• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nothing Hits You In THe Eye Like ...

The Hobbyist

Many years ago, I was living in Oceanside, California, only yards from the ocean, and working for Federal Sign. On my street was a small sign shop run by one guy. He was nice enough, but I could tell that he didn't have a very good education.

So I was walking down the street and I happened to peek into his shop as I passed by the open door. There, hanging on several 2x4s was a LONG banner four-feet tall that he was hand painting.

It must have been my Catholic school education. It hit me immediately, but I didn't want to offend him.

I asked, "So when is this banner due for delivery?" He said he was already late but wanted to get it to the customer very soon. He worked all night, carefully painting the TEXT of the sign, and the logo. Oh, it was an impressive banner! Several colors, big, and bold!

So I said, "Well, how easy is it to remove that paint from the vinyl?"

He replied, "Not easy at all, but why would I want to do that?"

I said, "Um, I don't want to ruin your day, but the sign is spelled wrong."

He scowled at me. "What are you talking about? I got it written down here right on this paper!

'P-A-N-C-A-K-E B-R-A-K-E-F-A-S-T S-P-A-C-I-A-L!'

Nothing hits you in the eye, like a misspelled sign!

player

I hate that so called "joke" everyone always makes when there is nothing spelled wrong- "You spelled that word wrong!" Always gets me a major stress jolt through my entire body. Not funny.

J Hill Designs

I hate that so called "joke" everyone always makes when there is nothing spelled wrong- "You spelled that word wrong!" Always gets me a major stress jolt through my entire body. Not funny.

same. I always laugh it off "haha good one" but then silently pour over the pattern double and triple checking

The Hobbyist

I asked him if he could cut the banner, rearrange the letters from "AKE to "EAK" and sew in a patch for the "E" in "Special", but he seemed to go off into a zone the moment I pointed out the error. I guess he was counting on selling the banner to pay his rent or something. I felt so bad for him, but what could I do to change it? Nothing.

The Hobbyist

Yep! nothing will cause your heart to skip a beat like that "joke." :banghead:

The Hobbyist

Has or has this not same scenario happened to you ??

Not that error, but something similar. It involved putting all of the vinyl on a large banner, only to discover AFTER it was all done that the heavy nylon sewn-in support strap at the top of the banner to help prevent sagging was actually on the BOTTOM of the banner. They hung it on the fence. The bottom was straight and tight. The top sagged like an old dish rag. It was pitiful!

Kottwitz-Graphics

And my go to response is always "At least it's right side up. Correct spelling costs extra. "

I know spelling was always my hardest subject in school, so I over compensate by double checking everything.

Something I had happen late last week. I got a list of sponsors for a.lot of golf signs I am doing today. Funny thing is I found a misspelled word on the list...actually corel's spell check caught it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yep! nothing will cause your heart to skip a beat like that "joke." :banghead:

Perhaps not to you, but every hand painter...... and I mean EVERY hand painter has had this same scenario happen to him/her. It happens out in the field, at you easel or on a truck. One of my earliest was doing a 2 sided 8 ' × 12' sign and I was getting near the bottom and painting in 'special' and someone pulled up at the curb, went pssst....... I finally looked over and they whispered..... you spelled the word special wrong. I looked at it and said, I know. He wanted it that way. Every customer who comes in gets a discount on their order if they tell him about it. They winked and said, good idea. When they left, I wiped it off and made it correct. Luckily, the other side was done, yet.

rmaclucy

Years ago at a different shop I was at, we made a 3'x15' lighted cabinet sign.
Our boss designed it. I plotted the mask. Graphic girl applied the mask. The painter painted it.
The installers put it up on top of the store roof.
Not one of us noticed it said "JEWELERY" until the owner of the store called.
We blamed the boss on this one.

Craig Sjoquist

My worst was A 8 FT x 12 FT double sided back lighted pylon sign for a Ford dealer here with lots of colors, outlines & shades oh it was beautiful & I was very proud doing my very best to get it right, was on time had all my ducks in a row, & was about to install in can.
This was when you spray painted the back side in reverse, vinyl was still very new, Gerber 4b was a hot item.

Called the people out to marvel at this beauty as we all looked noticing both panels were not only backwards but commercial was missing a M....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh $800.00 later & redo I installed signs