• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Okay, I think I have a winner here..................................................................................

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
There are threads and conversations going on all the time at some moment here on s101 about customers and their horrible artwork, timeframes and cost issues. I think this one takes the cake. It hits all of them.

Lady e-mailed yesterday late morning about needing a sign by early tomorrow (which is now today). I answered back after about 7 minutes what I could do for her at the sizes she requested. 2 hours later, she replied, too much money. We need to get it lower. I wrote back and told her all of her options, but at that size most of them will be flimsy and probably fall off the easel. About 1.5 hours later she responded again and I told her, she's running outta time. Got an e-mail last night at 7:30 with more questions. Didn't answer those. E-mailed her this morning with her options again.... and said, besides it's already getting past your deadline. She said, we have til tomorrow afternoon. So, she sent a new file and I didn't have about 9 of the fonts and they got substituted. Then she said, the artwork is set 25.5 x 33, close to 2.5' with a .125 crop. So, I calmly told her that her sizes are all messed up, that in her original request she was asking for a job 36" x 59". I still don't have the correct artwork.

There should be a Sign Guild Firing Squad for hire.
Stupid people hunting season….

Had a call on Wednesday afternoon for a project involving 4 retractable banner stands, 4 sail/feather banners and some coro signs. All needed to arrive by Friday for a show (today)……

IN CANADA!!!!!!

SMH!!!!

I laterally laughed at my client and ask “are you f..king kidding me right?”

Signarama Jockey

I don't think that giving people tax money for private school in lieu of the school system is a good idea though for a few reasons. One is obvious, it will take money away from an already broke school system which will make it even harder to do one on ones, reduce class sizes etc. Another is that it's not fair to the taxpayers without children. As it is now, everyone regardless of status has to pay into the school system and all other public entities that exist for the betterment of society. It's akin to not having to pay into the police if you own a gun.
For me, the principle of 'don't take money away from people against their will' trumps the public education system, that (as has been said before) costs too much and does not provide results. If a parent pulls their money out of a school because it is underperforming, that is a market signal for them to do better. Just like a private business that sells a crappy product, if customers don't like what you are selling, then they will stop buying it. Right now, schools are legally protected from any liability for being garbage. If your kid stops going to school, the cops will show up at your door. If you stop paying the taxes that fund the school, the cops show up at your door. They can be as awful and neglectful of your kids as they want, and you as a taxpayer are forced to pay for it - that's awful.

Parents would not pull their kids out of good schools.

...and I don't think that people without children should have to pay for other people's children's education.

When you pull funding to send the kid's who's family's have the time to shuttle them to it versus putting them on a bus, you are creating an opportunity for even more inequality in education because it defunds the public system. If you have the money to pay for private school, use you dime, not my tax dollars - it is straight up greed and not caring about the betterment of the society.
So be it.
1 eDDKpTr91dfhicFt2YJxRw.jpg

The schools aren't being frivolous with money, it's just expensive because of all the support staff and the infrastructure needed. I worked for the local school board a long time ago, they were tighter than a gnats ass when it came to spending. Everything would be beyond wore out before it was replaced. All maintenance is in house which is cheaper. Transportation is in house which is cheaper.
I also don't think you'd get 100% back either. I'm not totally sure but I don't believe the federal dollars could be used that way by the states, it'd be a misappropriation of funds. Local and state taxes would probably be it.
When I was younger, I thought that being a good person was all about intent. If you went from moment to moment without evil intent, without wanting to hurt other people or infringe on their rights, then anything bad that came about from your actions was not your fault, because you did not have mens rea. But, as I've gotten older, I see that the real measure of whether you are doing right or wrong is the result. For instance, there are stray cats where I live, and they are malnourished. This undernourishment is suffering. Some of my neighbors have good hearts and they feed the stray cats. This gives the cats enough energy to have more cats. Now, there are even more stray malnourished cats and more suffering. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

However tight the schools are with money, and however pure their intentions, the results are the bottom line. One in five high school graduates are illiterate. "just 37% of 12th-graders reached or exceeded the academic preparedness benchmarks for both math and reading that would qualify them for entry-level college courses", "About 41% of fourth graders and 34% of eighth graders scored proficient in math in 2019".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For me, the principle of 'don't take money away from people against their will' trumps the public education system, that (as has been said before) costs too much and does not provide results. If a parent pulls their money out of a school because it is underperforming, that is a market signal for them to do better. Just like a private business that sells a crappy product, if customers don't like what you are selling, then they will stop buying it. Right now, schools are legally protected from any liability for being garbage. If your kid stops going to school, the cops will show up at your door. If you stop paying the taxes that fund the school, the cops show up at your door. They can be as awful and neglectful of your kids as they want, and you as a taxpayer are forced to pay for it - that's awful.

