• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old Screens

Kelsey Adams

Have 2 screens that have sat for over a year with the emulsion burned into them as I did use the screens. Any special or extra steps I need to do to remove the emulsion other than using emulsion stripper?

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
A little confused by your post, but if they were never exposed then you'll need to expose them (just set them out in the sun for a little bit). If they were exposed then just hit them with your remover like normal. I've reclaimed screens that were multiple years old plenty of times.

jimbug72

We reclaim multiple years old screens often enough. No extra steps, same process as a screen coated last week.

d fleming

If they have not been exposed they should wash out with water and pressure sprayer. If they have, emulsion remover and pressure washer should do the trick. If they have any ink in them that thinner will not remove or if there is a ghost image haze remover should be in the mix.

Piersqsw

Can you recommend a good emulsion remover? I have some leftover concentrate at home, but I think its expiration date has long passed. This will be my first attempt to remove the emulsion from the old screens left by my father. He did silk screen printing and commercial printing and left a lot of stuff in his workshop that I now have to deal with. I think I'm going to have to remove soooo much emulsion, so I'd like to get the best option in the largest container available.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
If you're stuck with stubborn emulsion, caustic soda works - just watch you don't burn yourself - it's strong stinging stuff, and PPE is necessary.