• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old Landlord says I must pay new tenants bills......

Fanaticus

My wife and I bought a house. We were living in an apartment.

Our lease stated that we need to give a 60 day notice if we were moving and that we could only move when the lease expired.

Our lease was set to expire next June.

We wrote a note to the landlords asking to be released early, and it was received by them 58 days before the date we requested to be our last, October 31st. And I paid rent up to October 31st.

They said OK, BUT.... you are responsible for the utility bills and rent until we get someone new in here. Which we agreed with.

We offered to pay for their advertising as well. They said "No, we'll take care of that".

We cleaned the apartment to be SPOTLESS (I spent 5 hours scrubbing just the oven until it looked new).... so that we could get it as rent ready as possible. Cleaned the carpet, scrubbed the walls, cleaned the window blinds, air vents, cabinets.... the place was spotless. If it could get dirty, we cleaned it.

Now, they found a new renter quickly. The landlords told us they were moving in November 1st.

We drive by the apartment almost every day and watched as people moved in on Saturday, Oct. 22nd. On the 23rd they were done moving in, had a satelite dish set up. The blinds were open and we could plainly see that they were, in fact, set up and living there. TV on, lights on, etc etc.

I call the landlord and calmly tell him that I am concerned that new people are living there earlier than stated and that I am paying for their utility bills.

He tells me, in a very stern voice, and I quote, "You should be GRACIOUS that we found a renter so quickly, YOU broke your lease, YOU did not give us full notice, you should be extremely gracious".

I replied that I am gracious, and very thankful that everything has worked out the way it has, but I am still concerned that I am paying the new tenants bills.....

To which he replied "Listen here, young man, you broke your lease and we could have held you responsible for the full term, you should be gracious for what we've done for you. You SHOULD GET DOWN ON YOUR KNEES and BOW TO GOD in THANKFULNESS that we found a new renter......

To which I said, I am very thankful and appreciative and I thank God everyday for the gifts he bestows upon my family and I, but I'm concerned that I am paying for the new renters gas, electric, and water bills..... I don't have a problem paying for an empty apartment, but I don't understand why I am paying the bills for new renters.............

Then he went on and on about that should be the least of my worries, that I should be gracious and thank God that everything turned out the way it has....... For about 15 minutes I listened to him go on and on telling me how to be gracious to God and how to praise God....

Then it started to dawn on me that he wasn't really meaning God, but was using God to refer to himself. And that my concern of paying the new tenants bills wasn't even being addressed, but instead I should be gracious and thankful that they found new renters so soon....

He said they could have put a judgement on me in small claims court (even though I paid my rent on time, every time, and was current on rent and was planning on paying rent and bills until a new renter was there even if it didn't happen until June).... he said "then you wouldn't have gotten your house because nobody would give you a mortgage... You should be GRACIOUS and Praise God!"

At that point I had enough and said "Do you want me to Suck your D*** too, Gene? You're pro-rating the new tenants for the 10 days they're living there this month while I've already paid rent to the end of the month, I'm not paying their bills too".

As I took the phone away from my ear I could hear him talking very angrily, but I hung up instead of entertaining it any longer. Then I called the gas/electric company and the water/sewer company and scheduled meter readings and final bills to be sent.

During our conversation he also mentioned that we did not do an adequate job of cleaning and that they had to do extensive cleaning before the new renters came in....... But, I was IN the apartment on Friday, the 21st to drop off the keys and garage door opener and they had done nothing more to clean it. They put down a new $10 runner carpet in the laundry room and a new $10 area carpet in the garage to replace the old ones and had repainted a small portion of the garage floor. Nothing else had been done. We (my wife and I) literally spent the last 2 months we were there scrubbing until it was spotless. We literally had everything we owned packed up and in the garage the last month we were there and slept on the floor of the living room so we would have empty rooms to clean and not get them messy once they were clean.