...and I don't think that people without children should have to pay for other people's children's education.

So be it.

When I was younger, I thought that being a good person was all about intent. If you went from moment to moment without evil intent, without wanting to hurt other people or infringe on their rights, then anything bad that came about from your actions was not your fault, because you did not have mens rea. But, as I've gotten older, I see that the real measure of whether you are doing right or wrong is the result. For instance, there are stray cats where I live, and they are malnourished. This undernourishment is suffering. Some of my neighbors have good hearts and they feed the stray cats. This gives the cats enough energy to have more cats. Now, there are even more stray malnourished cats and more suffering. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

However tight the schools are with money, and however pure their intentions, the results are the bottom line. One in five high school graduates are illiterate. "just 37% of 12th-graders reached or exceeded the academic preparedness benchmarks for both math and reading that would qualify them for entry-level college courses", "About 41% of fourth graders and 34% of eighth graders scored proficient in math in 2019".

So, if you're children have graduated or you have none, you shouldn't pay ?? You are simply putting into the pot towards a good sound future for you, your family and your country. I can see a discounted amount, but I wanna see something for my contributions.

As for the kids not doing well according to what IS expected of kids today...... do you think not feeding them, like the cats will solve that problem ??

Signarama Jockey

So, if you're children have graduated or you have none, you shouldn't pay ?? You are simply putting into the pot towards a good sound future for you, your family and your country. I can see a discounted amount, but I wanna see something for my contributions.
Yes. If I you don't have children or if your kids have already graduated, you should not pay any money towards those schools. Just like if you cancel your Amazon Prime, you should not be forced to continue to pay for the good of the people who still use it.

As for the kids not doing well according to what IS expected of kids today...... do you think not feeding them, like the cats will solve that problem ??
My point was that good intentions do not equal good results. Pouring money into a failed solution won't make it a better solution. I think we need to try something different.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

So be it.

This gets better and better. So you have no kids or kids that are in school or graduated but somehow you have this expert knowledge that schools are failing. Since you feel this way then it must be true? You just sound like the rest of the noise I hear coming from people with a chapped ass.
I don't drive on all of the Interstates so why am I paying? I don't ride the bus so why aren't I exempted. I don't go to the beach so why do I have to pay into maintaining it? My house never caught on fire, so I should get my money that went to the fire dept too. Never been in an ambulance, give that back too. I'm not retired so why do they keep taking social security out of my check and give it to those who are? I'm not on welfare nor food stamps so nix that off my taxes too. Not fair! Wahh! Now you got me to understand

Notarealsignguy

So be it.

Just curious, if you think with no basis that $14k is too much then what should the cost per head be? Why? Show your work so we can all understand how a sign guy knows more than the people that are actually tasked with budgeting.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'm wondering where these "statistics" are coming from. I have a child in school, and I know that 1 out of 5 illiterate students is just not true. Maybe 1 out of 300. Maybe. Without testing the kids myself and conducting my own study. I think someone is falling for "statistics" from some biased source who's agenda is to rile up people who resent paying taxes of any kind, and point the finger at what is typically a "liberal" institution to make all of the worlds problems their fault.

Notarealsignguy

I'm wondering where these "statistics" are coming from. I have a child in school, and I know that 1 out of 5 illiterate students is just not true. Maybe 1 out of 300. Maybe. Without testing the kids myself and conducting my own study. I think someone is falling for "statistics" from some biased source who's agenda is to rile up people who resent paying taxes of any kind, and point the finger at what is typically a "liberal" institution to make all of the worlds problems their fault.
Private schools are chomping at the bit to get that sweet government money. They, like many other industries ahem...... electric cars, will really twist some stuff up to paint the picture of why they deserve free money. The private hospital system is doing a fantastic job, couldn't be any better so why not move on to schools next?

JBurton

Signtologist
What if parents could take that 14k and instead pay a private school? Wouldn't that be better?
Arkansas is starting that this school year, so we'll see in the next 6 months how it's turned out. Only problem I have is that it isn't income based, so basically all it's doing is paying the folks who already send their kids to private school, which are, surprise, doing just fine already.

