• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

oh man another n00b with a q

castek

Hey guys,

My names John, i live in Australia.

just bought a creation pcut ct630... not a bad plotter from what i know, but then again that isnt much.

i have a quick question though.

i cut out a design onto the white vinyl (respect brand) and then pick off the bits that i dont need (ie: leave the letters there). i then cut a piece of adhesive (plato brand) and put that over the lot and trim to size.

the problem i have is the letters/vinyl isnt sticking to the adhesive when i peel it off to apply to my car. i have to manually peel off the vinyl so it sticks onto the adhesive.

any tips? its not that humid where i am and i put a fair bit of pressure on it when i apply it

all tips are greatly appreciated

John

Valentino

use a squeege after putting the transfer tape on the graphic. pass over it a few times with firm pressure.

when peeling, peel the silicone backing paper away from the transfer tape.

im sure some other will chime in.

castek

i think maybe i am using it too quick after making it. maybe it needs some time to "bond"

i'll cut one up later and see how i go

tamiya

either your china vinyl is too sticky to the backing or your china transfer tape isn't tacky enough... suggest trying different brands?

don't know where you buy your supplies from, but imho some of those china materials have taken the slow boat from, umm, China :rolleyes: they've have spent months on the water on a sunbaked ship's deck, then months inside a container at a sundrenched port facility, then probably a few months more in a tinshed local distribution warehouse.... all that HEAT = the adhesive probably past its prime.

The only "yumcha" i want to worry about, is what i'm having for Lunch!! :wink:

Samm

That respect vinyl is s**t!! I got a few free rolls from somewhere, won't even use it for graphics which need to last 5 minutes.

Carl Crabtree

Try a higher tac transfer tape or try turning it over and squeeging from the back side, then pull the backing sheet away while it's still upside down.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There are hundreds of sign supply distributors in Australia. Check your local phone book.

Materials aside, and considering your evident lack of experience, I would submit that there are lots of things you could be doing incorrectly which, coupled with confusion, might account for your problems. One was suggested previously:

Are you squeegeeing the transfer paper to the weeded letters or just laying it on top?

Do you have a squeegee?

On a more technical note, it is possible that your blade is set to cut too deeply and is piercing the release liner. When that happens the adhesive on the vinyl can form a much greater bond to the raw fibers of the release liner. to check it, look at the release liner where a cutline appears. It should be just a slight dent in the liner with no tears or cut through areas.

Here's a link
to a basic vinyl video. Look it over and see if it helps provide a solution for you.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Australia is the same size as the USA in mass but not population.:cool: These newbies need to give a little more info when they join up.

His private information indicates that he is in a major city in Oz. He simply doesn't realize that what he wants is stocked locally by any number of suppliers where he could also get some face to face help.

guido.gif
The internet is a two edged sword.

castek

i didnt know aus was that big either hhehe...
sorry i'm in melbourne. i'd like to try and find somewhere i can buy from an actual shop rather than online. i'll use the phonebook.

i'll reduce the pressure and see how that goes.

i have ordered a squegee, just waiting for it to arive, atm i'm using a credit card, since the vinyls i am making are only small

thanks for the vid

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Squeegees are designed to apply 10 to 15 pounds of force. I doubt a credit card will do as well and this was probably the biggest reason for your difficulties.

Dave Drane

Okay in Melbourne you have,
1. Bi-Wize, Thomastown, Ph 9465 1233
2. Supply One (highly reccomended) Ph 1300 134 101
3. Halifax Vogel www.halifaxvogel.com.au

All are good reliable companies. And yes, have a look at an atlas and you will see just how big Australia is, shame that most of it is desert though.g

Samm

Okay in Melbourne you have,
1. Bi-Wize, Thomastown, Ph 9465 1233
2. Supply One (highly reccomended) Ph 1300 134 101
3. Halifax Vogel www.halifaxvogel.com.au

All are good reliable companies. And yes, have a look at an atlas and you will see just how big Australia is, shame that most of it is desert though.g

A majority of which is jammed in my state :Australia