• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old Landlord says I must pay new tenants bills......

ucmj22

Now is the "perfect storm" for buying properties. Low prices and historically low interest rates. If you can qualify and have down payment that is.

Especially young men like you. You must have socked away for a while to come out with down payment. Now that you own your home with similar expense as renting, keep on saving those extras, so you can buy 2nd house or your business building, etc, etc.

By the time you are 60 ( as your former landlord ), those rental properties will be your retirement income!

Landlords are just like you and me, most are fair, very few are bad.

I was paying 450 mo for a 2 bed 1 ba apartment, we bought 2.5 years ago and pay 600 mo for a 3 bed 2 ba home and that includes property taxes and insurance for that 600. Best decision I ever made!

Flame

I was paying 450 mo for a 2 bed 1 ba apartment, we bought 2.5 years ago and pay 600 mo for a 3 bed 2 ba home and that includes property taxes and insurance for that 600. Best decision I ever made!

Can I move in with you? a 1 bedroom apt in town is like $700. My old townhouse was $1250 + a few hundred in utilities.

ucmj22

Can I move in with you? a 1 bedroom apt in town is like $700. My old townhouse was $1250 + a few hundred in utilities.

the good news is things are cheap (Relatively) where I live, the bad news is, That means my area pays Jack Squat

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on the new digs........................

Life is too short to get bent outa shape over this one. The landlord is basically in the wrong and just trying to strong-arm you. Just do as Pat said.... turn everything off and stop payments as of the 23rd or whatever the ending date on their records will indicate.

Let the law take care of itself and start enjoying your new home, while he enjoys his new God-sent tenants. It's soon gonna be their problem. He'll turn his attention away from you very quickly. He won't pay a cent to come after you. He's just a bully.

As for having an eye for your wife, that's your own dumb fault for knowing it and not doing anything about it. Did you ever use that to your advantage ??

ChicagoGraphics

Where in illinois are you, I had a 1 bd. condo paying almost 1900.00 month mprtgage in one of the nw suburbs of Chgo.

Maybe I should move down south and make the commute to chgo everyday, lol

Techman

you are not the victim here.
The landlord is. You broke your agreement.
Take the utils out of your name, pay the bill and move on.
All your energy spent trying to get out of paying $100 bux will cost you more in tress and lost life energy than it is worth.

After all. It is your karma. You broke the deal you have to face the wheel.

petepaz

check with your town/state there is a gov. dept that can tell you exactly what you are responsible for as a renter and it doesn't matter how gracious the landlord wants you to be. years ago i had issues with my mom's landlord when i moved her. they tried keeping her security and charging for things she wasn't legally responsible for and they never put her security in a bank account so there was no interest on the money and we had to guess what they would have owed (which i had to get an estimate from a bank in writing of about what the interest would have been for all those years) it was a crazy time and wasn't worth the money to go to court over for either party involved but my will was stronger than theirs so they finally just forked up some cash to get rid of me

ucmj22

Where in illinois are you, I had a 1 bd. condo paying almost 1900.00 month mprtgage in one of the nw suburbs of Chgo.

Maybe I should move down south and make the commute to chgo everyday, lol

NW burbs is your problem there! thats one of the most expensive areas in the state! I know I grew up around there. I am currently living near carbondale... Coal country

weaselboogie

The only thing that you could have done would be to withhold rent until reasonable requests are fixed. Its too late now, but the mold could have been an issue, the stove and mulch, not so much.

We looked into this while we rented. We had a leak and after several requests, we looked into some legal action. Through our local municipal (ohio) instead of paying to the landlord, you pay your rent to your local municipal and they withhold your rent to the landlord until the issue is FIXED.

With your issue, youre breaking your agreement. Turn off your utilities and move on.

slappy

You are NOT required to pay for utilities that you are NO longer using! When i bought my house and set my moving date, i called and notified the utility companies i had with my apartment. They asked me when i would move out. I told them the date and they simply came out and did a meter reading on the gas, water and electric and mailed me the final statement at my "new" address. The the utility bill will revert back to the landlord after the meter reading i believe. The utilities never were shut off except for the cable and internet. I moved out christmas eve and they had someone with-in the following week or 2 after.

Was there something in your lease stating you will pay utilities for the entire lease period whether you are living there or not?

oh, by the way.. (since people are tossing rent out there)
our apartment was a remodeled church with cathedral ceilings, a loft that you could see downstairs and 2 bedroom/1bath (4 closets/ one with wash and dryer hook up) and a huge living rooming/dining room with separate kitchen with arched ceiling and wooden beams. All for $410 a month :)

OldPaint

let him take you to court. when your wife gets on the stand, she can say how he was overly preoccupied and inappropriate with her. END OF STORY!!!
speaking as a landlord, our house in sarasota had a "mother in-law cottage" on the property so we rented it for the 12 years we lived there. paid half of the mortgage payment. i was always selective about who rented. and outa all the tenants i had one bozo!!! i knew it would be a problem, and the guys boss was puttin up any moneys to get his employee somewhere close to work so he didnt have to drive. i think he had gotten a DUI, and i knew he had a drinking problem. well, the guy wants to bring his dog in the apartment. i told him flat out its gona be a $500 deposit, for him, girlfriend and dog. his boss paid it. was hoping he wouldnt, really didnt want this guy in there. i was right. to get to the apartment, anyone going there had to drive past my house 1st. wasnt long before the 1st time the COPS came in the driveway with lights on. seems he would get drunk slap his girlfriend around, she call the cops then drop charges. more booze, party people and then he started doin crack!!!!! he got arrested for DUI or DRIVING ON CRACK and i told him he needed to start lookin for another place to live..........NOW FOR THE fun part. he moved out, him, dog & girlfriend and all his drunk/drugie friends GONE FINALLY. i went in the apprtment to see what needed done so i could rent it. WELLLLLL.. i pretty well had to gut the place!!!!! dog **** on the rug, left spots. bedroom carpet had blood on it, from him smackin his girlfriend. front door was busted, need neww frame/door as she locked him out one hight so he kicked the door in. we cleaned it all out put in new carpet, new door. found a new tenant. this took 2 months with out rent, and close to $1000 bucks to repair damages. you want a laugh?????????? this bozo had the kuonas TO ASK FOR HIS DEPOSIT!!!!!!!!! you dont want know what i told him........besides telling him i should send him a bill for $500 MORE FOR ALL THE DAMAGES!!!!

Last edited:

cwb143

what does this have to do with signs? Knock it off your taking up bandwidth. Just pay your bills and move on.
Ha ha ah " Joking " :)

copythat

Are you a doctor?

You have way too much patients. I would of curse him to HELL a long time ago! I've also been at both ends. You have more rights then you can imagine. That's why I rent.

Can you say Glock 9

royster13

Get a recording device and record all future calls with the landlord.....Providing you live in a state that allows 1 side to record such a conversation.....

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Landlords are just like you and me, most are fair, very few are bad.

I guess I must have had the exception ... have yet to really have one decent apartment that didn't require a thesis paper on what needed to be fixed when I first moved in only to see nothing ever done if I report something broken or malfunctioning that isn't involving a sewer pipe.