• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Ok, what's going on

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Has anyone else noticed that there is some spam bot running rampant on the forum - posting the same message with back links - BUT it's not new members who just joined to do that. It's older members who are just inactive. What's happening? Have all the dormant accounts been hacked?

Boudica

What about these spam posts "by" older members? It's like their profile/account has been hacked.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Seems to me to be like the spam telephone calls I've been getting herealate. I've had phone numbers come in and I recognized the numbers as customers or friends and turns out to be some guy or girl on the other end with a heavy accent trying to bamboozle me. In the last year or two, I've had people call me and ask what was I up to ?? Huh ?? Whaddaya mean ?? They tell me I called and was scamming them. I told them I was sorry, but I didn't make the call. Somehow, these little b@st@rds can grab your phone number and pretend to be you placing the call. I imagine, they've figured out how to do it with avatars and e-mail addresses. I'm gonna start hiding my phone number and placing take out orders for pizzas and other take out food and having it delivered to someone else's house.

Jester

Slow is Fast
We have an IP phone system at work. It's a cloud system. As the owner we have a dashboard where we set everything up. I discovered we can set the caller ID shown for each of our physical lines to anything we want. We set them all to our main number, so no matter which line we call out on, the recipient sees the main company number.
This is a spammer's dream come true, as they can (ab)use it to spoof other numbers which aren't their own.

Boudica

https://t.me/pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram
Make 1000% and more within 1 day, join channel @pump_upp !
This is what I was talking about - Kurse has been a member since 2018 - they had some legit posts but haven't been on the forum since 2019 - now they have two posts with the exact same spam that's been posted over and over by multiple members who used to be legitimate contributors.
I understand what you all are talking about with the phone calls, but how in the heck can a member be "spoofed" from within the forum. Is the spammer able to get into their accounts because they haven't been active since the upgrade?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
There is at least two options.

Either the forum was hacked and they have accounts and passwords.

Or someone is accessing those accounts with passwords leaked elsewhere. There's websites where you can check if your info has leaked out.

Either way, change your password people.
And enable 2FA.

Last edited:

Boudica

So, before the upgrade, I could only log into this account from my work computer - because I couldn't remember my password. After the site upgrade, my password auto filled and I changed it, so now I can log in where ever. I'm wondering if the memberships who haven't logged in since the upgrade, may be "open" to anyone savvy enough to figure that out, and that's what's happening. I have noticed that when these spams posts are showing up under an established or old memberships, they haven't been active since before the upgrade.

Boudica

Hmmm, it seemed that members that had never posted, or haven't posted in a very long time were getting hacked. Now we have super active members getting hacked?
what happened to JBurton ?

Johnny Best

Hmmm, it seemed that members that had never posted, or haven't posted in a very long time were getting hacked. Now we have super active members getting hacked?
what happened to JBurton ?
JBurton ran off to Vegas with the fat chick who sold fried catfish at the gas station.

Signs101Admin

Owner
Staff member
There is at least two options.

Either the forum was hacked and they have accounts and passwords.

Or someone is accessing those accounts with passwords leaked elsewhere. There's websites where you can check if your info has leaked out.

Either way, change your password people.
And enable 2FA.
The site was NOT HACKED.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
CTXP-Dumb-and-Dumber-HERO.jpg