• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

omega 6

bigben

Up here in Canada, we only got one distributor. I've tried to order it, but have been told it will take two weeks to enter the product in their system and get pricing. I wish I could order it elsewhere.

Chasez

Looks fairly decent, the find my font portion looks great if it works well. Will be interested to hear from someone who upgrades how well it works. Same with the new raster to vector options...

Hopefully the price isn't crazy to upgrade either... Would love yo upgrade right away but I think my 5.0 will have to do for now :p

Chaz

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working

artofacks1

For software upgrades that is expensive. If it was a new install that would make sense.

Looks fairly decent, the find my font portion looks great if it works well. Will be interested to hear from someone who upgrades how well it works. Same with the new raster to vector options...

Hopefully the price isn't crazy to upgrade either... Would love yo upgrade right away but I think my 5.0 will have to do for now :p

Chaz

From Omega 5 to Omega 6 appears to be insanely cheap: $345.00 through Hyatt's online. Other upgrades are relatively attractive as well.
We ended up getting a full package of Omega 5 CP for just a fuzz over $800 two years ago when we turned in an old GA dongle that was attached to a Gerber plotter we bought for a song.

http://www.hyatts.com/art/omega-5-0x-to-omega-6-0-upgrade-via-gsp-T11010

JRgraphics

Information needed about Omega 6

Hi all, I like the fact that Gerber has not left us behind by offering the new upgrade. If anyone gets this installed, please let us know if it is worth doing. From reading the list of new and improvements, I notice that most of the upgrades are fixes and simple updates to features the software all ready has. It's true that $345.00 is cheap for a Gerber upgrade and maybe you get what you pay for. :covereyes:

James Burke

For software upgrades that is expensive. If it was a new install that would make sense.

Seriously? That's pocket money for the privilege of grabbing onto the teats of a cash cow. After the first pull, it's all profit.

JB

artofacks1

Seriously? That's pocket money for the privilege of grabbing onto the teats of a cash cow. After the first pull, it's all profit.

JB

I'm a software engineer and know the price points of upgrades. That is expensive as far as the software market is concerned.

WildWestDesigns

I'm a software engineer and know the price points of upgrades. That is expensive as far as the software market is concerned.

I guess it would have to depend on what market you are used to.

In the market I am in, commercial software starts at $2k for full price, upwards on to $15k-$20. For my program, upgrade cost is $1,400. For one program, not for a suite a programs (primarily why I never understand why people had such a hard time with Adobe CS prices considering that was for more then 1 program).

I have found, the more niche the program, the higher the cost (and less chance for alternatives (cheap alternatives that are just as good) that aren't laughable (especially in the open source world)).

artofacks1

It's subjective but I feel with how tied in we are with Gerber once we paid for the Edge Fx and Envision cutter. We invest in buying gerber foil and material from them day in and day out to keep our business running.

If I was part of Gerber, my goal would be to improve the software; so that my clients that use my machines and buy material from us can consume more materials. How would I accomplish that? I would do that by suppling them with better software and improving the user experience with in the program.

Upgrade price $199 but I understand that $349 is minimal in the gran scheme of things looking at this once again using ignoring my engineering side of the brain.

James Burke

It's subjective but I feel with how tied in we are with Gerber once we paid for the Edge Fx and Envision cutter. We invest in buying gerber foil and material from them day in and day out to keep our business running.

If I was part of Gerber, my goal would be to improve the software; so that my clients that use my machines and buy material from us can consume more materials. How would I accomplish that? I would do that by suppling them with better software and improving the user experience with in the program.

Upgrade price $199 but I understand that $349 is minimal in the gran scheme of things looking at this once again using ignoring my engineering side of the brain.

That said, then it would make sense to develop some sort of loyalty incentive to reward Gerber owners who use OEM products.

JB

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Gerber is a multi billion dollar company who specializes in monetizing their proprietary technologies. Sometimes their thinking gets a little convoluted. The story goes that, in the early 1980's, Gerber was looking for new markets and opened the Manhattan Yellow Pages to find some prospects for shoe pattern technology. Unfortunately someone had torn those pages out and right beneath where they were was the Signs category. The rest is history.

I was exhibiting at a trade show in 1990 and had a conversation with Dan Sullivan who was the Executive VP at Gerber. They had recently introduced their Graphix Advantage software and had tied it electronically to different computers they supplied. If you took it on a 286 computer, it was $10,995. If you took it on a 486 (worth at the time about $1,000 more than a 286), the price was $24,995. I asked how he could justify that and he replied that the amount of work a client could get out was that much greater.

See what I mean.

The fact is that Gerber, SAi, and SignLab all charge significantly higher prices than do mass market publishers like Adobe or Corel. Last time I checked, Omega was around $3,500 for a license ... so $395 is chump change in the overall scheme of things.

As far as "investing"in their foil and material, there's plenty of after market competition. Besides, the reality is that you buy foils and materials because you have profitable orders to fill.

I suspect that the reason for the Omega 6 release wasn't to get into our checkbooks. It had more to do with keeping their image as a player in the sign industry alive and to satisfy demands from their distributors. But that may just be my own convoluted thinking. :ROFLMAO:

ChrisN

Not worth the upgrade price, in my opinion. Really, are there enough new features to warrant a new major version? Seems more like Omega 5.2 to me. The price they charge makes the old Adobe CS prices seem cheap!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
"Gerber is a multi billion dollar company" I only wish, my pension would look grand!!!

Well Tony, they've slipped a bit as they were acquired in 2011 for only $283 million. Back in the days when I was marketing my Scrappy™ Friction Feed Adapter, I looked up their public statements. In 1990, GSP sold $160 million dollars in vinyl alone ... not counting equipment to the sign industry along with the revenue from their other divisions. I'm pretty sure they were a multi billion dollar company back then.