• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One-step away from buying a channel letter bending machine.

AndersHerp

Something, something Dark Side
I've got a guy that runs our fab shop that was here before our company got our bender (all before I started working here). He uses explicit words to describe when they use to hand bend letters, so I would say it is worth it. But I guess it really depends on how many channel letter sets you are going to make with it in a year, and are you going to end up covering your cost.

MikePro

SDS makes the best machines and bends the tightest angles/radius, but pricey as hell. We've been rocking an Accubend for a decade now and love it. The SDS can hit 3x tighter bends, but it doesn't matter much if you're just making your standard 8"+ channel letters. Feels like a little trickery to get it setup', but that's what your time with the service tech is for. Once you get the process down, and know the limitations & how to setup your files, its incalculable how much physical labor and time you'll save.

I've seen plenty of used machines out there, but you'll definitely want a tech to help you set it up and guide you through your processes.
if you do take the plunge, double-down with a clinching machine like a Norlok

Brister signs

SDS is the company that I am talking to. They are the most expensive that I have come across, but they seem to be the best when it comes to reliability and performance.

JBurton

Signtologist
Maybe you'll be lucky like me, we've had ours for 6 months and churned out 8 sets so far. It's definitely easier, but it seemed like channel letter orders dropped off the instant we had it set up. We got the cheapest accubend, it's fine, but if I had to do it again I'd go for either an old model 26 or SDS.
How does the SDS handle artwork? Do you have to buy and use a version of Enroute just to make files. That's the most annoying part to me, as my fab guy has just enough computer skills to pick the next return to run, nothing more, so artwork modifications are all on me.

mikeefly

We are currently using an Accubend Ace and are getting ready to upgrade. We will be selling our current one if you are interested.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Our shop uses a CLN notcher and CLN bender. Does what they're supposed to do and, if you do have issues, you usually get a tech call from the owner of the company (or I did the two times I called, anyway).

rse290

We went with SDS about a year ago. Mainly use it for trimless exhibit type letters.
Have only made 1 set of actual channel letters for a building!
Once it's dialed in and you get the rout file side of it in line, everything works very nicely.

JBurton

Signtologist
Have only made 1 set of actual channel letters for a building!
This was my experience when we first bought ours. Suddenly everybody wants cabinets. Took quite a while to recall how to run the machine after that first run with the manual in hand...

We have a Varisigns letter bending machine S18 that has always worked well, we purchased it from Varibend 4 years ago and it is still running well, with no regrets about the machine or technical support. We plan on buying their handheld laser welder to replace our trimless letter Mig welder...

Bxtr

We bought an Accubend Freedom and just like said earlier once you understand the constraints of the machine and how to design for it. I was a great investment to compete with other local sign shops that had been doing them for years.
Is it the best machine out there? Probably not but we get better margins on this, plus we were already UL listed so it made sense to add this in. We also purchased a couple brakes to bend our own cabinets and retainers. It's nice not having to outsource this stuff and be on someones schedule.