• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ONYX and Graphtec BOTH CRAP!!!!!

steelskinz

Well here it is, another wasted day with Graphtec Crap Cutters and Onyx Rip you off garbage postershop. Each company blames the other. They both suck and I have to hand cut about 750 stickers. I've reset our CE5000-120 to factory default. Loaded it with firmware 3.20 and the newest Onyx firmware has been downloaded. I see these posts on here often. Its oil and water. Any problem solvers avaliable?

We did a test of 2 foot length and it was perfect on all accounts. We ran our decals in 6 foot lengths and crap machine reads first mark and poof! No dice.

Could do the old cutting master but have to fake crop marks. Not unless your a magician will that happen.

signage

It sounds like the media compensation is not set correctly! Did you measure the 6 foot length and was it right on? If the printer doesn't print out the correct length the OPUS will not find the marks and the longer the run the greater the error!

steelskinz

The media is correct. The opus reads the first mark and proceeds to the second mark. It reads y axis but when reading the x axis it throws a markerror.

cptcorn

adad
Every time I wanted to blame Mimaki, Onyx, or Wasatch or anything really, it's been my fault... You say it works fine on a smaller piece... are you lining everything up correctly in the machine? unroll the sheet, and measure the marks, are they equal?

jiarby

you gotta load the 6' sheet almost perfectly straight. How is the light where your cutter is located?? Any shadows?

steelskinz

Well had to do the job with illustrator to get it done. The cutter works with .ai files. Gonna try some more things with cut server over the weekend.

cptcorn

adad
Well had to do the job with illustrator to get it done. The cutter works with .ai files. Gonna try some more things with cut server over the weekend.

Ok, I will state Onyx Cut server is worthless... Only time I forced myself ot use it is if I had to tile a contour cut on a print... Wish I could figure out a way to do it with Mimaki FineCut

i'm also trying to build file in illustrator and cut with Graphtec

Well we have been hand cutting our large format graphics for sometime and I need to figure this out... We use Signlab daily to print and cut to our small Roland SP300. Now I would like to use my Mimaki to print and then cut with my Graphtec, Here's the question. First We have available Photoshop, Illustrator,Signlab at our disposal. Should I build this file in Illustrator with cropmarks and open it in Onyx to print? When we did this the crop marks appeared to be the wrong size ( not connected either like a L ) So we made the crop marks wider and connected them printed it with the Mimaki and used Signlab to make a contour cut and run it through the rip and print in Signlab and it found the first cropmark but from there it went off plot. There HAS to be an easer way... They suggest using Onyx to print the crop marks and also using Onyx to cut with the Graphtec but how do you get onyx to make a contour cut path? All to confusing... Any help out there????

miltondavis

my graphtec will randomly not be able to read target marks, most days is works perfect and other times it wont read to save your life.. reads the first one then not the second one.. Ive noticed light does seem to effect the reading of the target- I dont know if this will help, but I sometime put plain old clear scotch tape (has a matte finish) over a target mark on a glossy laminated print and it fixes the problem most times. best of luck, and I wonder does a $200k zund digital die cutter have problems like this?

Case

my graphtec will randomly not be able to read target marks, most days is works perfect and other times it wont read to save your life.. reads the first one then not the second one.. Ive noticed light does seem to effect the reading of the target- I dont know if this will help, but I sometime put plain old clear scotch tape (has a matte finish) over a target mark on a glossy laminated print and it fixes the problem most times. best of luck, and I wonder does a $200k zund digital die cutter have problems like this?

No it doesn't, but the high dollar zund cutter uses a high dollar video camera system to read the targets... Obviously, a better system.........But that is what you get with the $ difference.......The Zund is awesome...........

The Graphtecs, Summas, Mimaki, Gerber plotters are all good for their price range.........MOST of the time, not always of course, print to cut problems are operator error or on some of the plotters you have to do certain workarounds to make them work properly....

Case

Typestries

just a thought, cut a black vinyl circle and stick it over the target, then try to read again. It's either not straight enough or the back target is the victim of just enough drop out. One or the other are just slightly out of the plotters variables. We use onyx and cut server all day every day and yes, long prints can be a pain.

or, just do em in 2' sections, beats hand cutting.

gabagoo

with my Summa cutter and Flexi, I find at times the opus reader just cant read some registration marks. If something is freshly laminated...forget it... Cant see anything because of silvering. I also have cut little 3mm squares out of black vinyl and put them over the marks when the reader runs into problems. 75% of the time it works....but it really slows down production.

I have also found my opus reader actually registering itself to a mark that doesnt even exist...this is the scariest error as it die cuts everything wrong, so I generally watch sensitive prints to make sure it sees everything correctly before walking away.

It can be very frustrating to have to deal with issues like this when time is money. I dont envey you having to hand cut 700 decals...ouch
good luck