• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newb question.....Ok, I'm not a VEHICLE GRAPHICS person.

skyhigh

Going over rubber molding????

I'm sure this has been covered in the last 8 years I've been a member, but I was never much into vehicle graphics. I've done my share over the years, but have always avoided wraps or difficult areas (unless a trailer or box truck).

my questions.....
1. On the passenger side (given the small window coverage), would you use perf? I'd say no, in this instance.
2. What about the rubber molding? I've seen where others have gone over this rubber molding, and its cracked and peeled (standard vinyl....not print media). Whats the standard practice? If you go over the molding, is there a prep?

FYI. This customer has always insisted on "only the back 1/3" of his vans (he likes that $300-$500 price range......SUPER CHEAP!!!!!). I WAS able to talk him into a little "attention getter" on this one. This is my first rough draft to show him.

Attachments

• VAN.jpg
    VAN.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 131

skyhigh

Fk the answer to my original question. I decided it would be more fun to take a poll. So which category do you fall in?

27 viewers......OMG. How could someone not know that?
19 viewers......wow. Is he really gonna letter that van like that?
7 viewers......ewwww, he's a dog person. I like cats.
6 viewers......I only ask questions, and expect help.
4 viewers..... sky is an a$$, I'm not helping him.
8 viewers......don't know the answer either.

:rolleyes: :corndog:

John Butto

...and one viewer, #72 / how have you stayed in business so long with your lack of talent.
...and from another, #73 / if you are a dog, how do you even type.

skyhigh

haha.....you little cartoon sketcher. Have you ever built a real sign butt-o?
How about we post up some past jobs? I've never seen anything you have done.

I've seen your mediocre level of talent in elementary school.

and one viewer, #72 / how have you stayed in business so long with your lack of talent.
worded differently, but already covered in the 19 viewers.

MikePro

nice clip-work :)
upgrade your material for the guy going over the molding to a high bond / low-energy plastics vinyl and you'll be fine.

skyhigh

#75.... And don't run away now Butt-O. Don't leave, just when things are about to get fun.

I've posted plenty of past jobs on this forum.....yet, you want to critisize this "slap and paste" job (for mr. cheapo customer), as my level of talent.

Other than a half ***'d, elementary school level sketch artist, and a smart mouth......just what are you other talents??

skyhigh

nice clip-work :)
upgrade your material for the guy going over the molding to a high bond / low-energy plastics vinyl and you'll be fine.

thanks for the "high bond" (convex?) solution.

As for the "clip job" on the van....yeah. But, how much "time" can you spend on a cheap customer (or to post on here)?

slappy

if this is your draft, pay attention to your layout. You got two different wheel bases or the extended option in there if your scaling it.

thanks for the "high bond" (convex?) solution.

As for the "clip job" on the van....yeah. But, how much "time" can you spend on a cheap customer (or to post on here)?

Exactly. If he's too cheap to pay for good graphics, he's most likely too cheap to deal with art fees. As if working with Clipart is a sin.

So a 3M vinyl with primer 94 along the trim wouldn't work? I've seen good adhesion with Oracal cut vinyl on rubber moldings around Chevy suburban windows but I'm curious about these other options too, as far as what would be the best.

John Butto

elementary school level sketch

#75.... And don't run away now Butt-O. Don't leave, just when things are about to get fun.
I've posted plenty of past jobs on this forum.....yet, you want to critisize this "slap and paste" job (for mr. cheapo customer), as my level of talent.
Other than a half ***'d, elementary school level sketch artist, and a smart mouth......just what are you other talents??

My mother let me do this before Little League practice this afternoon Mr. SkyHigh. And my other talent is that I can whistle and hum at the same time.

skyhigh

if this is your draft, pay attention to your layout. You got two different wheel bases or the extended option in there if your scaling it.

Customer hasn't even took possession of the van yet. He told me the van was a 2012 leftover....Had no windows on the drivers side, but did have glass in the double doors passenger side.

Me: www.cars-dot-com.....search perfect side view pics of a 2012 E250.....clip as fast as possible (customer won't care how well I did).....overlay graphics.....notice problem on PS glass.......add shadow below van, cause the tires were really square on the bottom (haha....oops).

Soooooooooooooo, lets all forget the reason for the post. Wow.

