• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Noisy carriage motor ( Option to replace bearings ? )

autoexebat

I have a VS 300i and I tore if down thinking the pulley bearing were bad that connects to the scan motor... Turns out the scan motor itself is whats making the noise .

Is there a way to tear is down and replace bearings ? or ......

Do I run it till it can run anymore ? or fork out the 500 bucks for a new one ?

victor bogdanov

I have a VS 300i and I tore if down thinking the pulley bearing were bad that connects to the scan motor... Turns out the scan motor itself is whats making the noise .

Is there a way to tear is down and replace bearings ? or ......

Do I run it till it can run anymore ? or fork out the 500 bucks for a new one ?

I going through the same with my 8 year old vs300, scan motor close to failure and makes very loud noise sometimes. I purchased a replacement motor (about $350) , found a service manual and figured out how to get into service mode so that when the motor fails I'm ready to replace.

Find the service manual and figure out how to get into service mode before your motor fails if you haven't done so yet.

Looking at the motor I'd say it's not easily serviceable and a new one is the way to go

netsol

autoexec

interesting idea. i would reluctantly say no.
i looked at the scan motors in my fj52, sc545ex & my sc500

i think i would be more inclined to replace with a new motor, then rip the old one apart & repair and retain as a spare

30 or 40 years ago, there were probably 7 bearing suppliers local to new brunswick, nj

i hate to break it to you, we are a dying breed. people don't fix things anymore

anyone that knows me will tell you i have very little common sense when it comes to diving into a repair, but my track record has not been great repairing motors

in the 1970's we had a tech who came around weekly to an electronic repair business we had & he would repair motors on the spot.small motors for tape recorders, turntables, etc) he carried a brief case full of bearings, several thousand feet of enamel wire & an assortment of brushes. THOSE DAYS ARE GONE. i miss him.

i recently took a couple conveyor motors belonging to my largest client to a local motor repair house, that we have done business with for over 40 years.
he lectured me about how you could never rebuild a motor as cheaply as you can buy a new one... times change