• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nos 1 shot..........

OldPaint

spent some money today for PAINT...hard to come by stuff.........

Attachments

• moon 023.jpg
    moon 023.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 89
  • moon 024.jpg
    moon 024.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 71

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Thirty years ago any good sign supply would have two eight foot length pallet racks full of One Shot.

Now most just have a rickety 4' metal shelf!

Jillbeans

I use Ronan now.
1-S Bright red turns the color and texture of a brick after two years.
The black is really iffy too.
I checked the label but can't see any mention of lead, now that was when 1S was king.
I can get either brand quite easily from local suppliers any day of the week.
Love....Jill

steve b

I bought a bunch of 1shot just a few days ago.......Damn it's not cheap!!!!!!!!, But I'm sure having fun with it....mixing my own colors and experimenting with making it transparent.. Nice stuff so far!

steveb

Billct2

Mixing colors with 1shot was always an adventure, it doen't always follow the logical course...we used to use a mxing technique we call "sneaking up on the color" and if you went a little too far you had another cup of "baby poop brown" to add to the container of paint used for painting sign backs and posts.
Of course when you did nail the color you wanted just try to replicate it again!

Custom Bob

Jill, they took the lead out a few years back and since then it's been a nightmare.
I still do a lot of pinstriping and hand lettering. I add automotive hardener to the 1 Shot to help it live a little longer.
I do a lot of touch up on painted pinstripes for body shops. I have yet to never match a color. I enjoy the challenge.
Billct2 I always called that color "Babies First Summer" or "Septic Sirese".

Patrick46

I do a lot of touch up on painted pinstripes for body shops. I enjoy the challenge.

I do the same thing here too.
As for the red, I was told that right after the big switch to lead-free paint, that they had some big problems with durability, gloss, & fading (like Jill and everyone else had experienced)...especially with the reds. Apparently, there was a big batch of 1S red that was bad from the start, but has now been fixed, and the red is better again...(apparently this really hurt their business) But we all sure miss the lead.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Chrome Yellow....Purple........OH NO, not another Old Paint shop truck!

I think he's gonna paint up some Easter Eggs for the upcoming Easter Egg Hunt in his community.

He paints the eggs with the lead paint and then hides the little things all over his property. When the kids come looking for their eggs he jumps out in his 'Speedo' Bunny suit and scares the little bastards off crying and scarred for life.... especially that burnt image on their retinas and brain of him in that outfit.

OP rabbit ears.jpg

artsnletters

How can you tell?
old stuff says contains LEAD right on the label...i guess if you have kids licking your signs it was a bad thing....

.......this was OLD STOCK, still leaded......

i couldn't see the lead on the label....that was my next question....some of my smarter friends in the old school sign biz bought gallons & gallons of leaded paint before it was D/C'ed. They have broken much of it down into smaller containers for use. One fellow sign guy owned his own sign supply co....he bought tons at wholesale and rat holed it. Me i wasn't that rich...at least those leaded colors will last a while, unlike Maroon, Fire Red, Purple, Med Brown..and the list goes on...there isn't anything else (really) to use for hand lettering besides it so what you gonna do?
Tim

Jillbeans

Looks like a regular label to me too.
The old ones did have a lead warning.
Not sure about the can of Chromatic, that does look older.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I bought out quite a few suppliers inventory some years ago.

We have cases of 1 Shot with lead.

1 shot lead labels.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wish you weren't on the OTHER side of the country. My shipping costs would kill me on this.

If someone needed a color I had plenty of, I would help. Although we're a Merchant Member.... it's not for selling this sort of stuff.

I just wanted to set that straight, so people don't call us for paint. I'm not set up to sell those sort of goods. Besides, we use a lot of it. I personally don't paint near as much as I used to, but some others here still do.

:thankyou: