• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New VersaEXPRESS RF-640

heyskull

I am getting a New VersaEXPRESS RF-640 and matching CAMM-1 GR2-640.
Has anyone experience/advice with these machines?

Thanks
SC

rjssigns

I am getting a New VersaEXPRESS RF-640 and matching CAMM-1 GR2-640.
Has anyone experience/advice with these machines?

Thanks
SC
I'd go with a Summa or Graphtec plotter. Somewhere on the forum a long time ago I did the math for the new Roland plotters. Can't remember the exact mount of drift, but it wasn't anything you'd be happy with.
I haven't run one of the latest Roland plotters but there's a reason why 99.9% of forum members use Summa or Graphtec.

Right from Rolands website.
Roland spec.png

As with anything YMMV.

heyskull

Sadly this is the deal I have been given and I realise the Summa is the one to have, but the budget is not there.
I personally don't think the Graphtec machines are as good as they use to be.

Has anyone got this printer?

SC

rjssigns

Sadly this is the deal I have been given and I realise the Summa is the one to have, but the budget is not there.
I personally don't think the Graphtec machines are as good as they use to be.

Has anyone got this printer?

SC
Fair enough. I am quite curious on the how well the plotter will track. Would also like to know how the printer performs. Please give updates.

heyskull

Will do it is to be installed next week.
Loads of profiles and backup directly from Roland.
Unlike other manufacturers!

rjssigns

Will do it is to be installed next week.
Loads of profiles and backup directly from Roland.
Unlike other manufacturers!
I'm still very confused by the lack of support for the 1641. Doesn't make sense, but that seems to be the new standard.

heyskull

I'm still very confused by the lack of support for the 1641. Doesn't make sense, but that seems to be the new standard.
I am still waiting for a response from Mutoh US, Europe & Japan after 10 weeks!!

I tested Roland Customer Service and they had contacted me within 5 minutes!
The amount of profiles kind of swayed the deal as it covered every one of the materials/manufacturers we use.

Gene@mpls

We have the RF [second one and have another coming] and GR cutter and have nothing but praise- I have used Summa's all my sign making life and they are good too.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I run Roland equipment. We run an old SP540i, EJ640, GX640, and a GS24. All run great.
We are waiting on a VF2 640 to be delivered, it is currently and for the last 90 days anchored off the California coast or sitting on the docks.

heyskull

I
I run Roland equipment. We run an old SP540i, EJ640, GX640, and a GS24. All run great.
We are waiting on a VF2 640 to be delivered, it is currently and for the last 90 days anchored off the California coast or sitting on the docks.
I now have my new rf-640 printer and GR2 640 plotter installed. I have to admit how much easier the versa RIP is to work than onyx. Also the plotter is basically a rebranded Chinese GCC which are not the best but it seems to work and track OK even though the alignment marks on the front are useless. Once tracked it seems to track quiet well.

Only time will tell, but I have had a lot of people say I have made the right decision with changing from the Mutoh 1641SR. The lack of response from them has been unbelievable.

I was warned not to buy a VF2 as everything is locked and at the moment you are stuck with the Roland ink and backup.

SC

BoboB79

Hi, guys can you upload "RolandWideGamut2_CMYK.icc" profile, it should be somewhere in the VersaWorks folder. I'd like to try it on my Mimaki as an input profile because Epson's wide gamut ICC profile shows good print

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I

I now have my new rf-640 printer and GR2 640 plotter installed. I have to admit how much easier the versa RIP is to work than onyx. Also the plotter is basically a rebranded Chinese GCC which are not the best but it seems to work and track OK even though the alignment marks on the front are useless. Once tracked it seems to track quiet well.

Only time will tell, but I have had a lot of people say I have made the right decision with changing from the Mutoh 1641SR. The lack of response from them has been unbelievable.

I was warned not to buy a VF2 as everything is locked and at the moment you are stuck with the Roland ink and backup.

SC
I just picked up a SC540 pro3 to use while we wait on the VF2. I cant print wraps with the EJ so I had to do something to keep up with jobs.

I am ok with the VF2 being locked for service and inks will come soon enough. There will be a work around for the locked service mode too sooner or later.