• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old member checking in once again!

Richard Flint

Hello everyone and hope you're all doing well. For those that don't know me, I've been in the sign business Since 1973 and have seen a lot of changes during those years. I'm semi-retired now and just take on smaller specialty projects such as hand painted signs, custom artwork and hand carved gold leaf signs as well as some vinyl graphic work too!

What's everyone's specialty in the business these days? Anyone on here still doing any hand lettering?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh, this place isn't about signs or the making of them anymore. It's all about buying the cheapest inks and vinyl, how to cut corners and not get caught, copying other peoples' artwork or copyright infringement, get around pulling permits and a myriad of other non-related sign issues of yesteryear.

However, if ya wanna get into some really outta sight arguments about religion, business ethics, politics or the latest song ya like, then ya come to the right place.

Welcome back................. :welcome:

:roflmao: Oh yeah, and finding fonts and other stuff, you're too lazy to do on your own...............

Stacey K

I like making signs
Oh Gino! It's not that bad! LOL

Welcome back! I do mostly signs, banners and vehicle graphics. I also do a lot of apparel. Most of my customers are small businesses. I just bought a printer last year and it's helped my business grow a lot.

Every now and then some of us ask questions that have some substance :)

mim

0_o
Welcome back! I just entered the sign world last year and I'm loving it. I mostly work with vinyl but the owner of the shop (also since 1973) has been teaching me hand lettering and pin striping techniques! Hopefully those skills/trades are never lost because they seem very special to old timers and interesting to new comers as well :)

d fleming

Oh, this place isn't about signs or the making of them anymore. It's all about buying the cheapest inks and vinyl, how to cut corners and not get caught, copying other peoples' artwork or copyright infringement, get around pulling permits and a myriad of other non-related sign issues of yesteryear.

However, if ya wanna get into some really outta sight arguments about religion, business ethics, politics or the latest song ya like, then ya come to the right place.

:roflmao: Oh yeah, and finding fonts and other stuff, you're too lazy to do on your own...............
:roflmao:

Richard Flint

Hi Gino, I think that's probably why I left the last time. lol! Oh well......everybody has an opinion that they just have to share regardless if it's about signs or not!

Richard Flint

Oh Gino! It's not that bad! LOL

Welcome back! I do mostly signs, banners and vehicle graphics. I also do a lot of apparel. Most of my customers are small businesses. I just bought a printer last year and it's helped my business grow a lot.

Every now and then some of us ask questions that have some substance :)
Hi Stacey, Tell Gino it's only as bad as you let it be! But he's probably right! lol! The sign business is like anything else, it just takes a lot of determination and ambition to succeed! Glad to hear you're staying current with technology. You need that in order to compete. Cheers!

Richard Flint

Welcome back! I just entered the sign world last year and I'm loving it. I mostly work with vinyl but the owner of the shop (also since 1973) has been teaching me hand lettering and pin striping techniques! Hopefully those skills/trades are never lost because they seem very special to old timers and interesting to new comers as well :)
When I started, you needed to be somewhat good at hand lettering if wanted to succeed! However, it took a lot of practice and determination to get to that next level. Which is where all the great ones strive to achieve. All I can say is "don't give up" because it's now a specialty business and you can make very good money doing it! Ask me how I know! :)

Johnny Best

I don't understand since it really seems like the ideal job! lol!
Will go slow, guy has not been in WalMart for a long time. He walks in the two automatic doors and says to the greeter in a red vest and says out loud. “have not been here for awhile”. The Greeter quickly tells him the place has changed. And not for the good. Hot dogs have gone up, toy section not nearly as big, can.t get good help and everybody is young and does not know the place. The Greeter then tells him to look around and there is a sale on stretch pants cause it looks like you put on some weight there Buddy.
Gino use to greet new people with “hi from Pennsylvania” but management scolded him for that. Ideal job for Gino For sure.

netsol

GOOD JOB, GINO,

After an introduction like that, the place won't seem half bad.

What a great strategy!

garyroy

Hello everyone and hope you're all doing well. For those that don't know me, I've been in the sign business Since 1973 and have seen a lot of changes during those years. I'm semi-retired now and just take on smaller specialty projects such as hand painted signs, custom artwork and hand carved gold leaf signs as well as some vinyl graphic work too!

What's everyone's specialty in the business these days? Anyone on here still doing any hand lettering?
Welcome back, Oh BTW, when people return after a year gone, they are responsible for bringing everyone Donuts and coffee their first morning back.
I'll PM you my address.;)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome back, Oh BTW, when people return after a year gone, they are responsible for bringing everyone Donuts and coffee their first morning back.
I'll take a sausage, egg and cheese on a bagel. Donuts are too rich for me.

Evan Gillette

Have seen a fair amount of your work around (I forget if it was magazines or where) and it always looks great. Any pictures of recent projects to show off? What size shop or equipment are you running in retirement?

Richard Flint

LOL! In the words of Rodney Dangerfield....."Tough Crowd, Tough Crowd!" This is the best I can do.....since this is what I do! :)

Attachments

• #19 Coffee Sign.jpg
    #19 Coffee Sign.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 100
  • Fresh Donuts.jpg
    Fresh Donuts.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 95