• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie Equipment Question

jcarta252

Hello All,

Newbie here in NJ. I'm looking to purchase an all-in-one printer + cutter machine. My research leads me to the Roland TrueVIS SG2 & VG2 series but wanted to see if there are any other recommendations/options for starting out.

A little background about me, I've been painting signs on the side for about 6/7 years and during the day I work as a graphic designer. I currently have a vinyl cutter that has allowed me to offer vinyl signs. I really want to pick up my side gig and turn it into something larger and would like to offer printed wall graphics, die-cut stickers, vehicle graphics, and more.

Would love to hear your recommendations!

Thank you for your time!
J

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Regardless of what you end up buying for a printer/cutter, you'll still need to purchase a laminator, because the type prints you mentioned are pretty much useless without laminate on them. You'll need space for that machine, too.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I agree with all the above. You'll want 3 pieces of equipment.
1. Printer
2. Plotter
3. Laminator - cold press or both

jcarta252

Wow! Thank you all!

Yes, I also did have a laminator in mind as well. Figured I would try to get away with 2 pieces of equipment rather than 3. Really I really appreciate all the feedback! Will keep you posted!

jcarta252

Well if you must have a single unit then your options are limited.
You get more out of a separate cutter than the combo.

For example other popular starter printers to combine with a separate cutter Epson S40600, HP latex 115/315.
any recommendations on a good starter laminator? TY!

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
A GFP laminator would be a good choice and they have both cold laminator and heat assist options. For the printer, I would agree that the Epson S40600 would be a good choice and I would consider a Summa cutter for the contour cutting. The S One D Series would be a solid cutter to get started(good tracking & cutting accuracy, good cutting speed, etc.) but if you want something that can cut a bit more intricate or cut thicker materials then one of the Summa S2 T Series cutters would be worth considering also. We are a long time merchant member here on the site and we offer all of the brands I mentioned as well as the Roland printer cutters, so feel free to reach out if you want to pick my brain on the different options and I would be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

jcarta252

A GFP laminator would be a good choice and they have both cold laminator and heat assist options. For the printer, I would agree that the Epson S40600 would be a good choice and I would consider a Summa cutter for the contour cutting. The S One D Series would be a solid cutter to get started(good tracking & cutting accuracy, good cutting speed, etc.) but if you want something that can cut a bit more intricate or cut thicker materials then one of the Summa S2 T Series cutters would be worth considering also. We are a long time merchant member here on the site and we offer all of the brands I mentioned as well as the Roland printer cutters, so feel free to reach out if you want to pick my brain on the different options and I would be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com
Thanks so much, Phil. I will definitely look into those recommendations and will reach out if I have any further questions!

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I would recommend you buy something used to start, go with something like the Roland VS-300i or 540i, it's a quick and reliable printer/cutter.