. There is plenty of "Feel good, party rock" that isn't crap though....At least I think there is. :)

Exactly, to each their own. I like em, not my top band but I do enjoy some Nickelback from time to time. More of a Rev Theory and Sick Puppies kind of guy in the end though :rock-n-roll:

iSign

(Lyrics to a random song of mine, cut by a label band)

Never wondered where I'm going
Just concered with where I've been
The answers never find me
I've learned to hide from them
Pain can't touch what I don't open up
Empty words won't fill my broken cup

I can't push you out
I won't let you in
Where were you when life broke down?
Promises don't mean much now
I just can't believe
It makes no sense to me

And unrelated note - Doug, watched your YouTude vid. Very cool man. The 2:28 mark where the drummer and bassist started really playing off each other was very sweet :)

nice song circle!
I actually have some lyrics laying around from 20 years ago... posted scans to show a friend a few months ago... maybe I'll find the link and solicit your opinion...

...but I don't know if I could ever write the music to go with them... I don't know all that alphabet soup you guys use... I'm just the f'n drummer at that 2:28 mark... although I've threatened/dreamed to plunk out a melody on a piano someday after finding middle C like I was taught years ago, marking the rest of the letters with a stabilo... and trying to move it into that face/EveryGoodBoyDeservesFavor configuration one painstaking note at a time...

on a more somber note: (pun intended) my friend Adtechia reminded me of a few things this morning... first of which is that he is a friend... and in his own words, he also managed to remind me that in my lucid moment of adolescent maturity, where it dawned on me to refrain from being a judgmental douchebag to other musicians...

...well that lucid moment should be extrapolated to include not being a judgmental douchebag to my friends and acquaintances either... besides the fact that not only musicians deserve that shard of respect... but you never know when one will turn out to be a classically trained pianist... who maybe could even help me write my hit song :rock-n-roll:

off to find those dusty old lyrics :covereyes: (where's that "Cover Ears" icon when you need it?)