• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Only Two Black Nozzles in Nozzle Check

Color Dude

Randy:

Taking my thunder..LOL!!!

I read this post before I went to measure a crashed sign can.

How old are these machines? Are they still under warranty? If you need parts let me know.

Compilla

There are two drain tubes on the bottom of the capping station for the VJ 1204/1304/16xx printers.
This is also the best way to remove air in lines.

Randya speaks the true!

I've been there, it is a pain to put the 2 lines back! Had to have my secretary to put them back, I got BIG hands.. lol

Randya, please let us know what was the culprit on this issue.

randya

I will let jiarby fill you in when he finds out what the culprit is.

He came into our demo room yesterday and printed his backlogged work, until his printer is up and running again.

We gave him a bit of homework to do to try and troubleshoot while he was here.

We chatted while printing, great guy, very interesting and I got the low down on his avatar as well....

Biker Scout

I'm printing again... but I still have just a couple of blocked nozzles. Not as bad as it was.

My capping station was not messed up, but rather the print head was cattywompus, and not flush. It looked flat and flush, but that was because I only had one perspective to view it. With the side cover off and the capping station removed, only then could I see the print head was not flat, but the back tilted up slightly. Obviously enough to not create suction. Did one cleaning cycle, and we're printing again!

Yeah, there's a couple of streaks... but for the few banners we've got, they'll mostly go unnoticed. It will at least buy me time to get the head cleaned properly.

About the print head being slightly askew... well, I'm pretty sure it was with the lowering the print head over the platen on some cleaning solution soaked wipes. So, next time I'll just pour the solution into the capping station, and never lower the print head onto wipes out on the platen.

I must say however, I am no longer squimish about digging into the bowels of the printer. It's actually really simple to perform a through cleaning. Removing the vacuum hoses and power flushing the ink sludge out of there really brought the printer back to life. I'm not crazy about the tiny little plastic hose barb reduction thing in between the little black hoses and the clear pump hose. That orfice is so small I had to clean it with a thin wire. Ink sludge gets clogged in there quite easily.

The black hose does however fit inside the clear hose perfectly without the barbed connector. And thus removing a potential blockage point. However, I'm sure it was engineered to fit there and the orfice size was created in a lab abord the international space station, and by removing it, the printer will never work the same again. So, as a disclaimer, don't do it. Unless the lords of Mutoh say it's fine. (Which I'm sure they won't, because they would never engineer such a foulable piece in their otherwise solid machine)

Quick question regarding the pump... Is it my imagination, or is the pump just massaging a "looped over itself" tube? From my study of it's operation, and suction power, it's almost as if the waste ink never even sees the inside of the pump or touches any vanes, rotary mechinism etc. Just a cam that presses on the tube itself in an alternating rythym, creating a cycle of air and forcing it out.

I wanted to remove it to clean it better, but how the thing is screwed in there, would be rather difficult without a real specialized screw driver, or disassembling most of the machine. So just flushing the lines with a syringe did the job.

All solvent printers (among others) use peristaltic pumps. A quick Google search on 'Peristaltic Pump' will explain their basic operation...your description is pretty accurate however.

Bob