His cleaning comment was strange, because our neighbors had been talking to them previously and the landlords mentions to them how well we had cleaned, that the apartment was "Immaculate". That Barb, his wife, came to clean the oven and didn't have to because it was spotless. That they thought they were going to have to paint, but don't because Mike (me) cleaned the walls so well. Yet, he tells me it was inadequate.

On the phone he was rambling on and on about how much effort they put into getting a new renter and how much it cost them..... we offered to pay for advertising and he declined. All he did was put a "For Rent" sign in the yard, which only had his phone number on one side of it. People were knocking on our door asking about the apartment because they didn't see the other side of the sign with his number on it.

They had 3 people look at it before finding a renter, and we really believe the first 2 didn't exist but were just the landlords going in to see what we were doing and how the place looked. Not to mention that even though we were technically still renting, they never gave us any notice of entry during the entire month of October. They came and went as they pleased, noticible only by the footprints in the carpet that I shampooed and scrubbed to perfection... and vacuumed after every time I came back to finish cleaning so there were no footprints when I left and it would leave that cool "just cleaned" sawtooth pattern in the carpet.

I really don't know what his problem is. Maybe it's because we lived there for 2.5 years and paid rent 3 months at a whack ($1800 every 3 months). And notified them of everything that went wrong while we lived there, which they never fixed. We even pulled weeds from the "landscaping", when the lease states that they would take care of that (which they never did unless a unit was empty and they were going to show it, then they only weeded what the new tentant would be able to see).

Wow, I could go on and on. I guess his response just really took me by surprise, I really wasn't expecting that from him.

Oh well. It's done now. Well, I suppose I should call the energy and water companies to make sure my name is off the bills now, in case he tried to put me back on them since, evidently, I'm not Gracious enough to pay the new tenants bills for them.

F- You Gene! I don't care if you were an Army drill instructor back in the day! Your belittling and intimidation tactics aren't enough to make me pay the new tenants bills! A55hole! It makes sense, now, why your wife stops talking when you're around and that shrewed look in your eye that I couldn't quite place..... you're an angry little man with a God complex. Go f-urself.

Rydaddy

I have been involved on both ends of this fiasco. As a tennant and a landlord. I think in a court of law you would win. But you would have to spend the money to get there. Regardless it sucks. Right now in this economy Landlords are bending over backward to get people to sign a lease. But if there is any grey area they may try and keep your cash. If you live in a city/county/township where all rental housing is certified by the City, I would contact the housing dept. They may tell you they can't help you but it is a free phone call and worth a shot.

In a court of law it will all come down to what it says in the lease.

Last edited:

Pat Whatley

You did the right thing, just get the utilities turned off, accept whatever the bills are that the current tenants have run up in week as your penalty for gettting out of the lease, and go on with life in your new house!

gnemmas

Pay the prorated utility bills to the end of October as your rent is. Be happy he find a new tenant so fast that you are not liable for the rest of lease term.

You did propose to pay the advertising cost for the new tenant which probably could cover the added small utility bill.

Take a step back, take a deep breath. Life is good to you to bother by this petty sum.

Fanaticus

Another thing too. It was 5 or 6 months ago when I told him we had begun looking for a house to buy and right away he offered to sell me the apartment building and gave me a big sales pitch about how great it would be to own a duplex and live in one side while renting out the other. I thanked him for the offer, but said we'd really like to have a detached single family home since we're quickly running out of space here.

Thinking back, ever since then, he stopped being so friendly with me. But, of course, the old man (late 60's early 70's) was always a little overly friendly with my wife (24)... more so when I wasn't around.

Fanaticus

Pay the prorated utility bills to the end of October as your rent is. Be happy he find a new tenant so fast that you are not liable for the rest of lease term.

You did propose to pay the advertising cost for the new tenant which probably could cover the added small utility bill.

Take a step back, take a deep breath. Life is good to you to bother by this petty sum.

Because these new tenants could have the heat cranked up to 80 and leave all the lights and TV on all day long and take 6 showers a day.

My rent was not pro-rated. I paid full amount for October.

