• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New tunes from Nickelback

iSign

Love them or hate them. New tunes from Nickelback released today. Enjoy.

http://nickelback.com/

hey I went to that link... WTF?

there's TWO new songs... but I had to listen to them separately?

what's up wit dat?? is it my browser? ..maybe my iPhone?
I need flash or something? ...or maybe i need a mac, or a droid, or a chevy

...where's the mash-up link... I don't have time to listen to two songs in a row! :banghead:

iSign

...where's the mash-up link... I don't have time to listen to two songs in a row! :banghead:

just kidding... here's my real thoughts on the matter:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I gave up hatin' on musicians around the time I was 15 years old. I had previously been a hard core fan or what was called "heavy metal" in the mid 70's (think Led Zeppelin, Deep purple, Black Sabbath etc...) but as I entered my 3rd year of playing drums in my own band, I realized a few things...

even if I was ready to turn my back on my all out allegiance to heavy metal, in favor of jazz fusion... and even as I recognized the more diverse nuanced expertise of bands like Weather Report, Return to Forever, or Mahavishnu Orchestra, as opposed to the narrow 3 chord predictability of the likes of Ted Nugent, Cheap Trick, or Aerosmith...

...as an honest young musician, looking to critique myself, to attain greater heights in my own musical exploration... virtually every band I ever heard could teach me something, and almost every band with a record deal or radio airplay contained musicians who at least in some regards were better than myself & my friends...

...so if Bun E. Carlos, drummer of Cheap trick, looked like a doofus, and their music reaked (to me) of formula pop sounds, with traditional big hair front men.... even so... the dude played better drums then me...

After this one massively opinionated, self aggrandizing, know-it-all acquaintance of mine pushed the "rocker-hater" mentality to an all time, non-stop diatribe of disdain, contempt & seething judgment against those 70's mainstays... AND... all this from a guy who himself, could play nothing beyond the radio...
I reached a point in my young life where I decided unless someone had no redeeming value whatsoever.. and could show me nothing, then I would STFU, or learn everything that lowly rock star had himself mastered, before I would have any rights to bash him...

so, all you haters on this thread... just because I've been playing in bands for 4 decades, I don't claim to be any more qualified to comment (even though I obviously think I am ;) ) then you jealous, stone throwing peons from the peanut gallery are... I still have my own unsolicited opinions to put forth...

...but before I even start, let me make not of the fact that after jamming with hundreds of different people in my unprofessional hobby "career' of jam bands & open mic nights... I can honestly say that even among folks who call themselves musicians, the vast majority can't even keep rock solid time as long as a 3 minute Nickleback song... and an even greater percentage couldn't master the basic social challenges to even stay true to one musical style, let alone one business plan or the vastly more demanding and diverse set of challenges required to make music and make money in a very fickle North American entertainment landscape...

so, for a guy whi is far from being a fan, and had no recollection of who Nickleback even was until I checked out the links on this thread... in my opinion, they are too good to deserve the peanut gallery potshots people offer up to make themselves feel superior, or align themselves with some version of a superior musical style, or to distance themselves from whatever it is they fear...

I mean maybe they have fallen into a formula routine... but I recognized those two songs from the overlay video... and I think those are decent songs... and then these 2 new songs? How shallow can someone's musical perceptiveness be to say it's all the same?

I mean what are you guys listening to? Both those songs are distinctly different from each other, and from the older songs... sorry... but I'm not needing mass validation bad enough to jump on the Hate Nickleback bandwagon... hell, I won't even stay on the hate Adholio bandwagon... well, ok, for that matter, I won't stay OFF that wagon either...

...speaking of which WHERE THE HELL DO YOU COME OFF JUDGING THEM ADDIE? do you have a creative bone in your body? Do you even play an instrument? Have you done anything worth holding up for public scrutiny that affords you the security to bash someone else's creative pursuits? ...ESPECIALLY when they have made money with their music, and YOU routinely justify your worst of the worst creative contributions to our collective polluted visual landscape, just because it puts another baloney sandwich in you kids mouths?? You, my friend, have ZERO street cred for passing creative judgement, IMO :popcorn:

Last edited:

iSign

What's to be confused about? Either you love em' or hate em'. I know they have at least one good song. And if all their songs are really the same, then they have many.

And, if any two songs can be played simultaneously to create a third... The catalogue of "many" suddenly grows exponentially!

iSign

Consider for a moment, in this era of automated laser, digital print, or computer numeric controlled production technology... Guys like Adrian, Mr. Chips and others who are handy with a chisel are well respected for their talents, even if a slew of clean uncluttered layouts are completed with their own predictable signature style of 2 to 3 colors, incised carving and gold leaf... and we don't complain of creative stagnation, or stylistic continuity...

So why do musicians get held to demanding standards of both satisfying mass appeal, and living up to others expectations for risk taking innovation and creative diversity? For better or worse, it ain't no secret that record deals often involve "sell-out" obligations, where artists trade future obligations to deliver formula "pop singles" in exchange for the financial backing that often propels a band into national recognition...

For some middle of the road talents, if the only way to "sell" at that level, might involve "selling out" to industry executives... Im sure there have been more than a fee bands who had contractural obligations to crank out a few similar records before attaining the financial (& professional) security to spread their wings, roll the dice and reinvent themselves...

Circleville Signs

I don't have 4 decades of experience, but I'm closing in on 3 :) Played music professionally for several stints. Written 100's of songs, a few of which have even been cut on major labels.

As I said, I totally respect the fact that Nickleback has earned their place. They hustled, and worked their tails off. They carved out a niche and they have mastered the business side of it....

But the music is not good. It is played well. The band members perform their parts well. Chad has a good voice.

But there is no artistry there. No creativity. No passion.

If that makes me a music snob, then so be it :)

iSign

I don't have 4 decades of experience, but I'm closing in on 3 :) Played music professionally for several stints. Written 100's of songs, a few of which have even been cut on major labels.

As I said, I totally respect the fact that Nickleback has earned their place. They hustled, and worked their tails off. They carved out a niche and they have mastered the business side of it....

But the music is not good. It is played well. The band members perform their parts well. Chad has a good voice.

no argument there.. well not much anyway...

an articulate viewpoint, is always valid... I wouldn't qualify you among the 'haters" identified in my rebuttal..

as the aforementioned devout fan of a slew of late 70's fusion greats... I certainly have a preference for musical excellence, as opposed to mere competence...

...but even to judge their music as "not good" results in my "not much anyway" qualification to my "no argument" comment...

...because just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder... once credit is given for carving their niche, or playing their parts well... I think music can only really be called "not good" if nobody thinks it is good...

...yet, having never written a single song, I will certainly defer to your expertise on songwriting...

slipperyfrog

No artistry, creativity, and passion?

I think these traits mean different things to different people. It is like comparing a great sign painter to a great digital print designer (not Addie). Is one better than the other? Do their individual abilities mean they can mimic the others abilities? Are their art forms the same? I would say they display their talent in completely different ways and tend to appeal to different clientele. At the end of the day they may still think of each other as inferior at what they do because the other does not do it their way. Who is correct?

Not trying to be an ass in any way. I'm just making the point that each of us likes/dislikes different music, art, sports...anything. I'm sure each of us could list our likes and others could find something to dislike about it.:toasting:

To those that like...enjoy the songs! Looking forward to the next tour.