• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Non-laminated vinyl application problem

contigo

Is it normal that I allways have a problem to install non-laminated vinyl?
Whether it is wet, dry application on glass or dry application on flat wall, vinyl always make wrinkles especially when there is a big contrast on printed graphic (some non-printed white parts and some black or dark parts). Vinyl shrinks on printed parts and this make a big problem. But this is not visible immediately after print but when installing and removing backing paper.
I tried many vinyls, not only cheap ones and it is still the same.
Sometimes I just need to make window or wall wrap which will be there just couple of months and its not necessary to laminate it. But then I have big problem to install it. I don't remember situation when it went easy.
I use Roland eco-solvent printer sp540i
Do you also have such a problems ?

gabagoo

Maybe the ink coverage is too heavy? Do you pre mask it before application? If you dont have the issue with lamination, then I would laminate them to avoid this issue.

visual800

Maybe the ink coverage is too heavy? Do you pre mask it before application? If you dont have the issue with lamination, then I would laminate them to avoid this issue.

Laying down non- laminated prints is aggravating, you gotta premask it. That material is so thin. We usually hold the end up with a metal ruler to keep it taut

rjssigns

We use a Big Squeegee to install unlaminated 4mil prints to flat panels. No issues save for a slight amount of stretch.(less than 3mm over 1.2 meters) Might be worth a shot on glass or walls since it's essentially a flat surface.

I only install air release vinyl on glass though.

Gman75

Non laminated printed vinyl

Yes I agree non laminated printed vinyl
Can be a huge headache when installing.
You can get away with it you're doing it on a table
with wet application or mounting using your laminator.
But on the wall I would strongly recommend either masking it for stability
or not doing very big panels and fold over the backer about a couple of inches
and peel back the backer paper so it helps maintain a straight line as your applying it
pull the backer bit by
bit. . But even then
it can be pain. Good luck.

Well first if you MUST install Unlaminated vinyl, you have got to let it out gas for at least 24 hours on most all vinyls. Those inks will just soften it so much, that it makes it next to impossible to install well. Then after our gassing, install a premask to keep it from stretching and the edges from curling, and you should be fine. If you do a lot of short term, Unlaminated vinyl, I would suggest trying General Formulations concept 222 vinyl. It is super thick, like 6 mils if I remember right, and lays down sooo easy. With the thickness, no air egress is even needed. It lays down great on Coro, glass, or any other flat surface and because of its thickness you really don't even have to premask it. We use it a lot on short term Coro signs. It's very inexpensive as well. Definetely a great choice if you don't want to laminate for short term stuff.

contigo

Thank you very much for all your answers. So if I understand it's not very common to apply non-laminated vinyl, and it is big problem for all to apply it.
So I should start to use premask or consider lamination also for cheap short term applications.

I checked the General Formulations concept 222 vinyl, it looks good but it is not possible to buy it on Slovakia we don't have a big choice here.

I checked also ink coverage, but I have to learn something more about it because, i use the same (roland generic vinyl) printing profile for almost all printable medias, pvc vinyl, banners, one way vision foil, canvas... and it is probably not a good solution

LittleSnakey

We use print-rite vinyl from garston for cheap, short term non-laminated prints.
Its 6mil so it works pretty good without laminate and I have 2 decals on my car that go throught the automatic car wash 3 times a week and still look good after 3 years without lam.

54"x100' is $141
Arlon makes a thick vinyl also but it cost more.
Good luck!

Thank you very much for all your answers. So if I understand it's not very common to apply non-laminated vinyl, and it is big problem for all to apply it.
So I should start to use premask or consider lamination also for cheap short term applications.

I checked the General Formulations concept 222 vinyl, it looks good but it is not possible to buy it on Slovakia we don't have a big choice here.

I checked also ink coverage, but I have to learn something more about it because, i use the same (roland generic vinyl) printing profile for almost all printable medias, pvc vinyl, banners, one way vision foil, canvas... and it is probably not a good solution