• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie question

honda

At the moment I am comparing The Gerber Edge and Summa DC3 as I will be buying secondhand to start with.
Does the Summa use the same process as the Gerber?
I read it used heat transfer with ribbons and the Gerber is foils?
I'm new to this so the technicalities are a bit confusing at the moment!

tanneji

I cant speak for the Summa but I had good luck with the edge. It does a really great job as long as you study its quirks. There is only one spot on the roll considered "HOME" etc. It matters when lining up for print etc. Make sure to use a fair amount of bleed when layering colors. Seriously though it does a beautiful job.

Jim Doggett

The EDGE is ideal for specialty stickers, vis a vis better spot color and media selection. The DC4sx (preferrable to DC3) is better from a production standpoint, way ... and size of course, way, than the EDGE / EDGE II. The integrated print and cut plus auto ribbon-changing on Summa printers eliminates a ton of manual steps.

They're both thermal resin transfer (3-5 yrs, outdoors, sans lamination), but quite different in application. So which is best depends largely on what you'll be printing, for the most part.

Care to explain your appliication?

Best,

B Snyder

honda- "ribbons" and "foils" refer to the same thing. Jim Doggett probably knows more about Summa products than any other person here. If you tell him what you want to do with a printer you can trust his advice.

Jim- I noticed you've landed another position in the industry. Congrats!
I checked out the YelloTools PDF catalog. Lots of neat stuff (it looks A LOT like a Fellers catalog, without all the aggrandizing...), especially the YelloBlade and Speedclips. You could probably sell a million of them over here. Will they be sold here soon?

Jim Doggett

Hey B,

Thanks for the good wishes and the very flattering endorsement. Indeed, I'm back in the game. And our stuff is targeted to be available in the Americas, beginning with ISA in April. The only issue is whether I'll get out of Germany in time for ISA ... much to do here.

But we're working hard to meet the US launch deadlines. So all is on-track.

Thanks again,

Jim

honda- "ribbons" and "foils" refer to the same thing. Jim Doggett probably knows more about Summa products than any other person here. If you tell him what you want to do with a printer you can trust his advice.

Jim- I noticed you've landed another position in the industry. Congrats!
I checked out the YelloTools PDF catalog. Lots of neat stuff (it looks A LOT like a Fellers catalog, without all the aggrandizing...), especially the YelloBlade and Speedclips. You could probably sell a million of them over here. Will they be sold here soon?

Checkers

Oh Gawd Jim, I hope you're going to offer us a better website than this...
http://signmaking-superstore.de/
Although I appreciate another company for embracing the wrap industry the way they did, I did not care for the "gangsta" brand they put forth.
I'm anxious to see what you have coming though.

Checkers

Jim Doggett

Although I appreciate another company for embracing the wrap industry the way they did, I did not care for the "gangsta" brand they put forth.

LOL! You've just nailed the reason I'm spending 6 weeks in Germany :^) You bet; better Web sites and an emphasis on the merit of our tools (award-winning, in fact) is my #1 priority in the US and Europe. The company, products and customer relations is sooooo different than the Web site reflects, even we're saying YUK!

When the US operation launches and catalog / Web overhauls are finished, I think you'll approve ... hope actually ... but my opinion = zip; you'll be the judge. I'll work hard to not disappoint.

Best regards, and thank you for the warning flag. Kudos are great. But contradictions are often more beneficial. Especially insofar as our guiding principle is: There is no end to improvement.

Last edited:

Jim Doggett

Checkers

Hi Checkers,

It's been a busy month, and Germany has more holidays than the Roman Catholic Church, but some progress has been made this month on the Euro Website ... or at least we put some lipstick on it:

German Yellotools Sign Tools site

The US site is in the works; I'll send you a link to the development-site when it's nearer completion. Meanwhile, I thought I'd ask your opinion on changes to the German site.

Thanks,

jscarl

I dealt with Jim back in 91, He made a statement to me and i have never forgot it. "Take a minute to check it over, If you put crap in, you will get crap out." Still using the Summa brand. Congrats Jim on the new job.

Jim Doggett

Hey! Thanks for the flattering words, Jim. How's things in MI? As cold as it is in Germany?

(I am missing my TX sunshine!!!!)

Danke,