Exactly. If he's too cheap to pay for good graphics

I don't think you meant this to sound the way it did, so don't take offense when I tell you to bite me!!! :ROFLMAO:

Buttwipe:
My mother let me do this before Little League practice this afternoon
ya got me.....hahahaha.

ps. keep your day job.......you and I are the only 2 laughing.

slappy

just wanted to point out one van is longer then the other in your sketch in case you were printing from it. Those vans have 2 different wheel bases and the 3500 has the extended rear option.. which you have one shown in your sketch.
Plus the door on the side can be double doors or one on a trac that rolls back to the rear on a trac... sorry. I should not know that much, but i do and it sucks so i'm sharing.

I haven't done a sketch like yours before, but i'm sure you would be fine without the perf unless they want to pay for it.

here is another nice photo also
http://images.newcars.com/images/ca...-Minivan-Van-Commercial-Cargo-Van-Photo-1.png

GB2

Old Member
my questions.....
1. On the passenger side (given the small window coverage), would you use perf? I'd say no, in this instance.

I will preface these answers by telling you that I'm in about the same position as you in that I do not specialize in wraps or complicated vehicle graphics but I would not use perf in this case. I would only use perf if it was requested, if it was necessary for visibility or perhaps if it just covered the whole window. If it is an economy job then I definately wouldn't consider the use of perf, convex or any specialty materials.

2. What about the rubber molding? I've seen where others have gone over this rubber molding, and its cracked and peeled (standard vinyl....not print media). Whats the standard practice? If you go over the molding, is there a prep?

I wouldn't go over the rubber usually, however you do need to go over it when you are applying the graphic anyway so you will have the choice of leaving it or removing it when you are done. You can decide what you think at that point.

OldPaint

1st off.........WHY does the graphic have to be that size???
2ndly..........IT IS NOT that important!!!!!!
3rdly........IF YOU did a better DESIGN OF THE TEXT ...........you wouldnt need to compensate with an overgrown, over used...piece of clip art.
NOW THAT SAID.
start over
work with WHAT IS IMPORTANT sign basics 101
WHO, WHERE, WHAT, AND HOW TO CONTACT!!!!!!!!!! this is why he wants the truck lettered.....not so you can take up half of the truck with an "over used" cartoon guy.
redo the text, make it IMPORTANT....down size the guy...........you may find something you didnt know would work.
OH...and for $3-500........why waste YOUR TIME giving him something HE DONT THINK ENOUGH OF....... to pay for good design???

skyhigh

GB2..... Thank you for your post. It only took 15 to get a decent reply.......but it was fun getting there.:Big Laugh

:U Rock:

DesireeM

I'll try to answer your questions (all layout criticism aside because well...I don't judge at the risk of being judged myself) in this case I wouldn't use perf on the window because he should be using his mirrors to back up anyways. I wouldn't put vinyl on the rubber (even with primer 94) because there's no guarantee it will stay on. Just make sure you mask out the molding in your mockup so the customer can see that it goes through the graphics. If he approves it then you have no worries. It may look a bit odd but like you said its a cheap job. He gets his graphics and you get paid.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
The black perimeter around the glass on the passenger side barn doors isn't rubber molding its on the inside of the glass so your fine. Cut and tuck there and don't use perf.

skyhigh

you last 3 posters are correct.....moot point, as there is indeed NO rubber molding.....uggg my bad (my picture looked like the rubber molding anyways).
:thankyou:

Desiree made a good point......Just make sure you mask out the molding in your mockup so the customer can see that it goes through the graphics.
:thumb:
Now.....
Old Paint & Buttwipe...... Why don't you take a minute and show me how you would improve on this "modest", yet what I consider very nice (for the budget) layout. Keep in mind..... only show me how you can improve this layout, and still keep it under $400 (both sides & back door). Granted, this is NOT anything special... but its not garbage either. Its a neat, legible, well worth the money lettering job.
I can hardly wait to see how you do. Put up, or shut up.

Attachments

• butto.jpg
    butto.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 120

OldPaint

your choice of font..SUCKS))))) and in the original post you had that blocked out. the plumbing and electrical looks good......as for me PUTIN UP OR SHUT UP.....iam not going to design a layout for ya.......point was THE CLIP ART WAS NOT THE PRIMARY OBJECT OF THE LAYOUT......you could make it smaller then you wouldnt have to worry bout the window.