Signarama Jockey

This gets better and better. So you have no kids or kids that are in school or graduated but somehow you have this expert knowledge that schools are failing.
It's not expert knowledge. I am simply reading the statistics provided by credible sources and making an assessment.

Since you feel this way then it must be true?
Since I have the statistics, I feel confident in my assessment. It is not about feeling anything; it is about looking at data and coming to a conclusion.
I don't drive on all of the Interstates so why am I paying? I don't ride the bus so why aren't I exempted. I don't go to the beach so why do I have to pay into maintaining it? My house never caught on fire, so I should get my money that went to the fire dept too. Never been in an ambulance, give that back too. I'm not retired so why do they keep taking social security out of my check and give it to those who are? I'm not on welfare nor food stamps so nix that off my taxes too. Not fair! Wahh! Now you got me to understand
Honestly, this is the ultimate distinction. Should you be forced (under threat of violence or imprisonment) to pay for things that you did not agree to pay for, had no say in and do not benefit from? Regardless of your assessment of how needed it is or how much good the money will do, do you have the right to take from some to give to others? Do I have the right to take money out of your bank account and give it to the poor? Do you have the right to decline to donate to a charity, or can they just take the money they need straight out of your wallet? Is there a limit to how much money they can appropriate? Can they take it all and make you work for free? But, what if that money will go to a really really really good cause?

I do not believe that it is right to take people's property without their consent.

Just curious, if you think with no basis that $14k is too much then what should the cost per head be? Why? Show your work so we can all understand how a sign guy knows more than the people that are actually tasked with budgeting.
That is a decision to be made between parents and whatever educators they choose to hire. I don't believe that any third party should decide what a price 'should be'. Let the market figure it out.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just wait til they figure out a way to somehow make this an eminent domain kinda deal.

Notarealsignguy

I do not believe that it is right to take people's property without their consent.

That is a decision to be made between parents and whatever educators they choose to hire. I don't believe that any third party should decide what a price 'should be'. Let the market figure it out.
The market has decided, pay is the #1 reason that they are having a difficult time retaining educators and finding new people that want to enter the field. They have also been saying for years that the lack of funding hurts educational outcomes this is from lack of funding for specific teaching needs like gifted, music, tshop classes etc etc. Your statistics back this up as well. So maybe it would be a good idea to listen to what the people who have devoted their careers to schooling, went to college for education, went on to get Masters and Phd's in their field or in child development, the business minds behind education on the administrative side, the federal dept of education and so on. They ALL say funding yet you people conveniently ignore this and spout off stats with no discussion on causality.
You should consider learning advanced statistics and analysis before you start preaching about them as if they are the gospel because it clearly shows your lack of grasp of the subject matter. I am also still waiting for these "I, I, me, me" people to explain just how society would work with no taxes to pay for infrastructure, policing, fire, medical research and the like. It's simple mindedness and greed to only care about yourself and what you have.

Notarealsignguy

Lets do another analogy. You have a revenue issue at the ole' signarama so the master minds decide to spend a small amount on advertising every month but business is still slow. So you up it a hair and it slows down more. So it's obvious that you should stop spending anything on advertising right? Cuz that's what people do when business slows down and you just proved what happens when you advertise more.
One more lesson in statistics. Crime and ice cream sales are directly correlated. When one goes up, so does the other and this is real. So is the answer to stop selling ice cream? It's also obvious that ice cream causes crime right?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Honestly, this is the ultimate distinction. Should you be forced (under threat of violence or imprisonment) to pay for things that you did not agree to pay for, had no say in and do not benefit from? Regardless of your assessment of how needed it is or how much good the money will do, do you have the right to take from some to give to others? Do I have the right to take money out of your bank account and give it to the poor? Do you have the right to decline to donate to a charity, or can they just take the money they need straight out of your wallet? Is there a limit to how much money they can appropriate? Can they take it all and make you work for free? But, what if that money will go to a really really really good cause?

Not sounding rude or anything, but those are the rules of this country. There are 194 others out there. People make the decision everyday this isn't the right place for them. Really if you are complaining about it and feel so strongly, you're the only one to blame for not changing your situation.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Full Stop, not true, those have been around forever! Diabetes is what, 100 years old? Get outta here!
/s
Whoa nellie.......................................... where'd ya get them thar stats, pardner ??