Paying someone else's bills was not part of the agreement. Had this been discussed with me prior, I may not have minded so much and been willing to. But it was not discussed, was not part of the agreement, and his reaction to my concern (after being lied to about when the new tentants would be moving in), telling me how to worship God........ is enough that I would be more willing to spend the $5,000 I set aside, to cover the rest of the lease if no renters came, in court if it comes to it just to make a point and show him what a real pain in the a55 I can be.

Fanaticus

Like Pat said, call the utility co NOW to turn it off. It is only 4 days since Oct 23.

I called monday night. Both said they could read the meters on Tuesday and send me the final bill. I should call back to see if it's been done.

ucmj22

I would say take it on the chin and move on, save for one thing. in Wisconsin, If he withholds your security deposit he must give you written notice within 21 days of termination of the lease detaling the reasons he is witholding and how much he is witholding. If he does not do this you can take him to court, and he will have to give it all to you plus 100% more for wrongfully witholding the money. If he does give you notice within 21 days, you can still dispute it in court where he will have to show proof of money or time spent requiring the witholding. If the judge simply disagrees you will get your money back, If your landlord is found to be deceptive, or falsifies records the judge can award the 100% extra repayment. Good luck.

Fanaticus

Just think...YOU OWN YOUR HOME! You never have to deal w/ this crap again after this!

That's the best part of it all. Other than, it costs the same to own a 3 bdrm, 2 bathroom, 2000 sq ft house in Fort Atkinson (including bills) than it does to rent a 2 bdrm 1 bath, 600 sq ft apartment in Cambridge.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I feel like you're correct, but like the others have said, not a fight worth fighting. All that bad energy will just follow you to your new home.

-Gene

CanuckSigns

My wife and I just bought our first house as well recently, In all my years of renting, i have found that it takes a certain type of person to be a landloard, that certain type is lazy, rude and completely un-reliable

ChicagoGraphics

You could have gotten out of your lease very easily and still can, just mention you had an inspector from your town out for something that was wrong with the apartment.

I got out of my lease plus got my security despoit back when I told the leasing agent
I call the city inspectors up, seems like they get very nervous when they hear that word.

ucmj22

Did you get that OK in writing? If not don't be surprised when you get the letter demanding the rest of the lease term.

In Wi. an oral contract termination can be admitted in court in which case the judge would look at the behavior of the landlord and tenant during the period in question to determine who is telling the truth.

Fanaticus

My wife and I just bought our first house as well recently, In all my years of renting, i have found that it takes a certain type of person to be a landloard, that certain type is lazy, rude and completely un-reliable

They think it's easy money. Just buy a rental unit, rent it out and sit back on vacation while the money rolls in. Then, when you want to retire from it, just sell the property and go on perma-vacation.

I notified them about leaking pipes, water marks appearing on the ceiling, a severe mold issue in the bathroom due to improper ventilation (I had to spray with bleach water EVERY day to keep the mold away)... even about metal "posts" that started to push their way through the blacktop on the driveway that I was concerned may pucture our vehicle's tires or our son might trip on them and get hurt. I brought to their attention that the rear patio door had a broken handle when we moved in and that a window screen had a big hole in it. I informed him that the 'mulch' he laid down around the bushes had, indeed, molded over and smelled horrible. We informed him that the dishwasher did not work and that the A/C did not work, and that the stove takes 40 minutes to preheat to 350 degrees and once heated took twice as long to cook something as the recipe calls for, sometimes 3 times as long (it once took me 6 hours to bake a cake, when the recipe said 70-80 minutes).

To all of which he said would be taken care of, but was not.

gnemmas

Now is the "perfect storm" for buying properties. Low prices and historically low interest rates. If you can qualify and have down payment that is.

Especially young men like you. You must have socked away for a while to come out with down payment. Now that you own your home with similar expense as renting, keep on saving those extras, so you can buy 2nd house or your business building, etc, etc.

By the time you are 60 ( as your former landlord ), those rental properties will be your retirement income!

Landlords are just like you and me, most are fair, very few are bad.