• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newing Hall 400 - queries

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Hi Folks,
I've just been given a Newing Hall 400AU, but no software. The owner was a patternmaker who has retired. They used it to engrave names or serial numbers in items he was making patterns for - but when he changed business partners 10 years ago, the old one took the ancient PC, and thereafter he outsourced his text engraving.

The N-H website offers a heap of downloads. I'm just not familiar with which ones I'll need, as far as software goes, and machine drivers.
Someone said they work on DOS, or worked ok on Win 2000!
That's OK, as I use a WinXP pc to drive our ULS M300 laser, and Win7 to run Enroute for our router.

I'm just wondering if someone could explain the basic steps I should follow to try and get it running - or else should I gut the electronics and try & put a new Chinese comntroller or Aussie controller in it, for the exercise?
Looks like N-H steppers on X & Y, and pneumatic Z - up and down.

I'm ok with tinkering - that's how we have our 32 year old router still going, and 20 year old laser, and newer lasers... and I'm about to vonvert a ULS V450 to chinese controllers and tube.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
I'd personally go for the rebuild if you use it at all. The trick you might try first is getting the up down to work with a switch (what wires, what voltage, etc). the steppers should be easy enough to wire to new drivers at $20 each.

Then I would (and just did), buy a AXXB-E controller and software from UCCNC and use that to control it like a cnc. The wires above would then switch with relays. I find UCCNC easy to set up and this controller in particular is an all in one box that should work fine on a simple machine.

I used the AXXB-E to run a hotwire cutter, although I won't even bother with a relay for the hotwire. Way better than the GRBL based controller I got working but was flaky as hell.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Thanks - I believe they offer a modern upgrade - but it might set me back around $10k... which is beyound my priority state...
And the software needs a dongle.

However I'm looking at our laser controller- Ruida 6442C - I have 2 spares, and one of the layer parameters is a Pen option - which has 2 states - pen up and pen down.
I'm thinking that with 2 simple drives, that would be the easiest option.
I know Ruida software - and I design in Corel anyhow, and export into RD Works as AI, and use it as just a driver.

I appreciate the thoughts and help - thanks!

Roger the Mash

Hi I am in the uk and we have a newing hall 400 we run it on an older version of windows than those you have there I am not in work today but will have a look for you to see what we have tommorrow

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Hi I am in the uk and we have a newing hall 400 we run it on an older version of windows than those you have there I am not in work today but will have a look for you to see what we have tommorrow
Thanks a lot.I appreciate that. This one has 3 cartridges - one for Microgramma, one for Roman double line, and one memory cartridge - it's THAT old! but my understanding is you need a dongle for their software, too.

I'm thinking I ought to be able to use my spare Ruida laser controller - I'd just need 2 drives for X & Y and a PSU, and I could configure it ok.

Gene@mpls

Ian we have chatted in the past and I am guessing I mentioned Lightburn software for the Ruida- much better than RDworks IMHO. Our members know a lot about Ruida controllers.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Ian we have chatted in the past and I am guessing I mentioned Lightburn software for the Ruida- much better than RDworks IMHO. Our members know a lot about Ruida controllers.

Thanks, Gene. Yes.
I have Lightburn here also. It is good. I'm very comfortable using RDWorks though, since I design in Corel Draw, and just use LB or RDW as a machine driver, not as a file editor.
I'm not one of these 'I hate RDW' people that you seem to see a few of at times!

Roger the Mash

Photos of our newing hall 400 together with computer photo and operating system and program

Attachments

• 91C71480-456C-4358-A6F2-65DC75753051.jpeg
    91C71480-456C-4358-A6F2-65DC75753051.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 184
  • C955D291-C6C1-4494-ACD3-B46601C1898A.jpeg
    C955D291-C6C1-4494-ACD3-B46601C1898A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 142
  • 480787CB-83C4-44F7-9C8D-A14C66D018F1.jpeg
    480787CB-83C4-44F7-9C8D-A14C66D018F1.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 163
  • EC4C2023-6F58-4FF3-9588-B7C8DEC1E5B5.jpeg
    EC4C2023-6F58-4FF3-9588-B7C8DEC1E5B5.jpeg